5 Decadent and Daring Vegan Chocolates
Appease your adventurous palate with this guide to unconventional chocolate treats.
There was a time when the term “vegan chocolate” conjured up images of chalky carob clusters and bits of raw cacao. No disrespect to these more wholesome chocolaty snacks, but we of the plant-based persuasion now have a whole range of crave-worthy cocoa confections to choose from, many of which are as sinful and sumptuous as their animal product-laden counterparts. This Valentine’s Day, think outside the heart-shaped box by giving your special someone one of these modern chocolate treats that prove there’s nothing dull about being dairy-free.
Black Pearl Exotic Candy Bar by Vosges Haut-Chocolat ($7.50)
Don’t let its smooth, chocolaty exterior deceive you: with a list of ingredients that would be right at home on a sushi menu, the Black Pearl Exotic Candy Bar is as enticing as its name suggests. Ginger, wasabi, and black sesame seeds join forces with dark chocolate for an intriguing treat that will tempt your taste buds and send you out the door on a Japanese takeout run.
PB&J Bar by Tumbador Chocolate ($3.99)
Your favorite childhood bag-lunch staple gets an elevated makeover in a rich chocolate treat made with grown-up ingredients. Tumbador captures the flavors of this nostalgia-inducing classic using peanut praline, crunchy rice crispies, and raspberry pâté. No crust included.
Fakin’ Bacon Bar by Rescue Chocolate ($5.49)
A harmonious marriage of smoky and sweet, the Fakin’ Bacon chocolate bar is Rescue Chocolate’s compassionate response to the omni world’s trendy bacon desserts. The best part about this innovative indulgence? All of the company’s net proceeds go to animal-rescue organizations, so you can munch for a worthy cause.
Gourmellows by Desiderio Chocolates ($6 for three)
These sugary morsels pack a one-two punch of decadence, with a combined filling of fluffy marshmallow and fudge-like truffle. Desiderio’s signature treat is the result of years of tinkering with the perfect vegan marshmallow recipe, a process our collective sweet tooth is sorry to have missed.
Organic Chocolate Covered Vegan Gummi Bears by Chocolate Decadence ($3.25 for 2 oz.)
Chocolate Decadence has gone one step beyond the vegan-gummy standard by dousing its chewy, bite-sized treats in creamy cocoa. Ditch the guilt and grab a second handful, because Chocolate Decadence’s bears are made using natural, organic ingredients. Who says spinach powder and black carrot juice have no place in candy? Certainly not us!
From elegant to eccentric, these vegan treats are sure to captivate the cocoaphile in your life. Perhaps, if you’re lucky, they’ll be impressed enough to reward you with a chocolaty nibble—if there’s any left!
The #1 Way to Make Sure You Eat Your Greens First
Find yourself in need of some healthy habits? Its a lot easier to train your brain than you might think!
Read More »
Surprising Vegan Finds at Mainstream Grocery Stores with The Laziest Vegans
No Whole Foods? No Trader Joes? No problem! Thanks to The Laziest Vegans, finding vegan eats at your typical American supermarket is easier than you think.
Read More »
5 Tips for Choosing the Right Acupuncturist
Dont let needles or the no know-hows scare you; weve got the information you need to pick the perfect acupuncturist.
Read More »
The 5 Best Moms of All Time
This Mothers Day, we wanted to give a shout out to some of the worlds best moms and the amazing things they do.
Read More »
50 Years Young: The Enduring Vitality of Vegans
For many vegans, age does not mean illness, but an opportunity to run more marathons, write books, and live a richer life.
Read More »
- Sarno Brothers Secret to Getting Wicked Healthy
- 5 Reasons Im Glad to Be Vegan
- Earth Day Interview with NASCARs Vegan Leilani Münter
- 72 Hours With The Big Bang Theorys Mayim Bialik
- Exclusive Interview: Kim & Kanye Go Vegan for Baby
- Exclusive VegNews Issue Preview
- 13 Adoptable Pups for National Puppy Day
- 5 Tips for Making Your Career Dreams Come True
- Colleen Hollands 15 Most-Anticipated Vegan Cookbooks of 2013
- 72 Hours with the Goo Goo Dolls Mike Malinin
- Chloe's Desserts Sneak Peek: 3 Exclusive Recipes from Chloe Coscarelli's New Cookbook
- Cookbook Sneak Preview: Vegan Tiramisu Pancakes
- Cookbook Sneak Preview: Mojito Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Cookbook Sneak Preview: Hot-Fudge-on-the-Bottom Cake
- Your Valentine on Veganism: An Infographic
- Animals in Love: 5 Species That Commit
- VegNews Dessert Contest with Chloe Coscarelli
- Mardi Gras: A Vegans Survival Guide to New Orleans
- 6 Delicious Ways to Get Vitamin C
- Veganism Saved My Life: Judy Temkin