The classic strawberry-chocolate flavor profile gets a tasty, gluten-free twist in this addicting dessert. Be sure not to overcook the filling or else it may not firm up when refrigerated; two to three minutes of boiling (or just until thickened) should be enough time.
What you need:
For the crust:
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup superfine brown rice flour, plus more for dusting
1 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup sorghum flour
2 teaspoons xanthan gum
8 tablespoons vegan margarine
1 cup very cold water
For the filling:
4 cups strawberries, sliced, divided
1 cup granulated sugar
4 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 cup water
What you do:
- Preheat oven to 415 degrees. Lightly grease and flour a deep-dish pie pan with brown rice flour.
- In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, brown rice flour, cocoa powder, sorghum flour, and xanthan gum. Using a pastry blender, cut margarine into flour mixture until evenly mixed. Make a well in center of flour mixture and add water, stirring with fork to mix until it forms a soft dough. Knead briefly and wrap dough in waxed paper. Chill until firm.
- Roll out dough in between two pieces of parchment paper until about 1/4-inch thick. Invert onto prepared pie pan, shaping to fit. Using a fork, poke several holes in bottom and along sides of crust. Use pastry beads to weigh pie down, and bake for 17 to 22 minutes, until crust is firm. Remove beads and let cool completely.
- For the filling, mash 1-1/2 cups strawberries. Into small saucepan over medium heat, cook mashed berries and sugar until sugar dissolves.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together cornstarch and water until smooth and add to strawberry mixture. Cook until thickened, stirring constantly. Let boil about 2 minutes and then remove from heat. Pour into prepared pie pan and let chill in fridge until firm, about 12 hours. Top with remaining strawberry slices. Serve cold.
Photo courtesy of Allyson Kramer
Love vegan food and cooking as much as we do?
Get the BEST, editor-tested recipes inside every issue of VegNews Magazine. Find out why VegNews is the world’s #1 plant-based magazine by subscribing today!