What you need:
1½ tablespoons coconut oil
¾ cup caster sugar, divided
1 fresh pineapple, cut into rings or pieces
10 green cardamom pods, shelled and seeds removed
1¾ cups self-rising flour
4 ounces vegan butter
⅓ cup vegan milk
2 tablespoons ground flasxeed mixed with 3 tablespoons warm water
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Coconut whipped cream (optional)
What you do:
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line an 8-inch cake pan with parchment paper.
2. Combine softened coconut oil and 1½ tablespoons sugar into it. Rub mixture around bottom and halfway up sides of prepared cake pan. Place pineapple slices across bottom and set aside.
3. Grind cardamom seeds to a powder. Then, into a large mixing bowl, sift ground cardamom with remaining sugar, flour, butter, milk, flaxseed mixture, baking powder, and vanilla, and whisk with an electric hand-held whisk until fully combined and smooth.
4. Into cake pan, pour batter and place into oven for approximately 60 minutes (or until evenly risen and a knife inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean).
5. Allow to cool in the pan for 15 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely. Serve with whipped cream, if using.
Photo courtesy of Clare Winfield