Vegan Weddings 2016 (Andrea Dermos & Kyle Domer)
Random tweets lead this couple to romance, a cross-country move, and founding a vegan business.
Andrea Dermos & Kyle Domer
The big day: April 18, 2015
The place: Laguna Beach, CA
Honeymoon: Southern states road trip
The cake: Red velvet with whipped cream filling and frosting
Menu standouts: Fried pickles and okra with Cajun mayo; seitan with jezebel sauce, braised collards, and mac ‘n’ cheese; mini doughnuts with vintage-style bottles of chocolate and vanilla cashew milk
Guest swag: Vegan chocolates from Sjaak’s and cruelty-free grooming goodies from Fanciful Fox
Their story: Southern California native Kyle Domer and Chicago-born Andrea Dermos launched their courtship in a thoroughly modern manner: on Twitter. When cross-country tweets turned into direct messages, the longtime vegans didn’t waste time before swapping virtual romance for the real deal, merging their personal and professional lives. In 2012, Andrea and Kyle launched Phoney Baloney’s Coconut Bacon based on Kyle’s secret recipe. On a Valentine’s trip to San Francisco in 2014, Kyle proposed to Andrea with a conflict-free diamond ring in front of “Cupid’s Span,” a pop art bow-and-arrow sculpture on the scenic Embarcadero waterfront. Kyle hadn’t taken into consideration the rush-hour traffic and the commotion they would cause. “People were slowing down in their cars, hooting, honking, and cheering us on,” Andrea says. “It was great!”
The wedding: Photo-sharing app Pinterest played a large role in the wedding planning, giving Kyle and Andrea ideas for venues, outfits, and party favors. The couple then chose a theme (“SoCal Soul”) to match their menu, secured their attire, and decided on a color palette (blue and pink) that found its way down to their toes: Kyle sported limited-edition Gucci rubber loafers in a deep midnight, while Andrea wore cotton candy-colored Vivienne Westwood pumps. The duo decided on a long wedding weekend, renting a boutique seaside hotel in swanky Laguna Beach, CA. To make it easier for the hotel chef to create the Southern-inspired vegan menu, Kyle and Andrea met him in advance to provide ideas for sourcing vegan meats and cheeses, but he surprised them by making everything—from the barbecue jackfruit sliders to the chicken-fried seitan— from scratch. Family also played a prominent role during the day’s festivities. Kyle and Andrea’s oldest canine companion, Oscar the wiener dog, walked the ring-bearer down the aisle, and at the reception, Kyle surprised Andrea by dispensing shots of ouzo, a nod to Andrea’s Greek Cypriot heritage, while music from the old country played in the background.
We give you our 2016 Vegan Wedding Couples!
Alex Payne & Nicole Brodeur (Woodstock, NY)
Andrea Dermos & Kyle Domer (Laguna Beach, CA)
Malissa Schwartz & Chad Sarno (Huntsville, UT)
Jac Reasor & Jae Russell (Cleveland, OH)
How Do You Remember 100 Songs in 4 Days? For Pop-Punk Band Alkaline Trio, the Answer is Veganism
Matt Skiba says eschewing dairy helps with his voice and his on-stage energy level.
Read More »
5 Woman-Owned Vegan Businesses You Should Be Obsessed With
What's even better than a vegan business? A vegan business owned by a woman.
Read More »
6 Valentine's Day Gifts for that Vegan Curmudgeon in Your Life
Buy me D3 gummies, fancy moisturizer, and a ticket to see the Misfits, and Ill be your Valentine.
Read More »
6 Red-Hot Vegan Lipsticks To Drive Your Valentine Crazy
Make your Valentines Day even hotter with these all-vegan sexy shades for your lips.
Read More »
How a Vegan Canadian Figure Skater Prepared to Win Gold at the Winter Olympics
Meagan Duhamels intense fitness regimen and plant-based diet led her to that international Olympic podium.
Read More »
- How to Be a Vegan Teen Valentine
- Vegan Valentine's Day Tips From No. 1 Best-Selling Author Kathy Freston
- 5 Vegan Turmeric Recipes for Those Who Are Slightly Intimidated by It
- How A Vegan Diet is Making ''Everything'' Easier for One Punk Singer
- Your Meat-Eating Friends Want One of These 10 Vegan Books
- 7 Ways to Veganize Your Bed, Just in Time for Valentine's Day
- 5 Steps to the Perfect Vegan Valentine's Day
- 8 Love-Infused Vegan Events to Celebrate Valentine's Day
- Thanks to These 7 Vegan Pies, We Have Declared National Pizza Day a Holiday
- No Valentine This Year? Try Vegan Speed Dating
- 6 Ways to Queer Your Vegan Valentine's Day
- Bought Too Many Vegan Girl Scout Cookies? Here are 10 Desserts You Should Make With Them
- Glow Up With These 18 Vegan Beauty Brands in 2018
- How One Chef is Getting NFL Players to Go Vegan
- From Struggling for Breath to Running Marathons: Veganism Saved His Life
- 6 Badass Vegan Women Who Don't Take Any Sh*t
- 10 Vegan Chip and Dip Match-Ups Fit For A Super Bowl Smackdown
- 20 Vegan Women You Need to Follow On Instagram Today
- A Rare Heart Disease Led this 60 Year-Old to Veganism: Veganism Saved Her Life
- How One Woman is Introducing Vegan Mexican Sweets to a Rural Southern California Desert