7 Ways to Have an Eco-Friendly Summer
Green your life from the inside out with these tried-and-true ideas from VN lifestyle expert Joshua Katcher.
It seems like a no-brainer to go green this summer, but where do you start? These seven easy tips will help detox your life, so when the thermometer hits 80, you’ll already be cooler than a cucumber. Whether you start by eating locally, trading your gossip rags for smart reads, or taking your sustainable skateboard instead of the SUV, you’ll be healthier, happier, and greener in no time—without compromising style, flavor, or fun.
1. From store-bought to storefronts, vegan ice cream is becoming more and more common. If you don’t have a place like Lula’s Sweet Apothecary in New York City, it’s really easy to make homemade vegan ice creams with cookbooks, including the classic Vice Cream: Gourmet Vegan Desserts by Jeff Rogers. Once you’ve mastered the basics—chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry—branch out into adventurous flavors and pump up the dairy-free volume with a backyard ice cream bar.
2. If too much ice cream and too many veggie dogs are making your summer days feel lethargic, dive into a refreshing, healthy cleanse. If you’re not ready to forego your favorite solid foods, keep your temperature cool by eating or juicing lots of organic cukes.
3. Revamping your wardrobe with vegan summer fashions ensures that you’ll look your best from the Fourth of July until Labor Day. Branch out with bold colors, and non-leather plimsolls certainly fit the bill. Stay stylish with this season’s take on gladiator sandals: a versatile, high-ankle style with a summer feel by Wanted Shoes.
4. Don’t take “getaway” so literally! Take a trip within 100 miles and earn bonus points for riding a bus or a train to get there. If you want to get some sun during your summer staycation, make sure to use healthly, eco-friendly products to shield skin. Avoid toxic oxybenzone and protect tattoos with cruelty-free, eco-friendly sun block. Maybe you’ve racked up a hefty amount of vacation days and just need a transcontinental adventure—just remember to choose a green getaway.
5. Need a craft project? How about building your own eco-friendly surfboard from Greenlight Surf Supply? With recyclable foam and bamboo parts, you can hit the beach without hurting the ocean.
6. Commit to getting your produce from the farmers’ market, and talk to the farmers! Organic, local fruits and veggies are the greenest foods you can eat. Ready to grow your own organic greens? Sunny summer is the perfect season to start planting an organic veggie garden. Wild lawns can be beautiful, and homegrown food can feed your body and your budget. For more homegrown how-to tips, check out the urban gardening feature in VN’s July +August Anniversary issue.
7. Now that we know meat is the numero uno cause of global warming, cool things down with a veggie barbecue party! Be it the backyard or the sidewalk, the perfect spot to indulge in this hot-weather tradition is right under your nose. Try marinated portabellos, eggplant, Field Roast sausage, and good old-fashioned veggie burgers.
5 Quotes from the Man Who Helped Overturn Idaho's Ag-Gag Law
Matthew Liebman, the attorney responsible for helping reverse the bill, took to Reddit yesterday to discuss the monumental ruling.
Read More »
13 DIY Projects to Celebrate Earth Day
Simple, fun projects to repurpose every day things you have around the house.
Read More »
DIY Vegan Holiday Gifts
Spending mucho moola not your idea of a happy holiday? These DIY gifts are green and affordable.
Read More »
Leather: What's Wrong with It?
In addition to leathers unethical side, its environmental effects are less-than stylish.
Read More »
DIY Hair & Skin Care
Why use harsh chemicals on your hair or skin? Here are simple ways to stay naturally glowing all summer long.
Read More »
- 10 Must-Haves for Healthy Vegan Travel
- 5 Easy Steps to an Awesome Vegan Campout
- Celebrate Spring with a Vegan Twist
- Colleen Holland: My Top 10 Favorite Vegan Beauty Brands
- The Vegan Guide to Chinese New Year
- DIY Holiday Decorating
- The Ultimate Green Gift Guide
- 3 Steps to Smoothie Success
- The Problem with Palm Oil
- The Problem with Palm Oil, Part II
- Earth Day Interview with NASCARs Vegan Leilani Münter
- 10 Easy Swaps for an Eco-Friendly Home
- 13 Instagram Accounts We Cant Get Enough Of
- 7 Spectacular Ways to Make a Difference for Animals
- 5 Ways Being Vegan Saves The Planet
- How to Buy Green Bouquets
- Ethical Valentine Gifts for Your Compassionate Sweetheart
- Holiday Tree Solutions
- Double Your Gift With One-For-One Programs
- Veg-Friendly Charities to Help This Season