What You Need For The Pie Crust:
- 1-1/2 cups unbleached flour
- 1/4 cup Sucanat
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 6 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 to 5 tablespoons soymilk
What You Do For The Pie Crust:
- Sift the flour into a bowl and add the Sucanat and salt. Stir the dry ingredients together. Drizzle the oil into the dry ingredients, covering as much surface area as possible, and mix lightly with a spatula until the flour and oil form dough balls about the size of marbles. Drizzle the soymilk into the bowl. Mix until a ball is formed. Wrap the ball in plastic wrap and knead lightly. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or longer.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Unwrap the dough and place in between 2 sheets of parchment or waxed paper. Roll the dough out to make a circle roughly 12 inches in diameter. Gently remove the top sheet of paper, replace it lightly, flip the dough over, and gently remove the bottom sheet of paper.
- Flip the dough over on top of a pie pan and remove the top sheet of paper once again. Press the dough into a 9-inch pie pan and trim and flute the edges. Pierce the dough with the tines of a fork. Place a sheet of parchment paper over the crust and fill with 1/2 cup dried beans or paper weights. This is called blind baking and will keep the tart shell flat in the pie pan. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove the parchment paper and beans or weight. Bake for 5 to 10 minutes, or until the crust is light golden brown.
What You Need For The Pumpkin Pie Filling:
- 1-1/2 cups pumpkin puree
- 2/3 cup maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 teaspoons arrowroot
- 1/2 cup soymilk
- Prebaked Pie Crust
- Vanilla Frozen non-dairy ice cream (optional)
What You Do For The Pumpkin Pie Filling:
- In a food processor, combine the pumpkin puree, maple syrup, molasses, vanilla, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice, arrowroot, and soymilk, in batches if necessary. Process until the mixture is well combined and smooth.
- Pour into the prebaked pie crust and bake for 30 minutes, or until the filling has firmed up. Let cool. Serve with non-dairy ice cream.
Love vegan food and cooking as much as we do?
Get the BEST, editor-tested recipes inside every issue of VegNews Magazine. Find out why VegNews is the world’s #1 plant-based magazine by subscribing today!