What you need:
- 2 teaspoons dry yellow chick peas
- 1 teaspoon dry white gram beans (small white beans the size of barley)
- 1 teaspoon dried yellow split peas
- 1/4 teaspoon peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1 tablespoon uncooked long-grain white rice
- 1-inch stick cinnamon, broken
- 20 fresh kari leaves
- 1 or 2 dried red chilies
What you do:
- Preheat a large skillet and add all the ingredients. Toast over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture is aromatic and the rice grains are lightly browned (about six minutes).
- Cool the mixture slightly, then grind it to a fine powder. Store in an airtight glass jar.