The Top 15 Vegan Stories of 2016
Want to know the hottest vegan lifestyle stories of 2016? Here are your top 15 favorite reads of the year.
Whether it was the best cities across the US or hacks to dairy-free Starbucks drinks, VegNews' readers couldn’t get enough of veganism—all facets of it—in 2016. In honor of the vegan lifestyle becoming more popular than ever this year, we’ve compiled a list of the 15 most-read features on VegNews.com so that we can look back at all that’s been accomplished—and look forward to even more to come in 2017.
1. Vegan Baking Substitution Guide
VegNews readers had their ovens in overdrive in 2016, as our ultimate how-to guide on cruelty-free swaps topped the list this year.
2. 10 (Mouthwatering) Vegan Frappuccinos at Starbucks
2016 was the hottest year on record and vegans wanted to cool down just like everyone else. Our vegan Frappuccino hacks were just the way to do it.
3. 11 Stellar Vegan Jackfruit Recipes
From mu shu lettuce wraps to mint smoothies, there wasn't anything we wouldn't add this Southeast Asian fruit to this year.
4. 10 Surprising Animal Ingredients Lurking on Store Shelves
Confectioner’s glaze, L-cysteine, and lactic acid—VegNews readers found out exactly why they should double-check for these innocuous-sounding ingredients in their cupboards.
5. 12 Best Towns for Vegan Living
Forget Portland, Austin, and Los Angeles—the real vegan gems are in Maine, Kansas, and North Carolina.
6. The Three-Day Detox Plan Anyone Can Do
Looking to jumpstart your 2017? This plant-based plan got plenty of folks off the the right start this year.
7. 12 Surprising Vegan Meals at Fast-Food Restaurants
Did you know that with a little ingenuity and menu know-how, you could score solid vegan meals at Dunkin’ Donuts, Domino’s, and—yes—even McDonald’s?
8. 25 Best Vegan Food Finds at Target
There are vegan treasures to be found all throughout the red-and-white superstore, and VegNews readers knew exactly where to find them thanks to our handy guide.
9. 5 Must-Have Vegan Starbucks Snacks (+Drink Pairings)
Our resident Vegan Barista cracks the top 15 again with this guide to all things snacks at the world’s largest coffee chain.
10. The VegNews Guide to Vegan Halloween Candy
Peanut butter cups, fruity chews, caramels and more—if it’s vegan we told you about it in our annual guide to Halloween candy.
11. 5 Ways Being Vegan Saves the Planet
We always knew vegans were superheroes, but the number 11 story of 2016 confirms why!
12. 6 Tips for Losing Weight on a Vegan Diet
Aside from keeping our consciences clean, a whole-foods, plant-based diet can also help keep us trim. Win-win!
13. 10 Totally Veganized Holiday Starbucks Drinks
With hacks to drinks such as Vegan Caramel Brulée Lattes, Peppermint Hot Chocolates, and Holiday Spice Flat Whites, is it any wonder VegNews readers flocked to this list?
14. The VegNews Guide to Vegan Chocolate
No surprises here—who doesn’t love chocolate? (Especially when it’s creamy, dreamy, and dairy-free!)
15. 7 Vegan Starbucks Drinks Just in Time for Fall
Noticing a trend here?
How a Vegan YouTube Megastar Finds Success By Catering to Meat-Eaters
Cookbook author Candice Hutchings wants to eat vegan butter chicken every day—and, now, so do we.
Read More »
A VegNews Exclusive with the Face of Vegan Russia
Elena Shifrina began BioFoodLab after realizing there wasnt a healthy vegan snack bar in her country. Today, shes leading a plant-based movement that has everyone screaming nostrovia.
Read More »
6 Reasons Why Organic Isn't the Answer
Diseases decrease, methane gas is lowered, and communities flourish when farmers switch to veganic methods.
Read More »
Vegan Street Art is Taking Over Los Angeles
We sat down with the creative mind behind some of Los Angeles most recognizable vegan street art.
Read More »
Getting to Know Vegan Ballerina Agnes Muljadi
When it comes to sustainable fashion and fitness, this vegan dancer is en pointe!
Read More »
- 5 Ways Vegan Boyfriends are Awesome
- 10 Vegan Beauty Finds That'll Make You Feel Like a Kid Again
- 4 Ways to Win a Vegan Chili Cook-Off (If Im the Judge)
- Why Action Star Maggie Q is a Real-Life Vegan Heroine
- A Vegan Guide to the Hamptons
- The Tropical Vegan Inn You Must Visit Now
- 5 Vegan Reasons to Get Excited for Fall
- 5 Reasons Hindu Vegetarians Should Go Vegan
- How a Book Blogger Became a Vegan Social Media Influencer
- A Vegan Guide to Ann Arbor
- 15 Vegan Things at Costco You Need to Try Now
- 5 Things I Learned Working with Pigs This Summer
- 10 Secrets You Never Knew About Hampton Creek
- 4 Questions with the Owners of Galaxy Hut
- 7 Tips for Talking to (a lot) of Vegans
- The Ultimate Vegan Road Trip PART TWO
- Highlights from LAs Hottest Vegan Summer Party
- The Ultimate Vegan Road Trip PART ONE
- 5 Areas Where Activism Can Impact Change
- 9 Vegan Foods to Eat While Watching Game of Thrones