7 Out of This World Vegan Cheese Dishes
Vegan cheeses time has come, which means its time to indulge in these incredibly cheesy recipes.
The VNHQ has had a single-minded obsession ever since we brainstormed our September+October Cheese Issue. It might not surprise you to learn that the object of our ravenous affection is the delicious, the daring, the delightful vegan cheese. Long gone are the days (those back in the 1900s) of wallowing in a wasteland of waxy slices, sub-par spreads, and concrete-style blocks. Today’s dairy-free fromage is sophisticated, artisan, and downright tasty. Some of them even melt—a feat to which we can personally attest as they’ve melted our hearts. In the great tradition of “two great things that go great together” here are seven recipes from around the web that, not only, include vegan cheese, but also elevate it to atmospheric heights.
1. Mac n’ Cheese in a Bread Bowl. When this carb-on-carb action first went up on our Tumblr, readers rejoiced and, more importantly, reblogged it an impressive 200 plus times. This dish is basically every carbophile’s dream come true, and boasts the added benefit of being slathered in a rich, butternut squash-infused cheese sauce.
2. Goldfish crackers. These treats from childhood have been sorely missed by most vegans—until now. Noted culinary genius Chloe Coscarelli created these cheddar-y little guys that perfectly replicate the original, right down to their little smug smiles!
3. Deep-Fried Vegan Mac and Cheese. Um, yes. Yes, this very much. Here’s the idea: you take one thing that’s already great (that would be vegan mac ‘n’ cheese), and then you deep fry it. Should you eat these every day? Probably not. Will you be happy on any day that you do eat them? Yes.
4. Cheesy Tomato-Stuffed Waffles. If you are the kind of person who enjoys grilled cheese sandwiches (meaning you are the kind of person who has a soul), take it to the next level with these waffles that have cheese and tomato baked right into them! Oh, and they just so happen to be soy- and gluten-free. You know, no big deal.
5. Chili Cheese Fries. Here’s the deal: with this recipe, you provide the chili and fries, and we provide the insane, super-delicious cheese sauce. It’s a blend of ready-made vegan nacho cheese with just the right amount of added spice and flavoring. We won’t tell anyone if you slather it on everything that isn’t nailed down, but might suggest that your cheese-dousing rampage begins with chili fries and a chili dog, topped with more chili fries.
6. Melted Cheese Apple Panini on Raisin Bread. Who says cheese can’t swing sweet? This elegant version of a classic grilled cheese boasts cinnamon raisin bread (always a good idea), pert apple slices, and the tiniest kick of red pepper flakes. Sweet, savory, and spicy flavors all wrapped in gooey melted cheese make for one stellar sandwich.
7. Sausage and Cheese Muffins. These might be the best way to break a fast (even just one that occurs while you slumber) we’ve ever seen. Rich and savory, these decadent muffins would be particularly perfect after a long night out on the town. Or after a relaxing evening at home. Or after lunch.
These seven recipes go above and beyond to make your breakfast, lunch, and dinner the cheesiest they can possibly be. Here’s to cheese, here’s to veganism, and here’s to living in this excellent era.
Oh, and you know, VegNews has a cheesy recipe or two of our own. Don’t miss these in your quest for cheese!
Photo: Hannah Kaminsky
Thanksgiving Salad with Cranberries, Apples, & Caramelized Pecans
This holiday favorite comes complete with sweet, caramelized pecans that are sure to dazzle your guests.
Read More »
Robin Robertson: My Top 10 Vegan Dishes Around the World
With her newest cookbook Vegan Without Borders in stores now, authoress Robin Robertson shares her own favorite global vegan meals.
Read More »
3 Vegan Thanksgiving Sides from the Experts
Three culinary geniuses share scrumptious vegan sides perfect for UnTurkey Day.
Read More »
10 Downright Delicious Dessert Thanksgiving Recipes
Follow up your appetizers and entrées with a sensational, dairy-free dessert menu thats unique and satisfying.
Read More »
3 Simple Timelines for a Stress-Free Vegan Thanksgiving
Your ultimate checklist for getting everything done for UnTurkey Day.
Read More »
- The Ultimate Vegan Halloween Party Tips & Menu
- 5 Mouthwatering Vegan Pumpkin Recipes
- The 2014 VegNews Guide to Vegan Halloween Candy
- How to Make Tofu: A Step-by-Step Photo Guide
- How to Date a Meat-Eater
- Vegan Weddings 2014: Laura Robeson & Danielle Davis
- Vegan Weddings 2014: Alison Longley & Theodore Ross Butler
- Everything You Need to Know About Juicing
- Vegan Weddings 2014: Ashley Moore & Jordan Coates
- Guide to Vegan Baking
- How to Make Great Vegan Mexican Food at Home
- Vegan Weddings 2014: Aliya & Michael Weber
- 10 Creative Ways to Use Nut Butters
- VegNews Exclusive: An Interview with John Joseph
- 10 Foods to Help Get Rid of Stress
- The Sexy Vegans Spicy Korean Burgers
- 10 Reasons to Fall in Love with Santa Barbara
- 3 Cheap Ways to Stock Your Vegan Bar
- How to Eat Vegan on a Budget in London
- 3 Rules for Stellar Homemade Vegan Cheese