EXCLUSIVE: A Statement from Chef Chloe Coscarelli
Famed chef and restaurateur speaks out for the first time after being ousted from her own restaurant.
Thank you to everyone who has reached out regarding the recent news, which revealed that I have been pushed out of by CHLOE—the restaurant I founded in 2015. I imagine this news has come as a surprise to many of you, especially to the thousands of loyal customers who have helped make by CHLOE a success. Honestly, it’s quite surreal for me too.
As a young, female entrepreneur I have learned—often the hard way—the challenges that come with launching a new venture.
I developed every single recipe for the restaurant over the course of several years in my tiny apartment kitchen. I slept on a couch in the living room with no bedroom of my own so that I could be close to my work in the kitchen and develop recipes 24/7, sleeping only 3 or 4 hours most nights, for years. I set my alarm to wake me up every half hour through the night to measure the progression of ice crystals in my ice cream recipes. I made 30 variations of beet ketchup and lined them up on my window sill to compare the difference in pink pigmentation. I turned my home into a vegan test kitchen and worked with my amazing vegan team from Natural Gourmet Institute to perfect every last detail. We tested every recipe literally hundreds of times. But it was a labor of love. It was my dream.
From the day I began this journey, my goal was to create a fun, friendly restaurant that showcased how delicious vegan food can make a powerful and positive impact in the world—a belief that has never for a moment wavered. To me, veganism is so much more than a vehicle for business; it’s a vote for kindness, a dedication to sustainability, and a commitment to compassion. It’s a lifestyle I adopted more than a decade ago, and will forever be proud of, champion, and defend.
This year has been extremely painful—one that has challenged me to the core. But I will not let anyone deter my goals. I am committed to being strong and positive, and will continue to champion vegan cuisine and what it stands for. To budding entrepreneurs, I hope my journey inspires you to stand up for what’s right, even if it feels scary, and hope you never lose sight of your core mission. I haven’t. I won’t. I have some exciting new projects in the works and can’t wait to fill you in soon. Until then, I want to thank each and every one of you for your love and support. Community is everything, and I am eternally grateful to be a part of yours. Onward and upward!
~Chef Chloe Coscarelli
Chloe Coscarelli Fired for Defending Veganism
New Development: by CHLOE to Stay Vegan Sans Chloe
Chloe Coscarelli Defends Vegan Empire from Meat
by CHLOE Now Open in Brooklyn
New by CHLOE comes to Rhode Island
New by CHLOE Locations Coming to Boston
Second by CHLOE Opens in Los Angeles
Investors Condemn Whole Foods for Ignoring Vegan Shift
A coalition of 57 investors who manage $2.4 trillion in assets continues to push food companies to abandon the risky practice of raising animals for food.
Read More »
Vegan Pay-What-You-Can Eatery Opens in Charleston
New vegan restaurant Dell'z on the Macon offers bowls, pizzas, and salads on a sliding pay scale policy.
Read More »
Veganism is Stunting Growth of Camel-Milk Industry
Consumers increasingly choosing plant-based milk alternatives is limiting the growth of the camel-milk industry.
Read More »
New Vegan Eatery Shares Profits with Employees
The Red Lunchbox in Halifax, Nova Scotia is good for the animals and fair to its workers.
Read More »
Real Housewives Star Throws Vegan Dinner Party
Porsha Williams' plant-based feast, complete with copious amounts of alcohol, was lit AF.
Read More »
- Vegan Wins Wildlife Photographer of the Year
- Meatless Product-Launches Increase by 451 Percent
- New Vegan Yogurt Line Launches in United States
- Singing Sensation LP Demands Vegan Food at Starbucks
- Ranchers Petition USDA to Define Beef
- First All-Vegan Wine Club Launches in United States
- Social Justice Summer Camp for Adults Launches
- Vegan Figure Skater Earns Olympic Gold Medal
- Just Mayo Maker to Open First Production Plant in Asia
- Australia's First Vegan Cruise Sets Sail This Fall
- Veganism is Hindering Growth of Veal Industry
- Senate Issues Failing Dairy Industry $1 Billion Handout
- Ralph Lauren's Daughter Debuts Vegan Candy Line
- A Vegan Starbucks? Not Quite, But Close ...
- 2,100 Dairy Farmers Defraud Dutch Government
- 150,000 McVegans Sold at McDonald's During First Month
- Hospital Debuts Vegan Menu to Speed Patient Recovery
- Spicy Vegan Steak Sandwich Debuts at Subway
- London Hotel Launches UK's First Vegan Room Service
- Meal-Delivery Service Launches Vegan Shrimp Jambalaya