Throw a Vegan Baby Shower Bash in 4 Easy Steps
Throw the perfect baby shower bash with the help of VNs must-read guide.
For some, the idea of a baby shower may call up the sweet sound of a baby’s coo and visions of daffodils. For others, the sheer mention of the two words together might trigger PTSD-like symptoms, haunted by towering diaper cakes and chocolate melted to look like baby doo-doo. Either way, chances are if you’re veg, you might need a little help planning a beautiful, non-lame baby shower. So tell the mom-to-be to relax, VegNews has the planning done.
Like all parties, baby showers can be thrown with any theme you like. Stay away from decorations that will head straight to the dumpster after the party, such as balloons, paper plates, and crepe paper streamers. Instead, try embellishing with natural elements, such as organic flowers, or stack fruit from your local farmers’ market in vases. For a little something to spread on the table, vegan jellybeans are a sweet alternative to confetti. Once the party-planning wheels are turning, send out the invites—three weeks in advance to leave guests plenty of time to RSVP. For a unique take on the recycled paper invitation, try seed cards, like these from Bloomin’—the guests can plant the card after its arrival and watch it blossom.
What’s on the menu for your shower is nearly as important as Mom herself. If you’re aiming for elegance, try hosting an afternoon tea. Cucumber finger sandwiches are an easy and refreshing way to provide some lightness to a meal. If you’re looking for something a little more substantial, try the white bean bruschetta or California sushi rolls. Orange sugar cookies, pear and fig tarts or vanilla cupcakes with chocolate glaze are all sure to satisfy maternity cravings, and those of your guests as well.
There are plenty of fun baby shower pastimes to entertain your guests. Rather than signing a guest book, have an organic cotton onesie, like this one from Sweet Spud, for guests to sign with puff paint. Or have a onesie for each guest to personalize for Mom and baby. For more good wishes for the baby, use a larger flower or plant as a “wishing tree.” Supply guests with small, recycled paper leaves on which they can write wishes for the baby and safety pin to the plant.
For a mom-to-be, it can be a lifesaver to be showered with baby gifts to help her through the first few months of life with the little one. Luckily there are plenty of vegan and organic products out there for vegan babies. What’s cuter than vegan baby shoes? Or spring for organic baby clothes, such as this bunch that comes wrapped like flowers. To cut back on waste from wrapping paper, wrap your presents in baby blankets. For goodie bags, try vegan lip balm that you can personalize to commemorate the date of the shower.
5 Vegan Summer Date Ideas
Summer lovin' happens so fast, especially when you're taking your date on vegan adventures.
Read More »
7 Glittery, Fabulous, Thrilling, Uncompromising, Inclusive, Vegan Ways I Plan on Celebrating Gay Pride Month
As a seasoned vegan lesbian but a brand new Angeleno, this year, I'm going all-in.
Read More »
The Ultimate Vegan Road Trip PART ONE
The first in our two part-series begins in the Northeast and ends in Sweet Home Chicago.
Read More »
Sizzling Vegan Summer Beauty Brands and Tips
Its too hot to contour, and who has time to paint a painstaking smoky eye when there are veggie burgers to grill and rosé to drink?
Read More »
9 Simple Steps to Making a Vegan Man Cave for Father's Day
This Father's Day, gift Dad with a perfect vegan addition to his sanctuary.
Read More »
- 8 Easy Ways to Have a Relaxing Father's Day
- 28 Vegan Father's Day Gift Ideas for Every Kind of Dad
- 6 Tips for Losing Weight on a Vegan Diet
- 5 Ideas for a Great Vegan Spring Wedding
- 5 Zero-Waste Tips for Vegans
- 40 Things I Desperately Want to Eat at Los Angeles' Hottest Vegan Festival
- How to Throw the Ultimate Graduation Vegan Barbecue
- 5 Ways to Celebrate a Vegan Mother's Day with Your Mom
- 7 Pampering Vegan Products That Say I Love You, Mom
- Wicked Kitchen Chef Dishes on the Future of Vegan Food
- Why Going Vegan Can Help You Relax
- 3 Vegan Prom Makeup Looks
- The Ex-Airline Pilot Behind New York's Favorite Vegan Burger
- 10 Vegan Oatmeal Cups for the Person on the Go
- 8 Vegan Etsy Stickers That Your Car, Laptop, and Water Bottle Need, Like, Yesterday
- This 10-Minute Documentary Is Showing How Children Are Embracing Veganism
- It's Time for Men to Get Over Their Fears of Being Vegan
- We're Giving 5 Classic Films a Vegan Makeover
- VegFest Puerto Rico Built Community and Mainstreamed Veganism
- 8 Vegan Foods Making the 2018 Food-Trend List