VegNews welcomes freelance inquiries and is open to a variety of subjects relating to vegetarianism. Our mission is to inform, make people think, and entertain. When sending a pitch, please include two to three writing samples (ideally published clips), either as a Word attachment, a list of urls, or by postal mail to our San Francisco offices. Please note that we never publish unsolicited pieces.
A few tips for getting published in VegNews:
- Know the magazine. Read it, study it, learn it, know it. Get a sense of where your writing will fit in best, and let us know. Do you live in a particularly veg-friendly town and interested in penning a VegEscape, or do you have a great idea for a compelling exposé? It's amazing how many queries we receive from folks who haven't read the publication.
- Keep your pitches concise. Tease us with your tantalizing ideas, and we'll come running. We just don't have time to read 10-page story ideas.
- Communicate via email. We are always connected, and email is our preferred method of communication for initial writing queries. Our team will get back to you as promptly as we can. Whether you are a seasoned or aspiring writer, there are many areas freelancers can contribute to VegNews, including:
- Food feature
- Restaurant review
- Business profile
- Feature article
- How I Went Veg
- Back-page piece
All contributions to VegNews are paid. In addition, we offer a great writing experience and these benefits:
- The opportunity to work with a professional editing team
- The opportunity to be published in an award-winning, national magazine
- A complimentary subscription to VegNews Magazine
- A tear sheet of the published work for your portfolio
- The opportunity to gain recognition in the vegetarian community
Please send all writing proposals and questions to our editorial team. Due to the high volume of queries we receive, it may take up to 60 days to receive a response from a VegNews editor. We look forward to hearing your ideas!