Serves 6 to 8
What you need:
- 1 eggplant, halved lengthwise
- 3 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 1 (15-ounce) can black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons minced onion
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon oregano
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
What you do:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place the eggplant in a lightly oiled shallow baking dish, cut side down. Add the garlic cloves and bake until tender, about 30 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Peel the eggplant, squeeze out any liquid and transfer the pulp to a food processor. Peel the garlic and add the pulp to the processor along with the remaining ingredients. Pulse until just mixed, retaining a coarse texture.
- Scrape the mixture into a bowl, and taste to adjust seasoning. Cover and refrigerate for an hour or longer to allow the flavors to mingle.