The Top 15 Vegan Stories of 2016
Want to know the hottest vegan lifestyle stories of 2016? Here are your top 15 favorite reads of the year.
Whether it was the best cities across the US or hacks to dairy-free Starbucks drinks, VegNews' readers couldn’t get enough of veganism—all facets of it—in 2016. In honor of the vegan lifestyle becoming more popular than ever this year, we’ve compiled a list of the 15 most-read features on VegNews.com so that we can look back at all that’s been accomplished—and look forward to even more to come in 2017.
1. Vegan Baking Substitution Guide
VegNews readers had their ovens in overdrive in 2016, as our ultimate how-to guide on cruelty-free swaps topped the list this year.
2. 10 (Mouthwatering) Vegan Frappuccinos at Starbucks
2016 was the hottest year on record and vegans wanted to cool down just like everyone else. Our vegan Frappuccino hacks were just the way to do it.
3. 11 Stellar Vegan Jackfruit Recipes
From mu shu lettuce wraps to mint smoothies, there wasn't anything we wouldn't add this Southeast Asian fruit to this year.
4. 10 Surprising Animal Ingredients Lurking on Store Shelves
Confectioner’s glaze, L-cysteine, and lactic acid—VegNews readers found out exactly why they should double-check for these innocuous-sounding ingredients in their cupboards.
5. 12 Best Towns for Vegan Living
Forget Portland, Austin, and Los Angeles—the real vegan gems are in Maine, Kansas, and North Carolina.
6. The Three-Day Detox Plan Anyone Can Do
Looking to jumpstart your 2017? This plant-based plan got plenty of folks off the the right start this year.
7. 12 Surprising Vegan Meals at Fast-Food Restaurants
Did you know that with a little ingenuity and menu know-how, you could score solid vegan meals at Dunkin’ Donuts, Domino’s, and—yes—even McDonald’s?
8. 25 Best Vegan Food Finds at Target
There are vegan treasures to be found all throughout the red-and-white superstore, and VegNews readers knew exactly where to find them thanks to our handy guide.
9. 5 Must-Have Vegan Starbucks Snacks (+Drink Pairings)
Our resident Vegan Barista cracks the top 15 again with this guide to all things snacks at the world’s largest coffee chain.
10. The VegNews Guide to Vegan Halloween Candy
Peanut butter cups, fruity chews, caramels and more—if it’s vegan we told you about it in our annual guide to Halloween candy.
11. 5 Ways Being Vegan Saves the Planet
We always knew vegans were superheroes, but the number 11 story of 2016 confirms why!
12. 6 Tips for Losing Weight on a Vegan Diet
Aside from keeping our consciences clean, a whole-foods, plant-based diet can also help keep us trim. Win-win!
13. 10 Totally Veganized Holiday Starbucks Drinks
With hacks to drinks such as Vegan Caramel Brulée Lattes, Peppermint Hot Chocolates, and Holiday Spice Flat Whites, is it any wonder VegNews readers flocked to this list?
14. The VegNews Guide to Vegan Chocolate
No surprises here—who doesn’t love chocolate? (Especially when it’s creamy, dreamy, and dairy-free!)
15. 7 Vegan Starbucks Drinks Just in Time for Fall
Noticing a trend here?
5 Things You Learn After Veg Speed Dating
Meeting vegan singles is fun—and only slightly awkward.
Read More »
How to Combat the USDA's Animal Welfare Blackout
The government just made it nearly impossible to track the abuse of millions of animals used in laboratories each year. VegNews speaks to Beagle Freedom Project founder Shannon Keith to find out what we can do to weather the blow.
Read More »
6 Things to Know about Fat Shaming Among Vegans
Sometimes, questionable intentions and misguided attitudes can collide in the form of discrimination, but theres hope for us yet.
Read More »
VegNews Top 8 Ways to Celebrate Valentines Day
Dreamy V-Day proposals, plant-based aphrodisiacs, and salacious chocolate bites are just the start of how you should celebrate your February 14.
Read More »
4 Tips for Nurturing a Great Vegan Romance
Just because someone else is vegan, youre not necessarily going to live happily ever after—even if youre Mistress Ginger.
Read More »
- 5 Dreamy Vegan Valentine's Day Proposals
- 6 Ways to Queer Your Vegan Valentines Day
- 9 Movie-and-Food Combinations for the Single Vegan on Valentines Day
- 6 Ways to Woo a Vegan Girl Online
- Animals in Love: 5 Species That Commit
- 6 Books Changing Veganism in 2017
- 5 Dating Tips from a Vegan Dating Expert
- 5 Heart Health Tips from Plant-Based Medical Pros
- 5 Ways to Heat Up Your Sex Life on Valentines Day
- 12 Vegan Non-Food Gifts to Woo Your Sweetheart This Valentines Day
- 4 Ways to Find Love as a Vegan Using Mobile Apps
- 10 Vegan Game Day Cocktails
- 10 Vegan Chip and Dip Match-Ups Fit For A Super Bowl Smackdown
- An Interview with the Worlds Longest-Running Cat Whisperer
- Top 10 Vegan Body Oils in Stores Now
- 5 Ways 2016 Completely Changed Veganism
- 3 Things Ive Learned Since Working with Chickens
- The VegNews Guide to Vegan Girl Scout Cookies
- Veganism Saved My Life: Jeremy Bartel
- 5 Vegan Beauty Tips from Mistress Ginger