EXCLUSIVE: A Statement from Chef Chloe Coscarelli
Famed chef and restaurateur speaks out for the first time after being ousted from her own restaurant.
Thank you to everyone who has reached out regarding the recent news, which revealed that I have been pushed out of by CHLOE—the restaurant I founded in 2015. I imagine this news has come as a surprise to many of you, especially to the thousands of loyal customers who have helped make by CHLOE a success. Honestly, it’s quite surreal for me too.
As a young, female entrepreneur I have learned—often the hard way—the challenges that come with launching a new venture.
I developed every single recipe for the restaurant over the course of several years in my tiny apartment kitchen. I slept on a couch in the living room with no bedroom of my own so that I could be close to my work in the kitchen and develop recipes 24/7, sleeping only 3 or 4 hours most nights, for years. I set my alarm to wake me up every half hour through the night to measure the progression of ice crystals in my ice cream recipes. I made 30 variations of beet ketchup and lined them up on my window sill to compare the difference in pink pigmentation. I turned my home into a vegan test kitchen and worked with my amazing vegan team from Natural Gourmet Institute to perfect every last detail. We tested every recipe literally hundreds of times. But it was a labor of love. It was my dream.
From the day I began this journey, my goal was to create a fun, friendly restaurant that showcased how delicious vegan food can make a powerful and positive impact in the world—a belief that has never for a moment wavered. To me, veganism is so much more than a vehicle for business; it’s a vote for kindness, a dedication to sustainability, and a commitment to compassion. It’s a lifestyle I adopted more than a decade ago, and will forever be proud of, champion, and defend.
This year has been extremely painful—one that has challenged me to the core. But I will not let anyone deter my goals. I am committed to being strong and positive, and will continue to champion vegan cuisine and what it stands for. To budding entrepreneurs, I hope my journey inspires you to stand up for what’s right, even if it feels scary, and hope you never lose sight of your core mission. I haven’t. I won’t. I have some exciting new projects in the works and can’t wait to fill you in soon. Until then, I want to thank each and every one of you for your love and support. Community is everything, and I am eternally grateful to be a part of yours. Onward and upward!
~Chef Chloe Coscarelli
Chloe Coscarelli Fired for Defending Veganism
New Development: by CHLOE to Stay Vegan Sans Chloe
Chloe Coscarelli Defends Vegan Empire from Meat
by CHLOE Now Open in Brooklyn
New by CHLOE comes to Rhode Island
New by CHLOE Locations Coming to Boston
Second by CHLOE Opens in Los Angeles
Snack Brand Debuts Vegan Space Ice Cream
Seva Foods' freeze-dried Space Ice Kream is an indulgence for astronauts and land-dwellers alike.
Read More »
NYC All-You-Can-Eat Ice Cream Fest Offers Vegan Scoops
Three-day festival Scooper Bowl in Bryant Park will treat guests to ice cream of every variety, including dairy-free scoops from Van Leeuwen, Ben & Jerry's, and Häagen-Dazs.
Read More »
Animal Ag Companies Fined $29M for Destroying Amazon
The government of Brazil slapped a hefty fine on feed suppliers to meat and dairy companies that sell to McDonald's, Burger King, and Walmart for destroying the country's biodiverse Cerrado region for profit.
Read More »
Moby Retires from Touring to Focus on Activism
…and to make vegan smoothies every morning after waking up in his own bed.
Read More »
UK Version of Beyond Burger Expands Across London
British vegan brand Moving Mountains expands its B12 burger to five locations of meat-centric chain Dirty Bones—where it will be served topped with vegan mac and cheese.
Read More »
- Legendary Canadian Rugby Player Starts Vegan Cheese Brand
- World's Top Chocolate Supplier Shifts Focus to Dairy-Free
- Mena Suvari Has Vegan Epiphany at Moby's Restaurant
- Pittsburgh Gets Its First Vegan Ice Cream Shop
- Meat Company Finds Americans Are Afraid of Hot Dogs
- Kat Von D Debuts 10th Anniversary Vegan Beauty Line
- Missouri Passes Bill Limiting Meat Labels to Dead Animals
- Pizza Chain Becomes First in Asia to Offer Vegan Cheese
- IKEA to Debut Vegan Hot Dog at Boston Music Festival
- Paul McCartney: "Meat-Free Is the New Rock and Roll"
- Impossible Burger is Now Certified Kosher
- Residents to Sue Iowa Over Hog Factory Farm Emissions
- Oat-Based Milk Brand Launches Vegan Ice Cream Line
- Vegan-Friendly Pizza Slice Shop to Open in NYC
- Beyond Meat to Debut Beyond Breakfast Sausages
- World's First Vegan Chicken Shop Opens Convenience Store
- Vegan Coffee Shop Thrives in "Steak Country"
- Vegan French Macaron Shop Opens in New Orleans
- Kroger Launches Vegan Recipe Contest
- Vegan Shoe Brand MINK Sells 10,000 Pairs in 2018