7 Ways to Have an Eco-Friendly Summer
Green your life from the inside out with these tried-and-true ideas from VN lifestyle expert Joshua Katcher.
It seems like a no-brainer to go green this summer, but where do you start? These seven easy tips will help detox your life, so when the thermometer hits 80, you’ll already be cooler than a cucumber. Whether you start by eating locally, trading your gossip rags for smart reads, or taking your sustainable skateboard instead of the SUV, you’ll be healthier, happier, and greener in no time—without compromising style, flavor, or fun.
1. From store-bought to storefronts, vegan ice cream is becoming more and more common. If you don’t have a place like Lula’s Sweet Apothecary in New York City, it’s really easy to make homemade vegan ice creams with cookbooks, including the classic Vice Cream: Gourmet Vegan Desserts by Jeff Rogers. Once you’ve mastered the basics—chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry—branch out into adventurous flavors and pump up the dairy-free volume with a backyard ice cream bar.
2. If too much ice cream and too many veggie dogs are making your summer days feel lethargic, dive into a refreshing, healthy cleanse. If you’re not ready to forego your favorite solid foods, keep your temperature cool by eating or juicing lots of organic cukes.
3. Revamping your wardrobe with vegan summer fashions ensures that you’ll look your best from the Fourth of July until Labor Day. Branch out with bold colors, and non-leather plimsolls certainly fit the bill. Stay stylish with this season’s take on gladiator sandals: a versatile, high-ankle style with a summer feel by Wanted Shoes.
4. Don’t take “getaway” so literally! Take a trip within 100 miles and earn bonus points for riding a bus or a train to get there. If you want to get some sun during your summer staycation, make sure to use healthly, eco-friendly products to shield skin. Avoid toxic oxybenzone and protect tattoos with cruelty-free, eco-friendly sun block. Maybe you’ve racked up a hefty amount of vacation days and just need a transcontinental adventure—just remember to choose a green getaway.
5. Need a craft project? How about building your own eco-friendly surfboard from Greenlight Surf Supply? With recyclable foam and bamboo parts, you can hit the beach without hurting the ocean.
6. Commit to getting your produce from the farmers’ market, and talk to the farmers! Organic, local fruits and veggies are the greenest foods you can eat. Ready to grow your own organic greens? Sunny summer is the perfect season to start planting an organic veggie garden. Wild lawns can be beautiful, and homegrown food can feed your body and your budget. For more homegrown how-to tips, check out the urban gardening feature in VN’s July +August Anniversary issue.
7. Now that we know meat is the numero uno cause of global warming, cool things down with a veggie barbecue party! Be it the backyard or the sidewalk, the perfect spot to indulge in this hot-weather tradition is right under your nose. Try marinated portabellos, eggplant, Field Roast sausage, and good old-fashioned veggie burgers.
7 (Free!) Ways to Reduce and Reuse
These tips and tricks will help you reduce your waste while saving the planetand some money.
Read More »
5 Easy Ways to Make Your Home More Eco-Friendly
From city studios to country bungalows, green your abode with these practical and stylish eco-friendly tips.
Read More »
9 Tips for Natural Allergy Relief
Toss out your antihistamine pills and battle seasonal allergy-induced sneezing with natural products.
Read More »
Leather: What's Wrong With It?
In addition to leathers unethical side, its environmental effects are less-than stylish.
Read More »
5 Ways Being Vegan Saves The Planet
Want to do something for Mother Earth? Ditch the meat and find out how your diet affects the environment.
Read More »
- Tips for Buying Eco-Friendly Flowers
- 10 Easy Swaps for an Eco-Friendly Home
- Chicken Factory Farms Cause Pollution Nightmare for NC
- Study Finds Fur Potentially Toxic to Children
- Study: Grass-fed Beef is Destroying the Environment
- Home Depot to Phase Out Bee-Killing Insecticide
- James Cameron Urges Environmentalists to Go Vegan
- Outside Magazine: Vegans Will Own the Podium
- Alicia Silverstone Speaks Out on Climate Change
- FDA Approves First GMO Animal
- Government Sued For Letting Nestlé Bottle Water During Drought
- 9 Things We Didn't Know About Animals
- US Government Tackles Nations Food Waste
- Cow-Free Milk Wins First Place Sustainability Award
- 70 Percent of Honey Found to Contain Pesticides
- New Study: A Vegan World is a Better World
- 5 Quotes from the Man Who Helped Overturn Idaho's Ag-Gag Law
- 13 DIY Projects to Celebrate Earth Day
- DIY Vegan Holiday Gifts
- DIY Hair & Skin Care