What you need:
- 4 sun-dried tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons hot water
- 2/3 cup freshly chopped basil, divided
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced and divided
- 3/4 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons tamari or soy sauce
- 6 portobello mushrooms, destemmed
- 6 hamburger buns or focaccia rolls
- Choice of toppings, such as lettuce, tomatoes, onions, avocado, or vegan cheese
What you do:
- Preheat the grill. Place the sun-dried tomatoes in a small bowl, pour over the hot water, and set aside for 15 minutes to rehydrate.
- In a food processor, place the sun-dried tomato mixture, 1/2 cup chopped basil, 1 tablespoon garlic, and the mayonnaise, and process for 1 minute. Transfer mixture to a small bowl and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the remaining chopped basil and garlic, olive oil, vinegar, and tamari. Dip each of the mushrooms in the marinade and place them on the hot grill, stem-side down. Grill the mushrooms for 5 minutes, carefully flip them over, and grill an additional 4-5 minutes or until tender.
- Slice the rolls and lightly toast on the grill, if desired. Place the grilled mushrooms on rolls with your choice of toppings and a few spoonfuls of the flavored mayonnaise or other condiments of choice.
Want more of today’s best plant-based news, recipes, and lifestyle?
Get our award-winning magazine!