8 Vegan Foods You're Pronouncing Wrong
Take your veganism to the next level by saying these eight hard-to-pronounce words with confidence.
We’ve all been there: we’re at dinner, sitting across from someone we want to impress, casually glancing over the menu when our anxiety levels raise. The panic doesn’t come from our bosses asking us to work weekends or our dates telling us they’re married but rather those pesky, hard-to-pronounce ingredients listed on menus. "I’m vegan," we tell ourselves, "I’m supposed to know these things!" We don’t even think about scouring the back of every label—twice—to make sure there is no lactose or casein. We search the internet for superfood supplements and eschew beauty products with retinol or shellac. And still, we have no idea how to pronounce one of the most popular vegan cheese brands in existence.
Fear not, fellow unsure vegans: we’re here to help. For those of you who stopped referring to the Oxford English Dictionary the day you graduated college, VegNews has created a guide to help you pronounce popular menu items. We might not get you Saturdays off or your future partners to divorce their current partners, but we can make sure you order a seitan sandwich covered in Daiya and Vegenaise with conviction.
This seaweed extract used as a thickener and stabilizer is not as hard to pronounce as it looks. The g is hard as in grape, not “gee” like “gee whiz.”
Daiya may be a to-die-for cheese replacement, but the first syllable in this name sounds like day, as in, Daiya makes it easy to eat cheese everyday.
This ancient Peruvian superfood shares the first four letters of macaroni, but don’t pronounce it that way. Instead, pretend you’re about to belt out a verse of Macarena to get the pronunciation right. Just don’t blame us if you start dancing.
It’s just silly to pronounce the p at the beginning of this fiber supplement.
Chances are, you’ve mispronounced this to make it span three rather than two syllables but were corrected by a good friend. But in case you still stutter and sweat when you see this ancient grain on the menu, we’ll help you remember how to say this word properly: this device will help you stay “keen” to eat quinoa.
With two pronunciations, it doesn’t matter which you choose, so long as you stress both syllables equally. Otherwise, people might think you worship a certain underdweller.
If you’re saying speer-a-leena, you’re not alone, but you’re not right, either. Spirulina starts with spy and rhymes with Carolina as in “North Carolina.” We probably won’t change our ways, though—this incorrect pronunciation is staying with us.
This mayo-replacement is vegan, but that’s not its name. The g is soft, pronounced similarly to the g in VegNews.
Cover photo by Kathy Patalsky
40 Things I Desperately Want to Eat at Los Angeles' Hottest Vegan Festival
My tupperware's set, I've only eaten kale the past four days, and I'm ready for Eat Drink Vegan.
Read More »
How to Throw the Ultimate Graduation Vegan Barbecue
Schools out for summer—or maybe even forever—so fire up the grill and treat yourself and your loved ones to the ultimate celebration.
Read More »
5 Ways to Celebrate a Vegan Mother's Day with Your Mom
Show your mom you love her with vegan food, gifts, and fun.
Read More »
7 Pampering Vegan Products That Say I Love You, Mom
This Mothers Day, say thanks to your mom by creating a relaxing environment that is ethical, cruelty-free, and aesthetically pleasing.
Read More »
Wicked Kitchen Chef Dishes on the Future of Vegan Food
Former Whole Foods UK chef Derek Sarno hops the pond to Tesco.
Read More »
- Why Going Vegan Can Help You Relax
- 3 Vegan Prom Makeup Looks
- The Ex-Airline Pilot Behind New York's Favorite Vegan Burger
- 10 Vegan Oatmeal Cups for the Person on the Go
- 8 Vegan Etsy Stickers That Your Car, Laptop, and Water Bottle Need, Like, Yesterday
- This 10-Minute Documentary Is Showing How Children Are Embracing Veganism
- It's Time for Men to Get Over Their Fears of Being Vegan
- We're Giving 5 Classic Films a Vegan Makeover
- VegFest Puerto Rico Built Community and Mainstreamed Veganism
- 8 Vegan Foods Making the 2018 Food-Trend List
- Fall in Love With Niagara's Vegan Scene
- If Trader Joe's Made These 11 Frozen Foods Vegan, We'd Never Have To Cook Again
- 8 Quirky Vegan Burritos To Make You Rethink Your Favorite Meal
- If You're a Broke Vegan Student, Read This
- It's Time Your Dog Went Vegan
- 6 Tips for Losing Weight on a Vegan Diet
- You're 8 Steps Away from Setting a Vegan Easter Table
- Did You Know César Chávez Was Also an Animal-Rights Activist?
- 10 Medical Reasons to Skip the Eggs on Easter
- 5 Startup Food Companies About to Revolutionize Veganism