What you need:
- 1-1/2 cups filtered water
- 1/3 cup each millet and quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon each dried basil, oregano and thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2/3 cup red onion, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus additional for oiling cookie sheet
- 1/3 cup each carrot, celery and red pepper, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 cup spinach, triple washed, patted dry, and roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup each raw almonds, pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds, roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons quinoa flour or brown rice flour
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Cornmeal, for dusting
What you do:
- Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add the millet, quinoa and seasonings, cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until all of the water has been absorbed. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- In a large skillet, sauté the onion in olive oil for 2 minutes. Add the carrot, celery and red pepper, and sauté an additional 5 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté an additional 1 minute. Remove the skillet from heat.
- Place the grains in a medium bowl. Add the sauté ed vegetable mixture and all of the remaining ingredients (except the cornmeal), and stir well to combine.
- Place some cornmeal on a small plate. Portion mixture into patties and dust all sides with cornmeal. Using the reserved olive oil, lightly oil a cookie sheet and add patties. Bake at 375 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes or until lightly browned.