7 Almost-Vegan Celebrities Were Rooting For
Mostly vegan is good, but fully vegan is better.
For many, making the switch to full-blown animal-free living isn’t a seamless transition, and as happy as we are about the net good “flexitarians” and “mostly vegans” do for animals, we’d love for them to go vegan—big name celebs included. In doing so, these people would provide a formidable voice in the vegan movement.
Here are 7 almost-vegans we’re standing by for with a jar full of nutritional yeast and open arms.
Who he is: Beatles founding member; People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals spokesperson; the reason Lisa Simpson is vegetarian
Veg status: The 73-year-old vegetarian reportedly has a taste for quiche and eggy breakfasts.
Our suggestion: Tofu scramble or Follow Your Heart’s VeganEgg made into a cruelty-free quiche (try this Quiche Florentine, Paul!)
Who she is: Grammy Award-winning artist; investor in 22 Days Nutrition vegan meal delivery service; Forbes’ most powerful female musician of 2015
Veg status: A 22-day vegan who now follows a “balanced” diet that includes meat and has caught flak for wearing fur
Our suggestion: The soul food-loving Houston native would have her cravings satiated by Oakland’s Souley Vegan, and could achieve a plush, luxe look with compassionate faux fur.
Who she is: Beloved 94-year-old actress and animal-lover; involved extensively with the world’s oldest existing guide dog school
Veg status: Her Hot in Cleveland co-star Wendie Malick says White “lives on hot dogs and vodka.”
Our suggestion: White’s spunky youthfulness could extend well past 100 if she were to switch to PETA-approved veggie dogs and new almond milk-based Bailey’s irish cream.
Who he is: Berkeley, CA-born rapper known for his positive lyrics; motivational speaker who’s lectured at UCLA, MIT, and Carnegie Mellon University
Veg status: Is “ashamed of eating meat”; founded the vegEMOJI app (in partnership with Follow Your Heart), which includes stickers and emojis with messages such as “cool people are kind to animals,” “keep it organic,” and “let’s adopt a dog”
Our suggestion: Step up your Vegenaise/omega-3 fatty acids game with VegNews’ recipe for Ranch Deviled Eggs.
Who she is: Number one-ranked women’s singles tennis player; widely regarded as the greatest female tennis player ever
Veg status: The pro follows a raw vegan diet during tennis season.
Our suggestion: There's no "offseason" for compassion, so consider going vegan full-time, and check out our vegan guide to tennis to learn how to avoid wool tennis balls and cow intestine strings.
Who he is: Ex-Daily Show host; owns the New Jersey outpost of Farm Sanctuary with wife Tracey, a long-time vegan
Veg status: A vegetarian since 2015, Stewart made headlines when he declined a “welcome” beef jerky when visiting a South Dakota senator, for saving a runaway NYC bull, and for his love of vegan butcher shop The Herbivorous Butcher in Minneapolis, MN.
Our suggestion: Take full advantage of your relationship with veg butchers by swapping out dairy cheese for Camembert, Dill Havarti, and Spicy Queso Blanco dairy-free cheeses.
Who he is: Former Rage Against the Machine guitarist, political activist, and current member of the new supergroup Prophets of Rage
Veg status: An on-and-off-again vegetarian since college who eats fish regularly and is “lured” by turkey during Thanksgiving.
Our suggestion: Tofurky, duh.
40 Things I Desperately Want to Eat at Los Angeles' Hottest Vegan Festival
My tupperware's set, I've only eaten kale the past four days, and I'm ready for Eat Drink Vegan.
Read More »
How to Throw the Ultimate Graduation Vegan Barbecue
Schools out for summer—or maybe even forever—so fire up the grill and treat yourself and your loved ones to the ultimate celebration.
Read More »
5 Ways to Celebrate a Vegan Mother's Day with Your Mom
Show your mom you love her with vegan food, gifts, and fun.
Read More »
7 Pampering Vegan Products That Say I Love You, Mom
This Mothers Day, say thanks to your mom by creating a relaxing environment that is ethical, cruelty-free, and aesthetically pleasing.
Read More »
Wicked Kitchen Chef Dishes on the Future of Vegan Food
Former Whole Foods UK chef Derek Sarno hops the pond to Tesco.
Read More »
- Why Going Vegan Can Help You Relax
- 3 Vegan Prom Makeup Looks
- The Ex-Airline Pilot Behind New York's Favorite Vegan Burger
- 10 Vegan Oatmeal Cups for the Person on the Go
- 8 Vegan Etsy Stickers That Your Car, Laptop, and Water Bottle Need, Like, Yesterday
- This 10-Minute Documentary Is Showing How Children Are Embracing Veganism
- It's Time for Men to Get Over Their Fears of Being Vegan
- We're Giving 5 Classic Films a Vegan Makeover
- VegFest Puerto Rico Built Community and Mainstreamed Veganism
- 8 Vegan Foods Making the 2018 Food-Trend List
- Fall in Love With Niagara's Vegan Scene
- If Trader Joe's Made These 11 Frozen Foods Vegan, We'd Never Have To Cook Again
- 8 Quirky Vegan Burritos To Make You Rethink Your Favorite Meal
- If You're a Broke Vegan Student, Read This
- It's Time Your Dog Went Vegan
- 6 Tips for Losing Weight on a Vegan Diet
- You're 8 Steps Away from Setting a Vegan Easter Table
- Did You Know César Chávez Was Also an Animal-Rights Activist?
- 10 Medical Reasons to Skip the Eggs on Easter
- 5 Startup Food Companies About to Revolutionize Veganism