7 Out of This World Vegan Cheese Dishes
Vegan cheeses time has come, which means its time to indulge in these incredibly cheesy recipes.
The VNHQ has had a single-minded obsession ever since we brainstormed our September+October Cheese Issue. It might not surprise you to learn that the object of our ravenous affection is the delicious, the daring, the delightful vegan cheese. Long gone are the days (those back in the 1900s) of wallowing in a wasteland of waxy slices, sub-par spreads, and concrete-style blocks. Today’s dairy-free fromage is sophisticated, artisan, and downright tasty. Some of them even melt—a feat to which we can personally attest as they’ve melted our hearts. In the great tradition of “two great things that go great together” here are seven recipes from around the web that, not only, include vegan cheese, but also elevate it to atmospheric heights.
1. Mac n’ Cheese in a Bread Bowl. When this carb-on-carb action first went up on our Tumblr, readers rejoiced and, more importantly, reblogged it an impressive 200 plus times. This dish is basically every carbophile’s dream come true, and boasts the added benefit of being slathered in a rich, butternut squash-infused cheese sauce.
2. Goldfish crackers. These treats from childhood have been sorely missed by most vegans—until now. Noted culinary genius Chloe Coscarelli created these cheddar-y little guys that perfectly replicate the original, right down to their little smug smiles!
3. Deep-Fried Vegan Mac and Cheese. Um, yes. Yes, this very much. Here’s the idea: you take one thing that’s already great (that would be vegan mac ‘n’ cheese), and then you deep fry it. Should you eat these every day? Probably not. Will you be happy on any day that you do eat them? Yes.
4. Cheesy Tomato-Stuffed Waffles. If you are the kind of person who enjoys grilled cheese sandwiches (meaning you are the kind of person who has a soul), take it to the next level with these waffles that have cheese and tomato baked right into them! Oh, and they just so happen to be soy- and gluten-free. You know, no big deal.
5. Chili Cheese Fries. Here’s the deal: with this recipe, you provide the chili and fries, and we provide the insane, super-delicious cheese sauce. It’s a blend of ready-made vegan nacho cheese with just the right amount of added spice and flavoring. We won’t tell anyone if you slather it on everything that isn’t nailed down, but might suggest that your cheese-dousing rampage begins with chili fries and a chili dog, topped with more chili fries.
6. Melted Cheese Apple Panini on Raisin Bread. Who says cheese can’t swing sweet? This elegant version of a classic grilled cheese boasts cinnamon raisin bread (always a good idea), pert apple slices, and the tiniest kick of red pepper flakes. Sweet, savory, and spicy flavors all wrapped in gooey melted cheese make for one stellar sandwich.
7. Sausage and Cheese Muffins. These might be the best way to break a fast (even just one that occurs while you slumber) we’ve ever seen. Rich and savory, these decadent muffins would be particularly perfect after a long night out on the town. Or after a relaxing evening at home. Or after lunch.
These seven recipes go above and beyond to make your breakfast, lunch, and dinner the cheesiest they can possibly be. Here’s to cheese, here’s to veganism, and here’s to living in this excellent era.
Oh, and you know, VegNews has a cheesy recipe or two of our own. Don’t miss these in your quest for cheese!
Photo: Hannah Kaminsky
VegNews Exclusive: Top Tips for An All-Star Vegan Brunch
We talked to veganisms top culinary experts for advice on how to enhance your brunch experience.
Read More »
Celebrate Spring with a Vegan Twist
Put a progressive spin on holiday traditions without foregoing the festive feelings of the season.
Read More »
Guide to Vegan Passover Seder
Get down with the Haggadah, gulp Kosher wine, find the afikoman, and enjoy grub from the old country.
Read More »
11 Spicy Vegan Dishes for Hot Sauce Lovers
Turn the heat up—all the way up—with these scrumptiously spicy recipes that are also meat- and dairy-free.
Read More »
Zombie-Free French Toast
The duo behind The Vegan Zombie fame share their go-to recipe for French Toast—zombies not included.
Read More »
- Ellen DeGeneres and Portia de Rossi Adopt Esther the Wonder Pig
- A Day in the Life: Vedge Chef Rich Landau
- 3 Gluten-Free Seasonal Springtime Dishes
- Colleen Holland: My Top 10 Favorite Vegan Beauty Brands
- 13 Stellar Vegan Jackfruit Recipes
- Vegan St. Patricks Day 101
- The Best Vegan Brunch Youll Ever Eat
- Colleen Hollands 15 Most-Anticipated Vegan Cookbooks of 2014
- Everything You Need to Know About Juicing
- It's Never Too Late to Go Vegan
- A Guide to Vegan Sweeteners
- Your Valentine on Veganism: An Infographic
- How to Date a Vegan
- Three-Course Vegan Dinner for Two
- 8 Delicious Vegan Aphrodisiacs
- 4 Mouth-Watering Vegan Super Bowl Recipes
- The VegNews Guide to Vegan Beer
- Girl Scout Cookies Veganized!
- Colleen Holland: My Top 10 Favorite Vegan Foods in 2014
- VegNews Exclusive: Q&A with The Cooking Channels Jason Wrobel