Ellen DeGeneres and Portia de Rossi Adopt Esther the Wonder Pig
The Hollywood couple fall in love with famous pig after watching videos on YouTube.
If you haven’t heard of Esther the Wonder Pig, you’ve probably been living on a remote island for the past six months with no connection to the outside world. Esther—born in 2012 on a commercial pig farm and then adopted by a couple in Toronto, Canada—has become an internet sensation with her very own website, Facebook page (120k fans and counting), Twitter following, and YouTube channel. People all over the world have fallen in love with 400-pound Esther after watching her sleep, yawn, take a bath, wrestle with her canine siblings, open doors, eat breakfast, and play tag with the family.
And one of those people happen to be Ellen DeGeneres. In an exclusive interview with VegNews, the talk show host and vegan tells us that it all started one night this past January. “Portia and I were making our favorite tempeh chili for dinner and decided that we wanted a salad to go with it. So I hopped on my iPad to watch the Vegan Zombie video for Creamy Kale Salad, which Portia loves. Well, I kept watching those zombie boys but then somehow ended up on Esther’s YouTube page. That’s when it all began.”
Ellen fell fast and hard for the vegan wonder pig. She admits to staying up all night after that serendipitous kale salad to watch heartwarming videos of Esther eat pie, fluff her bed, watch TV, and flash her signature smile to the camera. In the middle of the night, Portia remembers waking up to find Ellen laughing hysterically in front of the computer. Thinking she was just up late writing jokes for her upcoming Oscar gig, Portia shook her head and went back to sleep.
By the next morning, Ellen had already reached out to Esther’s family in Toronto to arrange a meeting. Esther’s dad, Derek Walter, recalls that unexpected phone call. “Hi, this is Ellen,” Derek remembers the famous comedian saying. She continues, “I can’t stop thinking about Esther, and I have to meet her. We have a private plane waiting out front and can be there in six hours. We’ll bring vegan cookies.” Derek and his partner, Steve Jenkins, agreed to the visit by the celebrity duo. “After all, who wouldn’t, eh?” says Steve. “And no one makes vegan chocolate chip cookies better than they do, plus they make them gluten-free!”
That morning, after watching videos of Esther snuggling up to the family dogs and opening the refrigerator door for a snack, Portia quickly understood Ellen’s desire to meet Esther. “I, too, fell in love with her,” says Portia. “That grin! That swagger! Those eyes! I couldn’t get enough.” So the two set out for Ontario, Canada and spent the entire flight watching every single YouTube video of Esther the Wonder Pig—again and again.
Fast forward three months, Ellen and Portia have visited Esther 11 times and even purchased and renovated a farm on the city outskirts where Esther stays while the couple is in town. Steve tells VegNews that “Esther loves to play tag and tug-of-war, so the 75 acres Ellen and Portia bought come in very handy for outdoor playtime.” But just last week, after it became obvious how much Esther had bonded with her new California companions, her two dads agreed to let Ellen and Portia legally adopt her.
“It will be a good life for Esther, as she’ll thrive in the warm Los Angeles climate,” Derek says. “And since she’s a celebrity herself, she’ll fit right into the Hollywood scene as well as have daily access to her favorite foods—kale salad and green juice. But most importantly, we made it very clear to the girls what Esther needs to maximize her comfort level.”
So just what were those stipulations? According to the adoption contract, Esther must:
- • Have her own bathroom (complete with hot tub, cold plunge, and heated floors)
- • Have a private dressing room outfitted with eco-friendly bedding and fresh flowers on the set of The Ellen DeGeneres Show
- • Receive three deep-tissue massages a week by LA’s top animal masseuse
- • Eat only organic food prepared by a live-in vegan chef
- • Get a minimum of three hours of pool time each day
- • Be honored at a welcome dinner hosted by Jason Bateman at Crossroads Kitchen
- • Attend at least one vegan restaurant opening every week
- • Have regular check-in appointments with Cesar Millan to ensure she is happy, healthy, and fulfilled
Oh, and those selfies Ellen is a big fan of? Make room for Esther.
New Vegan-Friendly Emoji App Launches
Nimoji brings crossed-out milk, eggs, fish, and other illustrated stickers to iPhones.
Read More »
Iconic Vegan NY Eatery to Get Facelift
Blossom on Carmine will reopen as lounge and event space, Urban Vegan Kitchen.
Read More »
Investors Demand Food Giants Address Factory Farming
Kraft, Heinz, Walmart, and 13 others put under pressure to mitigate meat risk with plant-based protein.
Read More »
Antibiotic-Resistance Classified in Same Group as AIDS
Top global officials say it is causing a "fundamental threat" to the planet.
Read More »
New Law Lets Citizens Rescue Animals from Hot Cars
Californians will not face criminal or civil charges for rescuing animals from imminent danger.
Read More »
- Moby to Release New Album That Speaks Up for Animals
- University of South Carolina Halts Live Pig Training
- New Study Links Pork to Kidney Disease
- World's Spiciest Tortilla Chip is Vegan
- Leather Alternatives Predicted to Take Over Sports Shoe Industry
- Dairy Farmers to Slash Emissions by 40 Percent
- US Prisons to Start Offering Vegan Meals
- Houston to Open Vegan Ice Cream Shop
- Almond Milk Leads to 10,000 Fewer Dairy Cows in California
- New Study Shows Chicory Root Lowers Risk of Diabetes
- Activist Angela Davis Featured in Heroes Exhibit
- Dairy Farmer Charged with Killing Four Grizzly Bears
- UN Climate Discussion Fails to Address Meat Consumption
- Beloved Author Opens Second Restaurant in Brooklyn
- New York Burger Bar to Debut Monster Vegan Shake
- Ellie Goulding Speaks Out Against Meat
- Petition for Vegan Options at In-N-Out Gains Steam
- People Care More About Animals Than They Did in the 70s
- Tyson Will No Longer Stab Chickens in the Nostrils
- Young Hollywood Starlet Goes Vegan for the Animals