What you need:
- 1 8-ounce package multigrain tempeh, cut into cubes
- 3/4 cup onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided, plus additional for cooking
- 1/2 cup crimini mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon each dried basil, thyme and rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon each garlic and onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup whole-wheat flour or spelt flour
- 2 tablespoons tamari
What you do:
- Place tempeh in a steamer basket and cook for 15 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- In a skillet, sauté the onion in 1tablespoon olive oil for 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms and sauté an additional 3 minutes. Add the balsamic vinegar and seasonings, and sauté an additional 2 minutes. Remove the skillet from heat and set aside.
- Using your fingers, crumble the steamed tempeh into a bowl. Add the sautéed mixture, flour, tamari, and remaining olive oil, and stir well to combine. Portion mixture into burgers.
- Lightly oil a large skillet with a little olive oil. Cook the burgers over medium heat until well browned, about 5 to 7 minutes per side, adding additional oil, if needed, to prevent sticking.