The holidays officially kick off this week, and we’re pretty sure the only thing consistent across all reasons to celebrate—faith, tradition, amazing veg food—is cookies. Everyone loves cookies. As you might already be aware, VegNews just released our first-ever cookbook, the Holiday Cookie Collection. We are pretty danged thrilled with it, not to mention sure that you’ll make the recipes in there every year from here on out. All the cookies in the collection come from top-notch vegan bakers, and we had ourselves a time trying all of them out. While all the recipes are fantastic, there’s only one that you can make into a house. Yes, the perfect recipe for vegan gingerbread has finally been nailed, thanks to our man Ben Adams and the team over at Sticky Fingers Bakery in DC. Whether you roll it out thin and make yourself an edible dream home, or leave your dough a little thicker for soft, chewy gingerbread men, there’s something delicious in store when you make these cookies.
Perfect Gingerbread Cookies
Makes 24 Cookies
What you need:
- 2-3/4 cups pastry flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup non-hydrogenated margarine, softened
- 3/4 cup molasses
- 1-1/2 cups light brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons soymilk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
What you do:
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and grease a cookie sheet.
- In a bowl, combine pastry flour, baking powder, ginger, cloves, cinnamon, and salt. In a large bowl, whisk together margarine, molasses, and brown sugar together until smooth. Add soymilk and vanilla and whisk thoroughly.
- Add dry ingredients to wet and mix with spatula to form a dough. Cover and refrigerate for at least two hours.
- Roll out dough onto a floured board, 1/8- to 1/4-inch thick, depending on desired texture (thinner cookies will be crispier, thicker cookies will be chewier). Cut into shapes with cookie cutters and place on prepared cookie sheet. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, depending on thickness. Go crazy with frosting and decorations!
Love vegan food and cooking as much as we do?
Get the BEST, editor-tested recipes inside every issue of VegNews Magazine. Find out why VegNews is the world’s #1 plant-based magazine by subscribing today!