Makes one cake or 8 cupcakes
What You Need For The Cake:
- 1-1/2 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 cup cold water
What You Do For The Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil a 9-inch springform pan or cupcake tins.
- Combine the flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, and cocoa powder in a bowl until thoroughly combined. Create a well in the center of the dry ingredients, and add the vanilla, oil, vinegar, and water. Mix until just combined.
- Pour into prepared pan, and bake for 30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. If making cupcakes, check for doneness after 15 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack. To remove the cake from the pan, run a sharp knife around the inside of the pan to loosen the cake. Cool completely before frosting with Cocoa Frosting. You may also dust with sifted confectioner’s sugar and top with fresh raspberries.
What You Need For The Frosting:
- 1/2 cup non-hydrogenated margarine, softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 3 to 4 tablespoons water or non-dairy milk
What You Do For The Frosting:
- With an electric hand mixer, cream the margarine until smooth. With the mixer on low speed, add the sugar, and mix for about 2 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, and beat on high speed until frosting is light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add 1 or 2 tablespoons more non-dairy milk if it’s too dry.
- Cover the icing with plastic wrap to prevent drying until ready to use. Store in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks, and re-whip before using.
Love vegan food and cooking as much as we do?
Get the BEST, editor-tested recipes inside every issue of VegNews Magazine. Find out why VegNews is the world’s #1 plant-based magazine by subscribing today!