What you need:
- 3-1/2 cups potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup soymilk
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup grated raw potato
- 2/3 cup reserved potato water
- 2/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon EnerG egg replacer
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 3 slices veggie Canadian bacon, cut into strips
- Dusting of paprika
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons whole-wheat flour
- 2 cups vegetarian beef broth, boiling
- 1 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon Bragg Liquid Aminos
What you do:
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray 8- or 9-inch baking pan with olive oil.
- Place cubed potato in a medium saucepan and cover with cold, salted water. Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 20 minutes.
- Drain, reserving cooking liquid. Return potatoes to the pan and mash with a potato masher. Place mashed potatoes in a food processor, add soymilk and olive oil, and pulse to mix. Add grated potato, reserved potato water, flour, baking powder, egg replacer, salt, and pepper. Process to mix.
- Pour into a prepared pan, top with bacon strips, and sprinkle with paprika. Bake 35 minutes, or until puffed and brown.
- Meanwhile, make cream sauce. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, heat oil for 1 minute. Stir in flour and gradually add broth, stirring constantly. When smooth, reduce heat to low and add nutritional yeast, 1/4 cup at a time, stirring after each addition. Add garlic, marjoram, and Bragg Liquid Aminos. Simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, and set aside. Serve with the boxty.
Want more of today’s best plant-based news, recipes, and lifestyle?
Get our award-winning magazine!