Makes one two-layer cake
What you need:
- For the cake:
- 5 cups finely shredded carrots, packed
- 1 cup raw walnuts, finely chopped
- 4 ounces dried pineapple, cut into small tidbits
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup raw almonds, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup currants
- 1/4 cup flax seeds
- 1 cup pitted medjool dates
- 1/3 cup agave nectar
- 1/3 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon vanilla powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- For the frosting:
- 2 cups raw cashews
- 1/2 cup raw almonds
- 1/3 cup agave nectar
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla powder
What you do:
- Line two 8-inch cake pans with plastic wrap, leaving some excess, and set aside. Reserve 2 tablespoons each of the carrots, walnuts, dried pineapple, and coconut for garnishing. Into a large container or bowl, place remaining carrots, walnuts, pineapple, and coconut plus almonds and currants, toss well to combine, and set aside.
- In food processor, blend flax seeds for 30 seconds. Scrape down sides and process an additional 30 seconds or until reduced to a fine powder. Add remaining ingredients and process for 1-2 minutes to form a smooth purée. Add to carrot mixture, and vigorously knead ingredients together. Divide mixture in half, and then firmly pack into plastic-lined cake pans. Cover pans with plastic wrap and chill for several hours or overnight.
- For the frosting, place cashews and almonds in a small bowl, cover with filtered water, and set aside to soak for one hour or more. Drain water and transfer nuts to a food processor. Add remaining ingredients and process for 2 minutes. Scrape down sides and process an additional 1-2 minutes to form a smooth purée. Transfer frosting to a small container and chill for several hours or overnight.
- To assemble the cake, remove top covering of plastic wrap from the first pan. Place a large plate on top, flip over, and remove plastic lining. Spread a third of the frosting on top of first cake layer. Carefully flip remaining cake layer onto your palm, peel off plastic wrap, and quickly and carefully place on top of first cake layer. Mold layers if they need straightening. Frost sides and top of cake layers, then decorate with reserved carrots, coconut, walnuts and pineapple. Cut into pieces, and serve.
Love vegan food and cooking
Get the BEST, editor-tested recipes inside every issue of