6 Vegan Lip Glosses Perfect for Summer
Summers the time for days at the beach, warm nights under the stars, and lips that sport the perfect coat of gloss.
Some things go hand in hand with the summer’s bright, steamy days: eating al fresco, trips to the beach (or lake, for us inland folk), and glossy lips that perfectly accompany sun-kissed skin. In order to give you more time to soak in the sun, we’ve found six cruelty-free lip glosses that’ll give you a classic—and ethical—summertime look.
1. Tarte LipSurgence
If you’re looking to infuse your hot weather look with a little summertime peach, Tarte’s LipSurgence in Blissful is a wonderful lip color. Offering a fair amount of shine and a nice natural shade, LipSurgence makes a great go-to gloss to tote with you at all times. Wear it with a full face of makeup for a sexy polished look or with your bare skin to add just a bit of shine. For something on the bronzer end of the spectrum, try the gloss in Park Ave Princess. You can pick from eight shades (all vegan and cruelty-free) at the Tarte website, or test them in person at Sephora.
2. e.l.f. Lip Lacquer
Maybe you’re a purist who doesn’t want any pigment in your pretty gloss. If so, for a little bit of shine to achieve a color-free natural look, try e.l.f.’s Lip Lacquer in clear, which is only $2 at the e.l.f. website. All e.l.f. makeup is vegan, so if you decide you want the affordability of an e.l.f. gloss but crave a little color, you can pick from an assortment of shades from purple to beige. Widely available in drugstores, e.l.f. can also be found at the Target, Amazon, and Ulta websites.
3. Milk Makeup Holographic Lip Gloss
It’s always nice when a cosmetics company labels its vegan products as such, so cruelty-free Milk Makeup gets extra points for indicating its vegan status at its Sephora displays. With an edgy aesthetic, Milk Makeup’s glosses are great for those of us who want a bit of drama mixed with our gloss. With its post-modern white sheen, the Holographic Lip Gloss is great for those who want a look that’s more avant-garde than the usual gloss offerings. If you can’t get to a store to purchase it, you can order it online.
4. Modern Minerals Lip Gloss
For high gloss and a splash of color, Modern Minerals’ Goddess Lotus Wei infused Lip Gloss is a sheer red shade deliciously scented with lavender, chamomile, rose, and neroli (an essential oil derived from the bitter orange tree) that packs a bit of a (nonviolent) punch. As a moisturizing gloss, this shiny, high impact shade will smooth your lips to prepare you when your date leans in for a smooch. Best of all, Modern Minerals makeup is 100-percent vegan, so you can feel good about supporting a business that supports animals.
5. Hourglass Extreme Sheen
Hourglass cosmetics offers many products that are vegan, including the luxurious Extreme Sheen lip gloss in Ignite. The shade brings a glowing light bronze gloss with the subtlest sparkle to summertime lips. With its sheer color and medium level shine, Ignite is a great daytime gloss you can carry in your beach bag as well as a nighttime lip color to complement your evening dress. If you crave more Hourglass makeup, stop by the company’s website to assess which products are vegan.
6. Arbonne Glossed Over Lip Gloss
All-vegan Arbonne has been offering makeup for many years. Available from the Arbonne website for $25, the Glossed Over Lip Gloss in Cosmos is a fun, strong magenta shade with plenty of shine (which is perfect for when more color is in order), while Cosmos works equally well for a hot summer night out or for bringing some summer fun to days at work. There are 10 other shades from which to choose, from the perfectly pink Linden to the deep purple Hyacinth.
Maya Gottfried is the author of Vegan Love: Dating and Partnering for the Cruelty-Free Gal and Our Farm: By the Animals of Farm Sanctuary.
40 Things I Desperately Want to Eat at Los Angeles' Hottest Vegan Festival
My tupperware's set, I've only eaten kale the past four days, and I'm ready for Eat Drink Vegan.
Read More »
How to Throw the Ultimate Graduation Vegan Barbecue
Schools out for summer—or maybe even forever—so fire up the grill and treat yourself and your loved ones to the ultimate celebration.
Read More »
5 Ways to Celebrate a Vegan Mother's Day with Your Mom
Show your mom you love her with vegan food, gifts, and fun.
Read More »
7 Pampering Vegan Products That Say I Love You, Mom
This Mothers Day, say thanks to your mom by creating a relaxing environment that is ethical, cruelty-free, and aesthetically pleasing.
Read More »
Wicked Kitchen Chef Dishes on the Future of Vegan Food
Former Whole Foods UK chef Derek Sarno hops the pond to Tesco.
Read More »
- Why Going Vegan Can Help You Relax
- 3 Vegan Prom Makeup Looks
- The Ex-Airline Pilot Behind New York's Favorite Vegan Burger
- 10 Vegan Oatmeal Cups for the Person on the Go
- 8 Vegan Etsy Stickers That Your Car, Laptop, and Water Bottle Need, Like, Yesterday
- This 10-Minute Documentary Is Showing How Children Are Embracing Veganism
- It's Time for Men to Get Over Their Fears of Being Vegan
- We're Giving 5 Classic Films a Vegan Makeover
- VegFest Puerto Rico Built Community and Mainstreamed Veganism
- 8 Vegan Foods Making the 2018 Food-Trend List
- Fall in Love With Niagara's Vegan Scene
- If Trader Joe's Made These 11 Frozen Foods Vegan, We'd Never Have To Cook Again
- 8 Quirky Vegan Burritos To Make You Rethink Your Favorite Meal
- If You're a Broke Vegan Student, Read This
- It's Time Your Dog Went Vegan
- 6 Tips for Losing Weight on a Vegan Diet
- You're 8 Steps Away from Setting a Vegan Easter Table
- Did You Know César Chávez Was Also an Animal-Rights Activist?
- 10 Medical Reasons to Skip the Eggs on Easter
- 5 Startup Food Companies About to Revolutionize Veganism