Put Your Freshest Face Forward with These DIY Tips
Obsessed with the DIY skin tips in our January+February issue? Get glam guerilla-style with these tricks.
In our January+February issue, VN reveals five great ways that fruits and veggies can rejuvenate skin—whether as a snack or face mask. Yes, the produce section can also easily double as the personal care aisle when it comes to natural approaches to skin, hair, and nail care. Not only are these home remedies all-natural alternatives free of harsh chemicals, but they also have the added benefit of doubling as delicious treats—avocado moisture mask or afternoon treat? Either way, you're nourishing your body with pure, necessary nutrients. Check out these additional methods of do-it-yourself personal care.
To be (organic) or not to be
Organic produce can cost you a pretty penny, so is it worth it when it comes to DIY skin care? Acclaimed author, raw food chef, and green-living diva extraordinaire Ani Phyo puts it this way: "It's important to use organic whenever possible because anything we put on our skin is the same as eating it, since it's absorbed through our skin into our body. It's a good idea to always keep toxic chemicals we take into our bodies to a minimum since we get enough toxins from our environment, in the air we breathe, the fabrics we wear on our skin, and in the water we shower in." The bottom line: If you're already willing to spend a little extra to make your skin feel pampered and protected, organic is clearly the way to go.
Do you know your ABCs?
Here's something we wish we had learned in kindergarten: How to snack your way to better skin. Vitamins A, C, and E work together to build collagen and keep skin firm. They also protect against wrinkles, fine lines, and UV damage, keeping skin smooth and youthful. Colorful fruits and veggies like berries, citrus fruits, melon, corn, and peppers will also keep you looking lovely since they're good sources of these vitamins. Snack on nuts and seeds to amp up vitamin E intake—and thus turn back the clock on aging skin. B vitamins—found in peaches, bananas, melon, and strawberries—form skin, nail, and hair cells, and also improve cardiovascular health to help you achieve that gorgeous, sun-kissed glow. Also, don't be scared to stock up on essential fatty acids, or EFAs, to reduce inflammation and wrinkles and improve overall complexion. You can get omega 3s from flax seeds, hemp seeds, avocados, and spirulina, and omega 6s from nuts and grains.
Berry Nice Skin
For some, açaí berries are a semi-sweet treat addictive enough to pop like candy. For others, they offer a less enjoyable experience. Fortunately, there is good news for both camps: whether eaten or applied topically, açai berries pack a healthy punch. These blue-purple berries boast vitamins and high antioxidant levels, helping to fight free radicals that can damage skin. So, what does this mean for moisturizing? Açaí combats premature aging, nourishes skin cells, and helps balance overall skin tone. If you prefer açaí shaken into a cream—and not stirred into your yogurt—simply combine mashed berries with one tablespoon oil and one tablespoon mineral salts and mash to create a thick paste. Scrub, exfoliate, and enjoy!
How Do You Remember 100 Songs in 4 Days? For Pop-Punk Band Alkaline Trio, the Answer is Veganism
Matt Skiba says eschewing dairy helps with his voice and his on-stage energy level.
Read More »
5 Woman-Owned Vegan Businesses You Should Be Obsessed With
What's even better than a vegan business? A vegan business owned by a woman.
Read More »
6 Valentine's Day Gifts for that Vegan Curmudgeon in Your Life
Buy me D3 gummies, fancy moisturizer, and a ticket to see the Misfits, and Ill be your Valentine.
Read More »
6 Red-Hot Vegan Lipsticks To Drive Your Valentine Crazy
Make your Valentines Day even hotter with these all-vegan sexy shades for your lips.
Read More »
How a Vegan Canadian Figure Skater Prepared to Win Gold at the Winter Olympics
Meagan Duhamels intense fitness regimen and plant-based diet led her to that international Olympic podium.
Read More »
- How to Be a Vegan Teen Valentine
- Vegan Valentine's Day Tips From No. 1 Best-Selling Author Kathy Freston
- 5 Vegan Turmeric Recipes for Those Who Are Slightly Intimidated by It
- How A Vegan Diet is Making ''Everything'' Easier for One Punk Singer
- Your Meat-Eating Friends Want One of These 10 Vegan Books
- 7 Ways to Veganize Your Bed, Just in Time for Valentine's Day
- 5 Steps to the Perfect Vegan Valentine's Day
- 8 Love-Infused Vegan Events to Celebrate Valentine's Day
- Thanks to These 7 Vegan Pies, We Have Declared National Pizza Day a Holiday
- No Valentine This Year? Try Vegan Speed Dating
- 6 Ways to Queer Your Vegan Valentine's Day
- Bought Too Many Vegan Girl Scout Cookies? Here are 10 Desserts You Should Make With Them
- Glow Up With These 18 Vegan Beauty Brands in 2018
- How One Chef is Getting NFL Players to Go Vegan
- From Struggling for Breath to Running Marathons: Veganism Saved His Life
- 6 Badass Vegan Women Who Don't Take Any Sh*t
- 10 Vegan Chip and Dip Match-Ups Fit For A Super Bowl Smackdown
- 20 Vegan Women You Need to Follow On Instagram Today
- A Rare Heart Disease Led this 60 Year-Old to Veganism: Veganism Saved Her Life
- How One Woman is Introducing Vegan Mexican Sweets to a Rural Southern California Desert