All of Brooklyn to Go Vegan
In a historic move, the New York City Council mandates that Brooklyn businesses ditch all animal products.
Following the success of Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams curing his type 2 diabetes after adopting a vegan diet, the New York City Council has unanimously passed a bill that will result in the entire borough eschewing all animal products by the end of 2017. “What this means,” Adams tells VegNews, “is that all restaurants will quickly transition to carry only plant-based meats, cheeses, and milks, and you can expect all leather retailers to start carrying only cork or pineapple ‘leather.’” Famed restaurateur Ravi DeRossi—who recently veganized a handful of his high-end Brooklyn and Manhattan eateries—will be spearheading a task force for all restaurant owners to easily make the switch (including offering free weekly screenings of the documentaries Vegucated and Forks Over Knives to be held at Brooklyn Academy of Music). The borough’s meat-centric restaurants not willing to provide proof of their veganization plan before World Vegan Day (November 1) will be forced to relocate to Staten Island beginning in early 2018. Brooklyn has increasingly been known as a vegan mecca, attracting ethical businesses such as men’s fashion brand Brave GentleMan, run by adjunct professor of fashion at Parsons The New School—and longtime hipster—Joshua Katcher. “I’m not surprised that the best borough is at the forefront of this movement,” Katcher tells VegNews, “but this is just the beginning.” Katcher adds that he hopes the trend toward cruelty-free entrepreneurship and dietary choices will expand to the greater New York City area. “I’m proud to announce that I’m starting a change.org petition,” Katcher says, “asking for nearby Manhattan’s ‘Meatpacking’ district to officially change its name to the ‘Meat-lacking’ District.” Bushwick-based vegan doughnut eatery Dunwell Doughnuts didn’t waste any time in promoting the new legislation, announcing the addition of its “Celebration Doughnut,” made with slavery-free aquafaba, fair-trade cocoa nibs, cooked avocado, and the contentious (but purportedly delicious) new-to-the-market rock milk. Brooklyn is home to 2.5 million residents.
Editor's Note: #AprilFools! With plant-based eating on the rise, more and more business are realizing that vegan is the way to go. Soon, entire cities will be vegan, and we can't wait!
Starbucks to Release Plant-Based Food Line this Year
Heeding the demands of animal-rights group Compassion Over Killing (and at least 30,000 people ), the international coffee chain announced it would launch a plant-based food line during its shareholder meeting.
Read More »
World's Last Male Northern White Rhino Dies
Horn poaching has led to the decimation of the rare subspecies of African rhino, with only two females left on Earth.
Read More »
Virgin Trains Debut Their First Vegan Cooked Breakfast
Commuters in the United Kingdom can now enjoy a hot pot of vegan hash browns, beans, mushrooms, and spinach aboard west coast Virgin Trains.
Read More »
50 Percent of Meals at One CA School District are Vegan
Children in Santa Barbara school cafeterias are raving about vegan brand Hungry Planet's soyrizo quesadillas, crispy chicken burgers, spaghetti and meatballs, beef nachos, and chicken alfredo.
Read More »
YouTube Stars Rhett and Link Veganize Arby's
The comedy duo's wildly popular Good Mythical Morning YouTube series heads to Arby's, Wendy's, and McDonald's for the vegan edition of their segment Fast Food Secret Menu Hacks.
Read More »
- San Francisco Bans Fur Sales
- Drake Ditches Meat
- Acclaimed Chef to Open Vegan Convenience Store
- Vegan Food Truck to Sell Chicken Nuggets in Boston
- Nearly Half of Meat-Free Canadians are Millennials
- QDOBA Now Offers Price Cut for Vegans
- Biotech Startup Develops Fungus-Based Clean Pet Food
- Portland Pub Replaces Beef and Lamb with Vegan Burger
- W London Hotel to Offer Vegan Menu
- Saudis Go Vegan to Curb Obesity Epidemic
- Vegan Wine and Cheese Delivery Debuts
- Kraft Heinz Looks to Invest in Plant-Based Startups
- Toronto's Vegan Bake-Off Crowns Best Plant-Based Bakers
- MLB Ballparks Nationwide Debut New Vegan Options
- Daiya Debuts Line of Vegan Ice Cream Bars
- Cory Booker Dishes on Whole Food Plant-Based Journey
- World's Best Restaurant NOMA to Serve Vegan Menu
- Germany's First Vegan Kindergarten to Open in Fall
- Athletes Unite to Fight High-Speed Pig Slaughter Bill
- New Voodoo Doughnut to Sell 13 Vegan Options