Makes 16 biscuits
What you need:
- 1 cup unbleached white flour
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 cup non-hydrogenated margarine
- 2/3 cup unsweetened soymilk
- 2 teaspoons fresh chives, chopped
What you do:
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. In a large bowl, sift together white flour, whole-wheat flour, baking powder, sea salt, cream of tartar, and sugar.
- Cut in the margarine until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add soymilk all at once, and stir quickly with fork until just mixed.
- Turn onto lightly floured surface and sprinkle with chives. Knead gently for 8 to 10 strokes, then roll or pat dough until it is 1/2-inch thick. Dip biscuit cutter in flour and cut dough straight down; do not twist. Bake on ungreased baking sheet for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden.
Want more of today’s best plant-based news, recipes, and lifestyle?
Get our award-winning magazine!