What you need:
- 2 cups filtered water
- 1-2 cups lentils, sorted and rinsed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon each dried basil, oregano and thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon each garlic powder and chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon each sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomato halves, snipped into small pieces with scissors
- 1-1/4 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup spinach, triple washed, patted dry and roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup each carrot and red onion, finely diced
- Olive oil, for cooking
What you do:
- In a small saucepan, combine water, lentils and seasonings and cook over medium-high heat for 25 minutes. Add sun-dried tomatoes and continue to cook until lentils are tender and all of the liquid is absorbed. Remove saucepan from heat, then remove bay leaf and discard.
- Mash lentils with a potato masher. Add remaining ingredients and stir well to combine. Allow mixture to cool for 5 minutes. Portion mixture into burgers.
- Lightly oil a large skillet with a little olive oil. Cook the burgers over medium heat until well browned, about 5 to 7 minutes per side, adding additional oil, if needed, to prevent sticking.