Need to cool down after a hot summer day? This delicious, icy treat is the super-cool, European cousin of the SnoCone. If youre not in the mood for the alcoholic element of the limoncello, simply replace with chilled water.
Serves 6 to 8
What you need:
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1 cup + 3/4 cup cold water, divided
- Zest of 4 organic lemons
- 1-3/4 cups fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons limoncello
What you do:
- In a saucepan, combine sugar and 1 cup water. Simmer over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until the sugar dissolves and the mixture becomes syrupy.
- Remove the pan from the burner and add the lemon zest, juice, and cup water. Mix together, and stir in the limoncello.
- Pour the liquid into a large, shallow baking dish. Place the pan in the freezer for a minimum of 8 hours. For the first 2 hours, remove the pan every 20 to 40 minutes and stir the contents, making sure to scrape down the sides of the dish and incorporate both the iced and still-liquid granita.
- Once the granita is completely frozen, use a large spoon to scrape the top to form a single serving. Place the granita in a cocktail glass or bowl and serve.