8 Vegan Foods You're Pronouncing Wrong
Take your veganism to the next level by saying these eight hard-to-pronounce words with confidence.
We’ve all been there: we’re at dinner, sitting across from someone we want to impress, casually glancing over the menu when our anxiety levels raise. The panic doesn’t come from our bosses asking us to work weekends or our dates telling us they’re married but rather those pesky, hard-to-pronounce ingredients listed on menus. "I’m vegan," we tell ourselves, "I’m supposed to know these things!" We don’t even think about scouring the back of every label—twice—to make sure there is no lactose or casein. We search the internet for superfood supplements and eschew beauty products with retinol or shellac. And still, we have no idea how to pronounce one of the most popular vegan cheese brands in existence.
Fear not, fellow unsure vegans: we’re here to help. For those of you who stopped referring to the Oxford English Dictionary the day you graduated college, VegNews has created a guide to help you pronounce popular menu items. We might not get you Saturdays off or your future partners to divorce their current partners, but we can make sure you order a seitan sandwich covered in Daiya and Vegenaise with conviction.
This seaweed extract used as a thickener and stabilizer is not as hard to pronounce as it looks. The g is hard as in grape, not “gee” like “gee whiz.”
Daiya may be a to-die-for cheese replacement, but the first syllable in this name sounds like day, as in, Daiya makes it easy to eat cheese everyday.
This ancient Peruvian superfood shares the first four letters of macaroni, but don’t pronounce it that way. Instead, pretend you’re about to belt out a verse of Macarena to get the pronunciation right. Just don’t blame us if you start dancing.
It’s just silly to pronounce the p at the beginning of this fiber supplement.
Chances are, you’ve mispronounced this to make it span three rather than two syllables but were corrected by a good friend. But in case you still stutter and sweat when you see this ancient grain on the menu, we’ll help you remember how to say this word properly: this device will help you stay “keen” to eat quinoa.
With two pronunciations, it doesn’t matter which you choose, so long as you stress both syllables equally. Otherwise, people might think you worship a certain underdweller.
If you’re saying speer-a-leena, you’re not alone, but you’re not right, either. Spirulina starts with spy and rhymes with Carolina as in “North Carolina.” We probably won’t change our ways, though—this incorrect pronunciation is staying with us.
This mayo-replacement is vegan, but that’s not its name. The g is soft, pronounced similarly to the g in VegNews.
Cover photo by Kathy Patalsky
5 Woman-Owned Vegan Businesses You Should Be Obsessed With
What's even better than a vegan business? A vegan business owned by a woman.
Read More »
6 Valentine's Day Gifts for that Vegan Curmudgeon in Your Life
Buy me D3 gummies, fancy moisturizer, and a ticket to see the Misfits, and Ill be your Valentine.
Read More »
6 Red-Hot Vegan Lipsticks To Drive Your Valentine Crazy
Make your Valentines Day even hotter with these all-vegan sexy shades for your lips.
Read More »
How a Vegan Canadian Figure Skater Prepared to Win Gold at the Winter Olympics
Meagan Duhamels intense fitness regimen and plant-based diet led her to that international Olympic podium.
Read More »
How to Be a Vegan Teen Valentine
Wear cool clothing, give amazing gifts, and watch Okja, and you can be my Valentine.
Read More »
- Vegan Valentine's Day Tips From No. 1 Best-Selling Author Kathy Freston
- 5 Vegan Turmeric Recipes for Those Who Are Slightly Intimidated by It
- How A Vegan Diet is Making ''Everything'' Easier for One Punk Singer
- Your Meat-Eating Friends Want One of These 10 Vegan Books
- 7 Ways to Veganize Your Bed, Just in Time for Valentine's Day
- 5 Steps to the Perfect Vegan Valentine's Day
- 8 Love-Infused Vegan Events to Celebrate Valentine's Day
- Thanks to These 7 Vegan Pies, We Have Declared National Pizza Day a Holiday
- No Valentine This Year? Try Vegan Speed Dating
- 6 Ways to Queer Your Vegan Valentine's Day
- Bought Too Many Vegan Girl Scout Cookies? Here are 10 Desserts You Should Make With Them
- Glow Up With These 18 Vegan Beauty Brands in 2018
- How One Chef is Getting NFL Players to Go Vegan
- From Struggling for Breath to Running Marathons: Veganism Saved His Life
- 6 Badass Vegan Women Who Don't Take Any Sh*t
- 10 Vegan Chip and Dip Match-Ups Fit For A Super Bowl Smackdown
- 20 Vegan Women You Need to Follow On Instagram Today
- A Rare Heart Disease Led this 60 Year-Old to Veganism: Veganism Saved Her Life
- How One Woman is Introducing Vegan Mexican Sweets to a Rural Southern California Desert
- 34 Reasons Why Vegans Are in the Cool Kids Club