What you need:
- 2 to 2-1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups fresh Roma tomatoes (roughly 1-1/2 pounds), cut into thick slices
- 1 large bulb fennel, stalks and core removed, quartered and thinly sliced
- 4 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1-1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3/4 to 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 to 3/4 pound dried pasta of choice
- 2 to 3 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- 2 tablespoons caper
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup fresh basil, torn or sliced into thin shreds
- 1 to 3 tablespoons olive oi
What you do:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, toss together the olive oil, tomatoes, fennel, garlic, balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper, and oregano. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, tossing once or twice during cooking, until the tomatoes are soft and the fennel has slightly caramelized. Remove from oven.
- While the tomatoes are roasting, prepare the pasta according to package directions. When pasta is almost done, remove 1/2 cup of the pasta water and reserve. Drain cooked pasta.
- Toss pasta with the roasted vegetables, adding a few tablespoons of the reserved cooking water if necessary. Add the pine nuts, capers, fresh basil, and the extra olive oil. Taste for seasoning, adding the extra sea salt and pepper if desired. Serve immediately.