Our Favorite Iron-Rich Foods
Increase your intake of iron-rich foods and pair them with vitamin C for super absorption.
A bit of research and thoughtful meal planning is all it takes to get the iron one needs to feel energetic and strong. For vegans, iron-deficient anemia occurs when we either don't consume enough iron-rich foods or have increased loss of blood (think monthly cycles). The Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) of iron for adults is eight milligrams for men, 18 milligrams for women—27 milligrams during pregnancy and nine milligrams during lactation.
Iron's Side Kick
The equation is clear: To increase iron, one needs to eat more iron-rich foods. To increase iron absorption, pair these powerhouse foods with those high in vitamin C. Certain nutrients inhibit the absorption of iron. Calcium supplements and dairy foods; tannins found in tea, coffee, and chocolate; oxalates found in nuts, beet greens, and spinach; and phytates found in bran, whole grains and legumes, all hinder optimal iron absorption. However, there are ways of mitigating the effect through sprouting, fermenting, and pairing foods with sources of vitamin C to help increase the absorption of iron.
Not sure how to pair the two sources? Serve a nut butter sandwich layered with slices of mango to decrease the effect of oxalates in nuts. Choose sprouted wheat bread for sandwiches, and marinate some tempeh with bell peppers for Friday night's potluck. The goal is to pair—at the same meal—foods high in vitamin C with iron-rich foods. It's ideal that broccoli, bok choy, and other greens are high in both nutrients! Thanks, Mother Nature; she knew all along. The big picture is to eat a varied diet, including iron- and vitamin C-rich foods together, take your calcium supplement between meals, and enjoy what you eat. Flavor black beans with lime juice and greens with lemon, top lentil burgers with fresh salsa, and open up that cookbook for the Thai Mango Tofu with Broccoli recipe you've been waiting to prepare.
My favorite source of iron is organic blackstrap molasses, with one tablespoon providing about three milligrams of iron. Try frothing organic soymilk with some blackstrap molasses for a wonderful, iron-rich, hot beverage, with a taste reminiscent of melted marshmallows. Supplementation with a quality form of iron, such as ferrous fumarate or ferrous sulfate, can be an important boost if food alone is not enough. It's possible to obtain too much iron through supplementation, especially for men and non-menstruating women, so play it safe and ask your doctor for a blood test if you suspect an iron deficiency.
- • Greens (Swiss chard, turnip greens, kale, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, bok choy, spinach)
- • Fortified cereals, breads, and pastas
- • Soybeans and tofu
- • Blackstrap molasses
- • Lentils, black beans, beans, beans, and more beans
- • Quinoa
- • Tempeh
- • Tahini and other nuts and seeds
6 Reasons You'll Never Need Dairy Again
With so many plant-based alternatives at our fingertips, dumping dairy has never been easier!
Read More »
How to Veganize a Traditional English Breakfast
Follow these four easy steps, and vegan bangers and hash with tofu scramble, tempeh bacon, and beans will be yours.
Read More »
Superfood Pumpkin Caramel Chocolate Tarts
Nothing says winter like pumpkin—especially when its paired with caramel, chocolate, and pecans.
Read More »
7 Vegan Breakfast Desserts for Each Day of the Week
Start your day with a sweet treat that wont wreck your resolutions.
Read More »
13 Easy Weeknight Dinners to Kick Off A Healthy 2017
In the aftermath of the gluttonous holiday season, get your diet back on track with one of these quick and healthy vegan meals.
Read More »
- The Three-Day Detox Plan Anyone Can Do
- 11 Stellar Vegan Jackfruit Recipes
- Must-Know Vegan Nutrition for Winter
- OMG Oreo-Peanut Butter-Fudge Brownies
- Vegan Baking Substitution Guide
- 16 Drinks to Warm Your Winter
- Vegan Gluten-Free Baked Butternut Squash Risotto
- VegNews Guide to the Winter Farmers' Market
- 5 Foods to Keep Your Teeth Healthy this Holiday Season
- Vegan Sweet Potato Latkes
- The Top 15 Vegan Recipes of 2016
- Vegan Mexican Hot Chocolate
- Sweet Potato Pie Tacos
- VegNews Guide to a Vegan Mexican Christmas
- Raw Holiday Pomegranate Salad
- 10 Ways to Veganize Classic Hanukkah Dishes
- 9 Vegan Pie Hacks for 3 Classic Holiday Pies
- How to Make Your Own Veganized Lunchables
- Toasted Marshmallow-Pecan Milkshake
- 5 Pancakes for a Cheerfully Decadent Holiday Season