7 Out of This World Vegan Cheese Dishes
Vegan cheeses time has come, which means its time to indulge in these incredibly cheesy recipes.
The VNHQ has had a single-minded obsession ever since we brainstormed our September+October Cheese Issue. It might not surprise you to learn that the object of our ravenous affection is the delicious, the daring, the delightful vegan cheese. Long gone are the days (those back in the 1900s) of wallowing in a wasteland of waxy slices, sub-par spreads, and concrete-style blocks. Today’s dairy-free fromage is sophisticated, artisan, and downright tasty. Some of them even melt—a feat to which we can personally attest as they’ve melted our hearts. In the great tradition of “two great things that go great together” here are seven recipes from around the web that, not only, include vegan cheese, but also elevate it to atmospheric heights.
1. Mac n’ Cheese in a Bread Bowl. When this carb-on-carb action first went up on our Tumblr, readers rejoiced and, more importantly, reblogged it an impressive 200 plus times. This dish is basically every carbophile’s dream come true, and boasts the added benefit of being slathered in a rich, butternut squash-infused cheese sauce.
2. Goldfish crackers. These treats from childhood have been sorely missed by most vegans—until now. Noted culinary genius Chloe Coscarelli created these cheddar-y little guys that perfectly replicate the original, right down to their little smug smiles!
3. Deep-Fried Vegan Mac and Cheese. Um, yes. Yes, this very much. Here’s the idea: you take one thing that’s already great (that would be vegan mac ‘n’ cheese), and then you deep fry it. Should you eat these every day? Probably not. Will you be happy on any day that you do eat them? Yes.
4. Cheesy Tomato-Stuffed Waffles. If you are the kind of person who enjoys grilled cheese sandwiches (meaning you are the kind of person who has a soul), take it to the next level with these waffles that have cheese and tomato baked right into them! Oh, and they just so happen to be soy- and gluten-free. You know, no big deal.
5. Chili Cheese Fries. Here’s the deal: with this recipe, you provide the chili and fries, and we provide the insane, super-delicious cheese sauce. It’s a blend of ready-made vegan nacho cheese with just the right amount of added spice and flavoring. We won’t tell anyone if you slather it on everything that isn’t nailed down, but might suggest that your cheese-dousing rampage begins with chili fries and a chili dog, topped with more chili fries.
6. Melted Cheese Apple Panini on Raisin Bread. Who says cheese can’t swing sweet? This elegant version of a classic grilled cheese boasts cinnamon raisin bread (always a good idea), pert apple slices, and the tiniest kick of red pepper flakes. Sweet, savory, and spicy flavors all wrapped in gooey melted cheese make for one stellar sandwich.
7. Sausage and Cheese Muffins. These might be the best way to break a fast (even just one that occurs while you slumber) we’ve ever seen. Rich and savory, these decadent muffins would be particularly perfect after a long night out on the town. Or after a relaxing evening at home. Or after lunch.
These seven recipes go above and beyond to make your breakfast, lunch, and dinner the cheesiest they can possibly be. Here’s to cheese, here’s to veganism, and here’s to living in this excellent era.
Oh, and you know, VegNews has a cheesy recipe or two of our own. Don’t miss these in your quest for cheese!
Photo: Hannah Kaminsky
6 Reasons You'll Never Need Dairy Again
With so many plant-based alternatives at our fingertips, dumping dairy has never been easier!
Read More »
How to Veganize a Traditional English Breakfast
Follow these four easy steps, and vegan bangers and hash with tofu scramble, tempeh bacon, and beans will be yours.
Read More »
Superfood Pumpkin Caramel Chocolate Tarts
Nothing says winter like pumpkin—especially when its paired with caramel, chocolate, and pecans.
Read More »
7 Vegan Breakfast Desserts for Each Day of the Week
Start your day with a sweet treat that wont wreck your resolutions.
Read More »
13 Easy Weeknight Dinners to Kick Off A Healthy 2017
In the aftermath of the gluttonous holiday season, get your diet back on track with one of these quick and healthy vegan meals.
Read More »
- The Three-Day Detox Plan Anyone Can Do
- 11 Stellar Vegan Jackfruit Recipes
- Must-Know Vegan Nutrition for Winter
- OMG Oreo-Peanut Butter-Fudge Brownies
- Vegan Baking Substitution Guide
- 16 Drinks to Warm Your Winter
- Vegan Gluten-Free Baked Butternut Squash Risotto
- VegNews Guide to the Winter Farmers' Market
- 5 Foods to Keep Your Teeth Healthy this Holiday Season
- Vegan Sweet Potato Latkes
- The Top 15 Vegan Recipes of 2016
- Vegan Mexican Hot Chocolate
- Sweet Potato Pie Tacos
- VegNews Guide to a Vegan Mexican Christmas
- Raw Holiday Pomegranate Salad
- 10 Ways to Veganize Classic Hanukkah Dishes
- 9 Vegan Pie Hacks for 3 Classic Holiday Pies
- How to Make Your Own Veganized Lunchables
- Toasted Marshmallow-Pecan Milkshake
- 5 Pancakes for a Cheerfully Decadent Holiday Season