Two Sisters and Their Vegan Weddings
What do you get when you combine two creative sisters, two dashing grooms, and two different but equally vegan weddings?
Emily Hunt & Matt Kivel
The big day: August 22, 2105
The place: Napa Valley, CA
Honeymoon: Road trip along the California coast
The cake: Chocolate with cream cheese buttercream; vanilla-rum with vanilla buttercream; coconut with strawberry buttercream
Menu standouts: Southern-fried tofu; mac ‘n’ cheese; okra gumbo
Guest swag: Elegant brass key-ring bottle openers
Their story: Emily, a writer and vegan since 2011, and Matt, a musician and speechwriter, kicked off the wedding season with their August nuptials. The pair met on an airplane four years earlier, then settled in for love’s long haul.
The wedding: Emily and Matt chose the Hunt family home in Napa Valley as their celebration destination and had Oakland, CA’s Souley Vegan cater a soul-food feast. “Right after we got married,” Matt says, “Emily and I went into the house, toasted each other, and talked, just the two of us, for 15 minutes. Getting married is really about two people, and I liked being reminded of that.”
Jena Hunt & Nick Abraham
The big day: December 19, 2015
The place: San Francisco, CA
Honeymoon: Island getaway to Jamaica
The cake: Lemon-vanilla with Meyer lemon-lavender buttercream
Menu standouts: Crostini with Italian butter bean purée and artichoke relish; wild mushroom filo purse with spinach and pine nuts; butternut squash-sweet potato gratin
Guest swag: Vegan lollipops from The Groovy Baker
Their story: Like her sister Emily, writer/editor Jena Hunt grew up vegetarian in Petaluma, CA, the “Egg Capital of the World.” She and Eugene, OR-raised Nick—an emergency room doctor—fell in love in 2014 at a Mexican restaurant on Cinco de Mayo, exchanging amorous looks across the bar. “Nick claims he wanted to marry me from that evening on,” Jena says. One year to the day later, Nick proposed.
The wedding: After a poetry-infused ceremony at San Francisco’s Swedenborgian Church—where Jena and Emily’s grandparents were married in the 1950s—Jena and Nick’s party moved to landmark dining spot Greens, where Jena’s parents held their post-nuptial celebration three decades earlier. “We knew we’d have many guests for whom this would be a first introduction to vegan food,” Jena says, “so it had to be impressive. With its high-beamed ceilings, simple driftwood décor, and views of the marina, Golden Gate Bridge, and Alcatraz Island, Greens was the perfect choice.
We give you our 2016 Vegan Wedding Couples!
Alex Payne & Nicole Brodeur (Woodstock, NY)
Andrea Dermos & Kyle Domer (Laguna Beach, CA)
Malissa Schwartz & Chad Sarno (Huntsville, UT)
Jac Reasor & Jae Russell (Cleveland, OH)
4 Vegan Cookbooks For Your Holiday Gift List, Plus What to Pre-Order for 2018
Give the most delicious gift of all with one of these outstanding vegan cookbooks.
Read More »
5 Fun Holiday Movies that Vegans Can Enjoy
Enjoy the spirit of the season while learning a message about compassion with these five flicks.
Read More »
How a 30-Day Vegan Bet Turned Me into a Media Powerhouse
Six years ago, I went vegan to help my wife and her celiac disease. Now, were ethical vegans, and I have a blog, two books, and an internet cooking show.
Read More »
You Are 5 Minutes Away From Having the Perfect Vegan Winter Face
Get your seasonal glow in less time than it takes to brew your morning coffee.
Read More »
VegNews Holiday Cookie Contest 2017 Finalists
Drum roll, please! We present the 10 finalists in this year's VegNews Holiday Cookie Contest.
Read More »
- 18 Vegan Things We Can't Wait to Try in 2018
- Top 10 Vegan Stories of 2017
- No, Hemp Will Not Get You High. Yes, You Need it Anyway.
- 10 Vegan Beauty Products at CVS That Will Save You Some Coin
- Dear Vegans: The Holidays Don't Have to Suck
- 8 Vegan Winter Boots That Will Make You Look Hot
- Top 10 Vegan News Stories of 2017
- 4 Easy Ways to Support Animals During the Holidays
- Veganizing Korean Food, As Told By An American Expat
- VegNews Vegan Wedding Application 2018
- The Healthcare Industry Will Go Completely Vegan, If These Doctors Have Anything to Do With It
- 9 Vegan Cosmetics Youll Buy as Holiday Gifts, Then Probably Keep For Yourself
- If You're A Vegan Stoner, We Have the Perfect Cooking Competition for You
- Forget Milk and Eggs. These 8 Vegan Substitutes Will Make Your Holiday Baked Goods 100 Times Better
- 5 Reasons Animal Testing Will Soon Be a Thing of the Past
- 4 Incredible Ways Animals Can Help Your Child in Need
- VegNews Holiday Gift Guide 2017
- Vegan Black Friday Deals That Will Make You Whip Out Your Credit Card
- 9 Things VegNews Editors Are Thankful For
- Stand in Line (or Not) for These 5 Vegan Black Friday and Cyber Monday Deals