Makes 8 large or 16 small
What you need:
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup unbleached sugar
- 2/3 cup non-hydrogenated shortening
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon flax meal + 3 tablespoons water mixed together
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2/3 cup dried cranberries
- 2/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
What you do:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a thin layer of oil.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. In a separate bowl, cream together sugar and shortening. Add molasses, vanilla, and flax mixture to creamed shortening and mix well. Combine the dry ingredients with the wet and mix together.
- Fold in oats, fruit, nuts, chocolate chips, and coconut. If dough is too stiff to stir, add as much as 1 tablespoon of water.
- Measure cookies out with a heaping tablespoon and flatten slightly. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until lightly brown at edges. Store in a covered container to keep chewy.
Want more of today’s best plant-based news, recipes, and lifestyle?
Get our award-winning magazine!