What you need:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/2 cups cooked pinto beans or one 15-ounce can, drained and rinsed
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1-1/2 cups prepared tomato salsa
- 4 ounces soft or silken tofu
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 12 6-inch flour tortillas
- 1 cup shredded vegan cheese
What you do:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil a 9x13-inch baking dish. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the oil. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the pinto beans, tomatoes, chili powder, and salt and pepper to taste, and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a food processor or blender, combine the salsa, tofu, lime juice, and 1/2 cup of the bean mixture. Process until well blended. Spread a thin layer of the tofu and salsa mixture over the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Arrange 6 of the tortillas on top, overlapping as necessary. Spread the remaining bean mixture over the tortillas and cover with another layer of tortillas. Top with the remaining tofu-and-salsa mixture and sprinkle with the shredded cheese.
- Bake until hot and bubbly and lightly browned on top, about 30 minutes.
Want more of today’s best plant-based news, recipes, and lifestyle?
Get our award-winning magazine!