Biggest Loser Producer Launches Plant-Based Show
JD Roth's new series The Big Fat Truth helps participants lose weight, fight diabetes, and attain a healthy lifestyle through whole foods, plant-based nutrition.
Famed producer behind hit NBC show The Biggest Loser JD Roth will soon launch plant-based reality series The Big Fat Truth. Each hour-long episode will follow a specific group of people—diabetics, new moms, night nurses, previous weight-loss show contestants, and more—and challenge them to consume a plant-based diet for 90 days. Vegan meal delivery service Kitchen Therapy will provide participants with vegan meals for the first 10 days of their journey, and their individual progress throughout the time period will be monitored by vegan medical professionals including Michael Greger, MD—who Roth lovingly calls “the Michael Jordan of the plant-based world.” Roth transitioned to a plant-based diet several years ago—a journey he documented in his book that shares a name with the new series—at the behest of his wife Christine, who serves as a consulting nutritionist on the show. “Over the years, I’ve learned what I’ve done right and what I’ve done wrong,” Roth tells VegNews. “I can no longer support a lifestyle with animal products knowing what I know.” Roth says a group of six diabetic participants featured on the show completely ceased taking medication after the initial 10-day, plant-based transition—“just from eating plants!,” Roth exclaims. The Biggest Loser’s first winner, Ryan Benson—who gained back most of the weight he lost during the first season in 2005—makes an appearance in the new series as well. “After The Biggest Loser, [Benson] said ‘thank you for the $250,000 check, and then went straight to his favorite burger place,” Roth recounts, adding, “the mind is the body’s biggest muscle.” Roth believes the medical industry is undereducated about the consumption of plants as medicine, and admits that while he himself once benefited from the money spent on quick-fix diet programs, a more holistic approach to sustainable health can be achieved by eschewing animal products and processed foods altogether. “I want to do my part with the brand I built,” Roth says. “It’s not about watching me drink almond milk, but about putting it into action.” The first episode of The Big Fat Truth—which Roth says will either focus on five previous participants of The Biggest Loser or six diabetics—is set to debut in April 2017 on the wellness network, Z Living.
World's First 24-Hour Vegan Drive-Thru Debuts in June
Canada's Globally Local will serve vegan versions of Big Macs and Whoppers at its new late-night location.
Read More »
H&M Names "Wineleather" a Global Changemaker
Italian company Vegea Vegetal Leather creates vegan materials from grapes left over from the wine industry.
Read More »
White Castle Rolls Out New Vegan Black Bean Slider
The tiny sandwich joins White Castle's original veggie slider option as the chain expands its plant-based options.
Read More »
Vegan BBQ Turns Into Proper Sit-Down Restaurant
Portland's Homegrown Smoker will bring re-imagined versions of its vegan tempeh Reuben and Shepard's Pie to the St. John's neighborhood this summer.
Read More »
Chickpea Startup Gets $8 Million Capital Boost
Plant-protein company Nutriati received a sizable investment from firms in London, San Francisco, Los Angeles, and Virginia to help bring its in-demand products to market.
Read More »
- Beyond Burger to Be Served on Capitol Hill
- Etnies Launches Cruelty-Free Shoe to Honor Vegan Skater
- Vegan Tattoo Shop to Hold Benefit for Animals
- Playing the Lotto is Now a Win for Animals
- Startup to Inspire Gen Z to Go Vegan by Age 25
- New NGO Aims to Make Vegan Food Widely Available
- New Animal Sanctuary Herbivorous Acres Finds a Home
- Vegan Eatery with Ocean Views to Open in Miami
- Vegan Burger Gets Big Thumbs Up from Men's Health
- Vegan Doctors File Suit to Ban Hot Dogs in LA Schools
- "On a Bus" Vegan Eatery Debuts on a Bus in Milwaukee
- Vegan Butcher Shop Hosts Croissant Pop-Up
- Chickpea Protein to Expand Plant-Based Sector
- Vegan Meatballs Pave the Way for Standalone IKEA Café
- Federal Court Orders Factory Farms to Report Pollution
- Eating Avocado Daily Fights Metabolic Syndrome
- San Diego Politicians Go Veg for a Week
- Vegan Impossible Burger Debuts in Sin City
- Vegan Cauliflower-Based Pizza Crust, Now in 3D
- First All-Vegan Aquafaba Meringue Store Launches