Ellen DeGeneres and Portia de Rossi Adopt Esther the Wonder Pig
The Hollywood couple fall in love with famous pig after watching videos on YouTube.
If you haven’t heard of Esther the Wonder Pig, you’ve probably been living on a remote island for the past six months with no connection to the outside world. Esther—born in 2012 on a commercial pig farm and then adopted by a couple in Toronto, Canada—has become an internet sensation with her very own website, Facebook page (120k fans and counting), Twitter following, and YouTube channel. People all over the world have fallen in love with 400-pound Esther after watching her sleep, yawn, take a bath, wrestle with her canine siblings, open doors, eat breakfast, and play tag with the family.
And one of those people happen to be Ellen DeGeneres. In an exclusive interview with VegNews, the talk show host and vegan tells us that it all started one night this past January. “Portia and I were making our favorite tempeh chili for dinner and decided that we wanted a salad to go with it. So I hopped on my iPad to watch the Vegan Zombie video for Creamy Kale Salad, which Portia loves. Well, I kept watching those zombie boys but then somehow ended up on Esther’s YouTube page. That’s when it all began.”
Ellen fell fast and hard for the vegan wonder pig. She admits to staying up all night after that serendipitous kale salad to watch heartwarming videos of Esther eat pie, fluff her bed, watch TV, and flash her signature smile to the camera. In the middle of the night, Portia remembers waking up to find Ellen laughing hysterically in front of the computer. Thinking she was just up late writing jokes for her upcoming Oscar gig, Portia shook her head and went back to sleep.
By the next morning, Ellen had already reached out to Esther’s family in Toronto to arrange a meeting. Esther’s dad, Derek Walter, recalls that unexpected phone call. “Hi, this is Ellen,” Derek remembers the famous comedian saying. She continues, “I can’t stop thinking about Esther, and I have to meet her. We have a private plane waiting out front and can be there in six hours. We’ll bring vegan cookies.” Derek and his partner, Steve Jenkins, agreed to the visit by the celebrity duo. “After all, who wouldn’t, eh?” says Steve. “And no one makes vegan chocolate chip cookies better than they do, plus they make them gluten-free!”
That morning, after watching videos of Esther snuggling up to the family dogs and opening the refrigerator door for a snack, Portia quickly understood Ellen’s desire to meet Esther. “I, too, fell in love with her,” says Portia. “That grin! That swagger! Those eyes! I couldn’t get enough.” So the two set out for Ontario, Canada and spent the entire flight watching every single YouTube video of Esther the Wonder Pig—again and again.
Fast forward three months, Ellen and Portia have visited Esther 11 times and even purchased and renovated a farm on the city outskirts where Esther stays while the couple is in town. Steve tells VegNews that “Esther loves to play tag and tug-of-war, so the 75 acres Ellen and Portia bought come in very handy for outdoor playtime.” But just last week, after it became obvious how much Esther had bonded with her new California companions, her two dads agreed to let Ellen and Portia legally adopt her.
“It will be a good life for Esther, as she’ll thrive in the warm Los Angeles climate,” Derek says. “And since she’s a celebrity herself, she’ll fit right into the Hollywood scene as well as have daily access to her favorite foods—kale salad and green juice. But most importantly, we made it very clear to the girls what Esther needs to maximize her comfort level.”
So just what were those stipulations? According to the adoption contract, Esther must:
- • Have her own bathroom (complete with hot tub, cold plunge, and heated floors)
- • Have a private dressing room outfitted with eco-friendly bedding and fresh flowers on the set of The Ellen DeGeneres Show
- • Receive three deep-tissue massages a week by LA’s top animal masseuse
- • Eat only organic food prepared by a live-in vegan chef
- • Get a minimum of three hours of pool time each day
- • Be honored at a welcome dinner hosted by Jason Bateman at Crossroads Kitchen
- • Attend at least one vegan restaurant opening every week
- • Have regular check-in appointments with Cesar Millan to ensure she is happy, healthy, and fulfilled
Oh, and those selfies Ellen is a big fan of? Make room for Esther.
Expert Says Dairy Industry Will Vanish in 10 Years
During Glasgow's dairy conference, industry panelists warn that plant-based alternatives will make dairy obsolete in less than a decade.
Read More »
Grandmother Goes Vegan Before 96th Birthday
Anne Fraser was inspired to give up animal products to stay true to her yoga mantra of loving all beings.
Read More »
Sales Triple at London Pub after it Goes Vegan
Eatery The Blacksmith and The Toffeemaker threw out its meat grinder in January, eliminated straws, and intends to stay fully vegan forever.
Read More »
CEO Confident McDonald's Will Sell Vegan Beyond Burger
Beyond Meat's Ethan Brown says it's only a matter of time before the company's plant-based Beyond Burgers arrives at chains such as McDonald's, Burger King, and Wendy's.
Read More »
Vegan Greased Pole Doughnut Debuts to Lure Eagles Fans
Vegan shop Dottie's Donuts gives Philadelphia Eagles fans a greasy pole to climb before the Super Bowl.
Read More »
- Vegan Actress Sparks Tempeh Bacon Frenzy at Whole Foods
- Vegan Pizzas Continue to Sell Out at Domino's
- Bareburger Replaces Elk and Boar with Vegan Burgers
- Vegan Strong Race Car to Debut at Daytona
- Brothers Row Across Atlantic to Dispel Vegan Myths
- Stand-Up Comic Adam Sank Goes Vegan for the Animals
- Cargill Invests in Plant-Based Protein
- Muay Thai Fighter to Open Vegan Bakery in NYC
- Vegan Brand Breaks Indiegogo's Crowdfunding Record
- Playboy Playmate Amanda Cerny is Vegan
- Luxe Department Stores Launch Decadent Vegan Menu
- Mosa Meat to Debut Slaughter-Free Meat by 2020
- Grass is Running Out for Grass-Fed Beef
- Impossible Burger Prompts Eatery to Offer Vegan Options
- Vegan Senator Cory Booker Launches Podcast
- Danone Shuts Down its Milk Business in India
- Will Algae Be the Hottest New Plant-Based Protein?
- Miyoko's Kitchen Debuts Three Vegan Pub Cheeses
- Ben & Jerry's Debuts Two New Vegan Ice Cream Flavors
- Norway Bans Fur Farms