Biggest Loser Producer Launches Plant-Based Show
JD Roth's new series The Big Fat Truth helps participants lose weight, fight diabetes, and attain a healthy lifestyle through whole foods, plant-based nutrition.
Famed producer behind hit NBC show The Biggest Loser JD Roth will soon launch plant-based reality series The Big Fat Truth. Each hour-long episode will follow a specific group of people—diabetics, new moms, night nurses, previous weight-loss show contestants, and more—and challenge them to consume a plant-based diet for 90 days. Vegan meal delivery service Kitchen Therapy will provide participants with vegan meals for the first 10 days of their journey, and their individual progress throughout the time period will be monitored by vegan medical professionals including Michael Greger, MD—who Roth lovingly calls “the Michael Jordan of the plant-based world.” Roth transitioned to a plant-based diet several years ago—a journey he documented in his book that shares a name with the new series—at the behest of his wife Christine, who serves as a consulting nutritionist on the show. “Over the years, I’ve learned what I’ve done right and what I’ve done wrong,” Roth tells VegNews. “I can no longer support a lifestyle with animal products knowing what I know.” Roth says a group of six diabetic participants featured on the show completely ceased taking medication after the initial 10-day, plant-based transition—“just from eating plants!,” Roth exclaims. The Biggest Loser’s first winner, Ryan Benson—who gained back most of the weight he lost during the first season in 2005—makes an appearance in the new series as well. “After The Biggest Loser, [Benson] said ‘thank you for the $250,000 check, and then went straight to his favorite burger place,” Roth recounts, adding, “the mind is the body’s biggest muscle.” Roth believes the medical industry is undereducated about the consumption of plants as medicine, and admits that while he himself once benefited from the money spent on quick-fix diet programs, a more holistic approach to sustainable health can be achieved by eschewing animal products and processed foods altogether. “I want to do my part with the brand I built,” Roth says. “It’s not about watching me drink almond milk, but about putting it into action.” The first episode of The Big Fat Truth—which Roth says will either focus on five previous participants of The Biggest Loser or six diabetics—is set to debut in April 2017 on the wellness network, Z Living.
Veganism Fueling Global Demand for Coconut Milk
The coconut milk industry is expected to boom as the world population continues to steer clear of cow's milk.
Read More »
Abused-Animal Sanctuary in Mississippi Gets a Facelift
Newly reimagined Hope Animal Sanctuary features 20 tiny houses that serve as comfortable habitats for rescued animals.
Read More »
Utah Mayor Goes Vegan to Set Example for Citizens
Park City Mayor Andy Beerman will not consume animal products for 10 days—and possibly beyond—to show city residents that plant-based eating is easy.
Read More »
UK Makeup Guru Says Vegan is "The Right Thing to Do"
Jessica Rose urges makeup artists to use only vegan products to avoid supporting animal exploitation for vanity's sake.
Read More »
Karlie Kloss Touts Beyond Burger as the Future of Meat
The Victoria's Secret supermodel—and founder of female empowerment brand Kode with Klossy—visits Beyond Meat's California production facility and chats with Top Chef winner Brooke Williamson about the revolutionary plant-based patty.
Read More »
- NY Fireman Credits Veganism for Helping Him Save Lives
- Researchers Uncover Plant-Based B12 Breakthrough
- Sacramento to Host Month-Long Vegan Burger Battle
- The Walking Dead Star Austin Amelio Goes Vegan
- Virtual Reality Program Lets People Talk to Animals
- Comfort Food Eatery Greedi Vegan Opens in Brooklyn
- Designers Create Vegan Leather from Coconut Water
- Vegan Chain Cinnaholic Expands to 136 More Locations
- JUST Debuts Vegan Chocolate Mint Cookie Dough
- Three-Story Vegan Complex to Open in UK
- Amazon Names "Meat-Free" Top Summer Grilling Trend
- British Baker Veganizes Royal Wedding Cake
- New Vegan "Bleeding" Burger Debuts
- Vegan Beer Industry to Expand Due to Millennial Demand
- Hugo Boss Debuts Pineapple-Leather Vegan Sneakers
- Vegan Game Now Available for Free on Nintendo Switch
- White Castle Gives Out Free Vegan Sliders
- Häagen-Dazs Debuts Vegan-Friendly Ice Cream Locator
- Mexico-Based Vegan Taqueria Opens First US Shop
- Denver Eatery Veganizes All Its Doughnuts