VegNews welcomes freelance inquiries and is open to a variety of subjects relating to vegetarianism. Our mission is to inform, make people think, and entertain. When sending a pitch, please include two to three writing samples (ideally published clips), either as a Word attachment or a list of urls. Please note that we never publish unsolicited pieces.
A few tips for getting published in VegNews:
- Know the magazine and website. Read it, study it, learn it, know it. Get a sense of where your writing will fit in best, and let us know. Do you live in a particularly veg-friendly town and interested in penning a VegEscape, or do you have a great idea for a compelling exposé? It's amazing how many queries we receive from folks who haven't read the publication or visited our website.
- Keep your pitches concise. Tease us with your tantalizing ideas, and we'll come running. We just don't have time to read 10-page story ideas.
- Communicate via email. We are always connected, and email is our preferred method of communication for initial writing queries. Our team will get back to you as promptly as we can. Whether you are a seasoned or aspiring writer, there are many areas freelancers can contribute to VegNews, including:
- Food features
- Restaurant reviews
- Business profiles
- Feature articles
- Back-page pieces
Contributions to VegNews magazine are typically paid, but contributions to VegNews.com are currently not. We provide a great writing/editing experience plus these benefits:
- The opportunity to work with a professional editing team
- The opportunity to be published in an award-winning, national magazine and/or website
- A tear sheet of the published work for your portfolio
- The opportunity to gain recognition in the vegetarian community
Please send all writing proposals and questions to our editorial team. Due to the high volume of queries we receive, it may take up to 60 days to receive a response from a VegNews editor. We look forward to hearing your ideas!