Biggest Loser Producer Launches Plant-Based Show
JD Roth's new series The Big Fat Truth helps participants lose weight, fight diabetes, and attain a healthy lifestyle through whole foods, plant-based nutrition.
Famed producer behind hit NBC show The Biggest Loser JD Roth will soon launch plant-based reality series The Big Fat Truth. Each hour-long episode will follow a specific group of people—diabetics, new moms, night nurses, previous weight-loss show contestants, and more—and challenge them to consume a plant-based diet for 90 days. Vegan meal delivery service Kitchen Therapy will provide participants with vegan meals for the first 10 days of their journey, and their individual progress throughout the time period will be monitored by vegan medical professionals including Michael Greger, MD—who Roth lovingly calls “the Michael Jordan of the plant-based world.” Roth transitioned to a plant-based diet several years ago—a journey he documented in his book that shares a name with the new series—at the behest of his wife Christine, who serves as a consulting nutritionist on the show. “Over the years, I’ve learned what I’ve done right and what I’ve done wrong,” Roth tells VegNews. “I can no longer support a lifestyle with animal products knowing what I know.” Roth says a group of six diabetic participants featured on the show completely ceased taking medication after the initial 10-day, plant-based transition—“just from eating plants!,” Roth exclaims. The Biggest Loser’s first winner, Ryan Benson—who gained back most of the weight he lost during the first season in 2005—makes an appearance in the new series as well. “After The Biggest Loser, [Benson] said ‘thank you for the $250,000 check, and then went straight to his favorite burger place,” Roth recounts, adding, “the mind is the body’s biggest muscle.” Roth believes the medical industry is undereducated about the consumption of plants as medicine, and admits that while he himself once benefited from the money spent on quick-fix diet programs, a more holistic approach to sustainable health can be achieved by eschewing animal products and processed foods altogether. “I want to do my part with the brand I built,” Roth says. “It’s not about watching me drink almond milk, but about putting it into action.” The first episode of The Big Fat Truth—which Roth says will either focus on five previous participants of The Biggest Loser or six diabetics—is set to debut in April 2017 on the wellness network, Z Living.
Postmates Now Delivers Impossible Burger for Free
Burger lovers in Los Angeles can now get a vegan Impossible Burger from Fatburger delivered in 30 minutes or less.
Read More »
Investigations Uncover Cannibalism at Turkey Farm
Undercover footage reveals birds eating other birds, widespread injury and disease, and squalid living conditions at one of the world's largest turkey producers.
Read More »
Indian Frozen Yogurt Chain Debuts Five Vegan Flavors
India-based Cocoberry—a Pinkberry-like chain—will introduce a line of vegan options in time for Christmas.
Read More »
Nearly Half of Americans Want to Ban Slaughterhouses
A new survey shows that 47 percent of adults in the United States support closing all slaughterhouses, while 69 percent identify animal agriculture as a top social issue worldwide.
Read More »
All-Vegan Next Level Burger Expands to CA Whole Foods
Following its Seattle expansion, the Oregon-based vegan burger chain will open in California next month.
Read More »
- Horrific Abuse Uncovered at Family Dairy Farm
- New York Magazine Creates Vegan Encyclopedia
- Vegan Feast to Benefit Earthquake Relief in Mexico
- 100-Vendor Vegan Market Opens in Australia
- Vegan Thanksgiving Radio Play Premieres
- Portia de Rossi Pays Surprise Visit to Vegan Butcher Shop
- Milk Consumption Drops by 22 Percent Since 2000
- Kyrie Irving Credits Vegan Diet for Winning Streak
- GQ Names Colin Kaepernick Citizen of the Year
- World's First Vegan Shoe Line Made from Apples Debuts
- Vegan Soul Food Spot to Open in Nashville
- Activist Tattoos 40K Crosses to Honor Farmed Animals
- Vegan Reddi-Wip to Debut
- LUSH Grants $445,000 to End Animal Testing
- Ruby Rose Speaks Out Against Body Shaming
- 15,000 Scientists Urge Citizens to Adopt Plant-Based Diet
- Upscale Canadian Vegan Eatery Lands in Miami
- Domino's Commits to Adding Vegan Cheese Next Year
- Italy Bans All Animal Circuses
- Swedish YouTube Star Makes World's Largest Vegan Cake