The Top 15 Vegan Stories of 2016
Want to know the hottest vegan lifestyle stories of 2016? Here are your top 15 favorite reads of the year.
Whether it was the best cities across the US or hacks to dairy-free Starbucks drinks, VegNews' readers couldn’t get enough of veganism—all facets of it—in 2016. In honor of the vegan lifestyle becoming more popular than ever this year, we’ve compiled a list of the 15 most-read features on VegNews.com so that we can look back at all that’s been accomplished—and look forward to even more to come in 2017.
1. Vegan Baking Substitution Guide
VegNews readers had their ovens in overdrive in 2016, as our ultimate how-to guide on cruelty-free swaps topped the list this year.
2. 10 (Mouthwatering) Vegan Frappuccinos at Starbucks
2016 was the hottest year on record and vegans wanted to cool down just like everyone else. Our vegan Frappuccino hacks were just the way to do it.
3. 11 Stellar Vegan Jackfruit Recipes
From mu shu lettuce wraps to mint smoothies, there wasn't anything we wouldn't add this Southeast Asian fruit to this year.
4. 10 Surprising Animal Ingredients Lurking on Store Shelves
Confectioner’s glaze, L-cysteine, and lactic acid—VegNews readers found out exactly why they should double-check for these innocuous-sounding ingredients in their cupboards.
5. 12 Best Towns for Vegan Living
Forget Portland, Austin, and Los Angeles—the real vegan gems are in Maine, Kansas, and North Carolina.
6. The Three-Day Detox Plan Anyone Can Do
Looking to jumpstart your 2017? This plant-based plan got plenty of folks off the the right start this year.
7. 12 Surprising Vegan Meals at Fast-Food Restaurants
Did you know that with a little ingenuity and menu know-how, you could score solid vegan meals at Dunkin’ Donuts, Domino’s, and—yes—even McDonald’s?
8. 25 Best Vegan Food Finds at Target
There are vegan treasures to be found all throughout the red-and-white superstore, and VegNews readers knew exactly where to find them thanks to our handy guide.
9. 5 Must-Have Vegan Starbucks Snacks (+Drink Pairings)
Our resident Vegan Barista cracks the top 15 again with this guide to all things snacks at the world’s largest coffee chain.
10. The VegNews Guide to Vegan Halloween Candy
Peanut butter cups, fruity chews, caramels and more—if it’s vegan we told you about it in our annual guide to Halloween candy.
11. 5 Ways Being Vegan Saves the Planet
We always knew vegans were superheroes, but the number 11 story of 2016 confirms why!
12. 6 Tips for Losing Weight on a Vegan Diet
Aside from keeping our consciences clean, a whole-foods, plant-based diet can also help keep us trim. Win-win!
13. 10 Totally Veganized Holiday Starbucks Drinks
With hacks to drinks such as Vegan Caramel Brulée Lattes, Peppermint Hot Chocolates, and Holiday Spice Flat Whites, is it any wonder VegNews readers flocked to this list?
14. The VegNews Guide to Vegan Chocolate
No surprises here—who doesn’t love chocolate? (Especially when it’s creamy, dreamy, and dairy-free!)
15. 7 Vegan Starbucks Drinks Just in Time for Fall
Noticing a trend here?
7 Instagram Accounts by Vegan POC You Should Be Following
Diversifying your IG account is a fun and educational way to learn about veganism and intersectionality.
Read More »
7 Ways School Garden Projects Can Save the World
School garden projects are educating youth about nutrition, compassion, and hard work to incite a generation of plant-powered changemakers.
Read More »
7 Vegan Things My Cats Should Buy Me for National Pet Parents Day
A massage, a new couch, and a new copy of My Aim is True sure would be nice.
Read More »
5 Reasons to Vote Me as PETAs Sexiest Vegan Next Door
Im funny, Im vegan, and I sure could use a vacation.
Read More »
Brooklyn Chef Veganizes Popular Momofuku Milk Bar
The popular dessert-based cookbook is getting a plant-based makeover.
Read More »
- 7 Vegan Ways to Spend Your Tax Refund
- How to Become an Ageless Boomer
- Mistress Gingers 4 Ways to Be a Sneaky Vegan
- 5 Ways Going Vegan Helped Me Become a Minimalist
- 5 Stories by Vegan Doctors to Celebrate National Doctors' Day
- 5 Ideas for a Great Vegan Spring Wedding
- 5 Hot Vegan Shoes for Spring
- 3 Reasons to Eat Your Fruit and Vegetables
- My Sneaky Plan to Convince a 17-Year-Old to Go Vegan
- 7 Vegan Songs to Add to Your Playlist
- How a Plant-based Diet Saved This Doctors Career
- 6 Places to Meet a Vegan to Love
- How (and Why) You Should Become a Vegan Regular
- 7 Books to Share with Your Veg-Curious Love Interest
- 10 Products I Cant Wait to Try at Expo West
- 7 Vegan-Friendly Childrens Books to Share with Your Kids
- 7 Vegan & Cruelty-free Beauty YouTubers
- 6 Libido-Enhancing Vegan Foods
- 5 Things You Learn After Veg Speed Dating
- How to Combat the USDA's Animal Welfare Blackout