Put Your Freshest Face Forward with These DIY Tips
Obsessed with the DIY skin tips in our January+February issue? Get glam guerilla-style with these tricks.
In our January+February issue, VN reveals five great ways that fruits and veggies can rejuvenate skin—whether as a snack or face mask. Yes, the produce section can also easily double as the personal care aisle when it comes to natural approaches to skin, hair, and nail care. Not only are these home remedies all-natural alternatives free of harsh chemicals, but they also have the added benefit of doubling as delicious treats—avocado moisture mask or afternoon treat? Either way, you're nourishing your body with pure, necessary nutrients. Check out these additional methods of do-it-yourself personal care.
To be (organic) or not to be
Organic produce can cost you a pretty penny, so is it worth it when it comes to DIY skin care? Acclaimed author, raw food chef, and green-living diva extraordinaire Ani Phyo puts it this way: "It's important to use organic whenever possible because anything we put on our skin is the same as eating it, since it's absorbed through our skin into our body. It's a good idea to always keep toxic chemicals we take into our bodies to a minimum since we get enough toxins from our environment, in the air we breathe, the fabrics we wear on our skin, and in the water we shower in." The bottom line: If you're already willing to spend a little extra to make your skin feel pampered and protected, organic is clearly the way to go.
Do you know your ABCs?
Here's something we wish we had learned in kindergarten: How to snack your way to better skin. Vitamins A, C, and E work together to build collagen and keep skin firm. They also protect against wrinkles, fine lines, and UV damage, keeping skin smooth and youthful. Colorful fruits and veggies like berries, citrus fruits, melon, corn, and peppers will also keep you looking lovely since they're good sources of these vitamins. Snack on nuts and seeds to amp up vitamin E intake—and thus turn back the clock on aging skin. B vitamins—found in peaches, bananas, melon, and strawberries—form skin, nail, and hair cells, and also improve cardiovascular health to help you achieve that gorgeous, sun-kissed glow. Also, don't be scared to stock up on essential fatty acids, or EFAs, to reduce inflammation and wrinkles and improve overall complexion. You can get omega 3s from flax seeds, hemp seeds, avocados, and spirulina, and omega 6s from nuts and grains.
Berry Nice Skin
For some, açaí berries are a semi-sweet treat addictive enough to pop like candy. For others, they offer a less enjoyable experience. Fortunately, there is good news for both camps: whether eaten or applied topically, açai berries pack a healthy punch. These blue-purple berries boast vitamins and high antioxidant levels, helping to fight free radicals that can damage skin. So, what does this mean for moisturizing? Açaí combats premature aging, nourishes skin cells, and helps balance overall skin tone. If you prefer açaí shaken into a cream—and not stirred into your yogurt—simply combine mashed berries with one tablespoon oil and one tablespoon mineral salts and mash to create a thick paste. Scrub, exfoliate, and enjoy!
40 Things I Desperately Want to Eat at Los Angeles' Hottest Vegan Festival
My tupperware's set, I've only eaten kale the past four days, and I'm ready for Eat Drink Vegan.
Read More »
How to Throw the Ultimate Graduation Vegan Barbecue
Schools out for summer—or maybe even forever—so fire up the grill and treat yourself and your loved ones to the ultimate celebration.
Read More »
5 Ways to Celebrate a Vegan Mother's Day with Your Mom
Show your mom you love her with vegan food, gifts, and fun.
Read More »
7 Pampering Vegan Products That Say I Love You, Mom
This Mothers Day, say thanks to your mom by creating a relaxing environment that is ethical, cruelty-free, and aesthetically pleasing.
Read More »
Wicked Kitchen Chef Dishes on the Future of Vegan Food
Former Whole Foods UK chef Derek Sarno hops the pond to Tesco.
Read More »
- Why Going Vegan Can Help You Relax
- 3 Vegan Prom Makeup Looks
- The Ex-Airline Pilot Behind New York's Favorite Vegan Burger
- 10 Vegan Oatmeal Cups for the Person on the Go
- 8 Vegan Etsy Stickers That Your Car, Laptop, and Water Bottle Need, Like, Yesterday
- This 10-Minute Documentary Is Showing How Children Are Embracing Veganism
- It's Time for Men to Get Over Their Fears of Being Vegan
- We're Giving 5 Classic Films a Vegan Makeover
- VegFest Puerto Rico Built Community and Mainstreamed Veganism
- 8 Vegan Foods Making the 2018 Food-Trend List
- Fall in Love With Niagara's Vegan Scene
- If Trader Joe's Made These 11 Frozen Foods Vegan, We'd Never Have To Cook Again
- 8 Quirky Vegan Burritos To Make You Rethink Your Favorite Meal
- If You're a Broke Vegan Student, Read This
- It's Time Your Dog Went Vegan
- 6 Tips for Losing Weight on a Vegan Diet
- You're 8 Steps Away from Setting a Vegan Easter Table
- Did You Know César Chávez Was Also an Animal-Rights Activist?
- 10 Medical Reasons to Skip the Eggs on Easter
- 5 Startup Food Companies About to Revolutionize Veganism