Two Sisters and Their Vegan Weddings
What do you get when you combine two creative sisters, two dashing grooms, and two different but equally vegan weddings?
Emily Hunt & Matt Kivel
The big day: August 22, 2105
The place: Napa Valley, CA
Honeymoon: Road trip along the California coast
The cake: Chocolate with cream cheese buttercream; vanilla-rum with vanilla buttercream; coconut with strawberry buttercream
Menu standouts: Southern-fried tofu; mac ‘n’ cheese; okra gumbo
Guest swag: Elegant brass key-ring bottle openers
Their story: Emily, a writer and vegan since 2011, and Matt, a musician and speechwriter, kicked off the wedding season with their August nuptials. The pair met on an airplane four years earlier, then settled in for love’s long haul.
The wedding: Emily and Matt chose the Hunt family home in Napa Valley as their celebration destination and had Oakland, CA’s Souley Vegan cater a soul-food feast. “Right after we got married,” Matt says, “Emily and I went into the house, toasted each other, and talked, just the two of us, for 15 minutes. Getting married is really about two people, and I liked being reminded of that.”
Jena Hunt & Nick Abraham
The big day: December 19, 2015
The place: San Francisco, CA
Honeymoon: Island getaway to Jamaica
The cake: Lemon-vanilla with Meyer lemon-lavender buttercream
Menu standouts: Crostini with Italian butter bean purée and artichoke relish; wild mushroom filo purse with spinach and pine nuts; butternut squash-sweet potato gratin
Guest swag: Vegan lollipops from The Groovy Baker
Their story: Like her sister Emily, writer/editor Jena Hunt grew up vegetarian in Petaluma, CA, the “Egg Capital of the World.” She and Eugene, OR-raised Nick—an emergency room doctor—fell in love in 2014 at a Mexican restaurant on Cinco de Mayo, exchanging amorous looks across the bar. “Nick claims he wanted to marry me from that evening on,” Jena says. One year to the day later, Nick proposed.
The wedding: After a poetry-infused ceremony at San Francisco’s Swedenborgian Church—where Jena and Emily’s grandparents were married in the 1950s—Jena and Nick’s party moved to landmark dining spot Greens, where Jena’s parents held their post-nuptial celebration three decades earlier. “We knew we’d have many guests for whom this would be a first introduction to vegan food,” Jena says, “so it had to be impressive. With its high-beamed ceilings, simple driftwood décor, and views of the marina, Golden Gate Bridge, and Alcatraz Island, Greens was the perfect choice.
We give you our 2016 Vegan Wedding Couples!
Alex Payne & Nicole Brodeur (Woodstock, NY)
Andrea Dermos & Kyle Domer (Laguna Beach, CA)
Malissa Schwartz & Chad Sarno (Huntsville, UT)
Jac Reasor & Jae Russell (Cleveland, OH)
Vegan Food Will Be Served at the NFL Draft, Thanks to This Dallas Chef
EatSoulGoods organic food is converting people to veganism by showing customers that cruelty-free doesnt have to taste like cardboard.
Read More »
5 Vegan Responses When Your Health Teacher Tells You to Eat Meat
If youre a vegan high school student, health class just might be the hardest course to pass.
Read More »
Vegan Self-Publishing in 4 Easy Steps
Share your work with the world, and spread the vegan message? Yes, and yes.
Read More »
Vegan St. Patricks Day 101
Learn about St. Pattys Day parades, vegan food and drinks, and the man who started it all.
Read More »
You're 8 Steps Away from Setting a Vegan Easter Table
This year, set your Easter table with cruelty-free plates, faux-grass runners, eggless-eggs, and compostable dessert plates.
Read More »
- It's Time You Talked to Your Parents About Your Veganism
- 5 Life Lessons I Learned in the Prison Garden
- The 10 Vegan Swag Bag Items That Will Make You Wish You Were Going to the Oscars
- Want to Make Sure Your College Choice Is as Vegan as You Are? Here's How
- 8 Vegan Etsy Stickers That Your Car, Laptop, and Water Bottle Need, Like, Yesterday
- Rapper Styles P's Juice Shops are Introducing More Hip-Hop Fans to Plant-Based Living
- Cafeterias Across the Country are Going Vegan. Here's Why ...
- We'd Love These 10 Celebs Even More if They Went Vegan
- Why Going Vegan Can Help You Relax
- Want Political Change? It's Time to Start Voting Vegan
- A Vegan Teen Guide to Ordering Food at Non-Vegan Restaurants
- 5 Reasons Your Next Vacation Should Be Aboard the Vegan Holistic Holiday at Sea
- How Do You Remember 100 Songs in 4 Days? For Pop-Punk Band Alkaline Trio, the Answer is Veganism
- 5 Woman-Owned Vegan Businesses You Should Be Obsessed With
- 6 Valentine's Day Gifts for that Vegan Curmudgeon in Your Life
- 6 Red-Hot Vegan Lipsticks To Drive Your Valentine Crazy
- How a Vegan Canadian Figure Skater Prepared to Win Gold at the Winter Olympics
- How to Be a Vegan Teen Valentine
- Vegan Valentine's Day Tips From No. 1 Best-Selling Author Kathy Freston
- 5 Vegan Turmeric Recipes for Those Who Are Slightly Intimidated by It