Preventing Aging with Vegan Food
Stop dreading birthdays and turn back the clock with a fruit- and veggie-filled diet.
While we have yet to crack the code to the fountain of youth, there are some sneaky ways to ensure you'll get carded a little longer than your omni friends. As PETA's sexiest vegetarian over 50 Mimi Kirk proves, 70 really can be the new 20. Here's how to maximize the anti-aging benefits inherent in vegan foodstuffs.
Nothing gives away your age more than wrinkles—or a bad botox job. But instead of using expensive creams that work from the outside, try something that works from within. Vitamin C supports the synthesis of collagen, the structural protein in our tissues that makes up 75 to 80 percent of skin, and collagen breakdown is responsible for the wrinkles that seem inevitable. With vitamin C abundant in countless plant foods from cabbage and potatoes to citrus and pomegranate, some hypothesize that diets packing seven to nine servings per day of fresh produce may help skin retain its elasticity.
Taste the Rainbow
Antioxidants prevent the formation of free radicals, which are unstable particles produced in the body that can damage cells and lead to a whole host of health problems. Without antioxidants, these harmful particles accumulate over time. If you want to avoid this, just think color! Blueberries' rich hue reveals they are full of flavanoids that fight free radicals. Bright orange carrots and sweet potatoes have high levels of beta-carotene, which is known to promote healthy skin, eyes, and cardio health. Ruby red tomatoes have lots of lycopene, a compound that protects the arteries.
Bone loss becomes a major concern as the years progress. It is important for bones to stay strong so you can reduce the risk of osteoporosis and stay fit. What squashes an active lifestyle more than a broken hip? Calcium is an important mineral for bone health, and one great plant source is kale, which has more calcium per gram than cow's milk. And don't forget to up your vitamin D intake to help calcium absorption—15 minutes per day of sun exposure should be sufficient.
Maintaining a youthful figure is harder at 60 than it is at 16, because metabolism slows down with age. So pick foods that are full of nutrients but light on calories. Another way to stave off the pounds is to increase your fiber intake, because it keeps you fuller for longer. Luckily, fiber is available everywhere in whole fruits, vegetables, and grains. Try to incorporate beans into your meals for some soluble fiber that promotes digestive health.
Don't Fear the Fats
Fats derived from animal sources can speed up aging and add to health problems, but plant-based fats offer a great deal of benefits. Walnuts are loaded with alpha-linoleic acid, an omega-3 fatty acid that keeps your heart and brain functioning optimally. Avocados contain oleic acid, which works to improve cholesterol levels. This good-fat-filled fruit also has potassium and folate, which lower the risk of heart attack and stroke. While genetics play an important role, when it comes to aging, you are what you eat.
9 Game-Changing Nut Butters Were Loving
Say hello to the craziest nut butters you wont be able to get enough of.
Read More »
An Open Letter to Coffeehouses Who Charge for Soy Milk ...
Would you like an upcharge with your soy (or almond or coconut or hemp) latte? No, thank you. Enough is enough.
Read More »
8 Vegan Foods You're Pronouncing Wrong
Take your veganism to the next level by saying these eight hard-to-pronounce words with confidence.
Read More »
5 Quotes from the Man Who Helped Overturn Idaho's Ag-Gag Law
Matthew Liebman, the attorney responsible for helping reverse the bill, took to Reddit yesterday to discuss the monumental ruling.
Read More »
Dear Facebook Friends ...
The killing of Cecil the lion in Zimbabwe by an American dentist has one vegan writer wondering how his Facebook friends could be so right—and so wrong.
Read More »
- Groundbreaking Vegan Medical Center to Open This Fall
- 5 Ways to Create a Great Vegan Picnic
- The Best Vegan Diet Tips for Long-Distance Running
- Sneak Preview: What's on the Menu at Chloe Coscarelli's NYC Restaurant?
- 14 Reasons Why Pitchfork Music Festival Is Vegan Paradise
- 10 Vegan Street Food Dishes around the Globe
- Vegan Meringue Has Arrived
- How One Rancher's Wife Used Crowdfunding to Finance the Animal Sanctuary of Her Dreams
- 10 Essentials for the Ultimate Fourth of July
- How One Man Survived Mount Everest and the Nepalese Earthquake
- 11 Things You Didnt Know About Pigs
- Top 10 Male Vegan Bloggers
- Vegan Fathers Day, Flowchart-Style
- 10 Mouthwatering Vegan Doughnuts from Coast to Coast
- How to Veganize Any Recipe: Sweet Edition
- 5 Reasons Im Glad to Be Vegan
- Subscriber Appreciation Month Giveaway: Justin's Wonder Box
- Subscriber Appreciation Month Giveaway: Vegan Candy Bars
- 10 Foods You Never Thought Youd Eat Again
- Subscriber Appreciation Month Giveaway: Vegan Marshmallow Kit