Winter is here, and thanks to this tantalizing soup from Angela Liddon’s newest cookbook Oh She Glows Every Day: Quick and Simply Satisfying Plant-Based Recipes, we’re ready to take it, head-on.
What you need:
For the soup:
1 tablespoon virgin coconut oil
2 cups sweet onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
2 tablespoons red curry paste
4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth, plus more if needed
¼ cup raw almond butter
3 cups peeled and diced carrots
3 cups peeled and diced sweet potatoes
½ teaspoon fine sea salt
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Fresh cilantro, minced, for garnish
Fresh lime juice, for garnish
For the tamari-roasted almonds:
½ cup raw almonds, finely chopped
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon low-sodium tamari or coconut aminos
What you do:
1. For the soup, into a large pot over medium heat, melt coconut oil. Add onion, garlic, and ginger, and sauté for approximately 5 minutes. Stir in curry paste.
2. Into a small bowl, whisk 1 cup broth with almond butter until smooth. Add mixture to pot, and add remaining broth, carrots, sweet potatoes, salt, and cayenne (if desired). Stir until combined.
3. Bring soup to a low boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer for approximately 20 minutes.
4. Transfer soup to blender and process until smooth.
5. Return soup to pot and season with salt and black pepper. Reheat if necessary.
6. For the tamari-roasted almonds, preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Into a medium bowl, toss almonds with tamari until coated, spread onto baking sheet, and roast approximately 12 minutes, or until lightly golden. Let cool.
7. To serve, ladle into a bowl and top with cilantro, lime juice, and tamari-roasted almonds.
Photo courtesy of Oh She Glows
The VegNews Mega Birthday Sale ends July 31 at midnight! Get the BEST vegan recipes, travel, celebrity interviews, product picks, and so much more inside every issue of VegNews Magazine—at a special birthday price. Find out why VegNews is the world’s #1 plant-based magazine by subscribing today!