Vegan Weddings 2016 (Malissa Schwartz & Chad Sarno)
Work brought Malissa Schwartz and Chad Sarno together, but it was their love of healthy living that makes them inseparable.
The big day: August 14, 2015
The place: Huntsville, UT
Honeymoon: Spa-and-hiking excursion across the Southwest
The cake: Vanilla and chocolate with lemon curd and raspberry jam fillings, and vanilla buttercream frosting
Menu standouts: Fresh manicotti with Nana’s red sauce; hearts of palm crabcakes; stuffed zucchini blossoms
Guest swag: Organic tomato and basil seed packets with Nana’s marinara recipe, chocolates, and popcorn
Their story: East Coast Italian boy meets Mormon-raised Utah girl and love ensues—not the most obvious plotline for a contemporary love story, but with plant-based living as a binding force, romantic success is bound to follow. Austin-based Chad Sarno and Big Apple-living Malissa Schwartz crossed paths through work (he as a chef and healthy-eating consultant, she as a plant-based health and nutrition coach) and became “instant friends.” When their friendship blossomed into something more, Malissa’s mobile lifestyle and sense of adventure prompted a move to the Lone Star State. Together, she, Chad, and Amaya, Chad’s 10-year-old daughter, formed a tight trio.
The wedding: “We’re mountain and tree people,” Chad says. “Nature is our temple.” The duo lets these values guide their planning, choosing a wedding destination that was literally breathtaking. Atop a 9,000-foot peak in northern Utah, the couple and their guests were treated to views across a majestic valley dotted with lakes and wildflowers. The ceremony—held on the auspicious new moon—was infused with family heritage, including a Native American blessing and blanket-wrapping ceremony officiated by Malissa’s 90-year-old grandmother. “There was a lot of laughter and a lot of tears,” the bride says. When your plant-based posse includes acclaimed chefs such as Tal Ronnen and Derek Sarno (who moonlights as Chad’s brother), you know you’re in for a gustatory extravaganza. Chad’s close friends at Kite Hill Cheese, Field Roast, Follow Your Heart, Gardein, and Miyoko’s Kitchen were just a few who showed their support with generous edible gifts, which converged into an Italian-inspired menu (a nod to Chad’s Nana) to form a vegan epicure’s fantasy feast. At the reception, Malissa morphed into a glamorous bohemian rock star, belting out a rousing rendition of Cheap Trick’s “I Want You To Want Me” with her band The Molly Shannons. Amaya performed a song she wrote especially for the occasion, while papa beamed from the sidelines in his stylish suit with “wicked healthy” and “plant pusher” stitched into the pocket and lapel. The wedding party—nearly a dozen children strong—tore up the dance floor, and the big kids at heart joined them, dancing into the night.
We give you our 2016 Vegan Wedding Couples!
Alex Payne & Nicole Brodeur (Woodstock, NY)
Andrea Dermos & Kyle Domer (Laguna Beach, CA)
Malissa Schwartz & Chad Sarno (Huntsville, UT)
Jac Reasor & Jae Russell (Cleveland, OH)
Why Going Vegan Can Help You Relax
Are you someone who practices mindful meditation? If so, heres why you should be vegan (if you arent already).
Read More »
Want Political Change? It's Time to Start Voting Vegan
Lets put ethical, moral, and environmentally conscious champions in government.
Read More »
5 Reasons Your Next Vacation Should Be Aboard the Vegan Holistic Holiday at Sea
A 10-night vegan cruise with healthy food and a plethora of plant-based celebs? Yes, please!
Read More »
How Do You Remember 100 Songs in 4 Days? For Pop-Punk Band Alkaline Trio, the Answer is Veganism
Matt Skiba says eschewing dairy helps with his voice and his on-stage energy level.
Read More »
5 Woman-Owned Vegan Businesses You Should Be Obsessed With
What's even better than a vegan business? A vegan business owned by a woman.
Read More »
- 6 Valentine's Day Gifts for that Vegan Curmudgeon in Your Life
- 6 Red-Hot Vegan Lipsticks To Drive Your Valentine Crazy
- How a Vegan Canadian Figure Skater Prepared to Win Gold at the Winter Olympics
- How to Be a Vegan Teen Valentine
- Vegan Valentine's Day Tips From No. 1 Best-Selling Author Kathy Freston
- 5 Vegan Turmeric Recipes for Those Who Are Slightly Intimidated by It
- How A Vegan Diet is Making ''Everything'' Easier for One Punk Singer
- Your Meat-Eating Friends Want One of These 10 Vegan Books
- 7 Ways to Veganize Your Bed, Just in Time for Valentine's Day
- 5 Steps to the Perfect Vegan Valentine's Day
- 8 Love-Infused Vegan Events to Celebrate Valentine's Day
- Thanks to These 7 Vegan Pies, We Have Declared National Pizza Day a Holiday
- No Valentine This Year? Try Vegan Speed Dating
- 6 Ways to Queer Your Vegan Valentine's Day
- Bought Too Many Vegan Girl Scout Cookies? Here are 10 Desserts You Should Make With Them
- Glow Up With These 18 Vegan Beauty Brands in 2018
- How One Chef is Getting NFL Players to Go Vegan
- From Struggling for Breath to Running Marathons: Veganism Saved His Life
- 6 Badass Vegan Women Who Don't Take Any Sh*t
- 10 Vegan Chip and Dip Match-Ups Fit For A Super Bowl Smackdown