Throw a Vegan Baby Shower Bash in 4 Easy Steps
Throw the perfect baby shower bash with the help of VNs must-read guide.
For some, the idea of a baby shower may call up the sweet sound of a baby’s coo and visions of daffodils. For others, the sheer mention of the two words together might trigger PTSD-like symptoms, haunted by towering diaper cakes and chocolate melted to look like baby doo-doo. Either way, chances are if you’re veg, you might need a little help planning a beautiful, non-lame baby shower. So tell the mom-to-be to relax, VegNews has the planning done.
Like all parties, baby showers can be thrown with any theme you like. Stay away from decorations that will head straight to the dumpster after the party, such as balloons, paper plates, and crepe paper streamers. Instead, try embellishing with natural elements, such as organic flowers, or stack fruit from your local farmers’ market in vases. For a little something to spread on the table, vegan jellybeans are a sweet alternative to confetti. Once the party-planning wheels are turning, send out the invites—three weeks in advance to leave guests plenty of time to RSVP. For a unique take on the recycled paper invitation, try seed cards, like these from Bloomin’—the guests can plant the card after its arrival and watch it blossom.
What’s on the menu for your shower is nearly as important as Mom herself. If you’re aiming for elegance, try hosting an afternoon tea. Cucumber finger sandwiches are an easy and refreshing way to provide some lightness to a meal. If you’re looking for something a little more substantial, try the white bean bruschetta or California sushi rolls. Orange sugar cookies, pear and fig tarts or vanilla cupcakes with chocolate glaze are all sure to satisfy maternity cravings, and those of your guests as well.
There are plenty of fun baby shower pastimes to entertain your guests. Rather than signing a guest book, have an organic cotton onesie, like this one from Sweet Spud, for guests to sign with puff paint. Or have a onesie for each guest to personalize for Mom and baby. For more good wishes for the baby, use a larger flower or plant as a “wishing tree.” Supply guests with small, recycled paper leaves on which they can write wishes for the baby and safety pin to the plant.
For a mom-to-be, it can be a lifesaver to be showered with baby gifts to help her through the first few months of life with the little one. Luckily there are plenty of vegan and organic products out there for vegan babies. What’s cuter than vegan baby shoes? Or spring for organic baby clothes, such as this bunch that comes wrapped like flowers. To cut back on waste from wrapping paper, wrap your presents in baby blankets. For goodie bags, try vegan lip balm that you can personalize to commemorate the date of the shower.
5 Reasons to Reconsider Your Local Animal Shelter
Similar to their lovable four-legged residents, many shelters just need a second chance.
Read More »
10 Questions with Former WWE Wrestler Austin Aries
What does a 200-pound vegan wrestler eat to maintain his size and strength? Plant-based food, of course!
Read More »
6 Tips for Vegan Cosplay and Costumers
Save the world, one plant-based costume at a time.
Read More »
The Busy Life of Esther the Wonder Pig
VegNews sits down with Esther's dads to chat about favorite snacks, vegan cruises, and take an exclusive first look at her upcoming children's book.
Read More »
5 Connections Between the Food and Fashion Industries
Fair-trade fashion and the plant-based movement tackle similar challenges to create a more ethical world.
Read More »
- 14 Ways to Eat Vegan Smores
- 4 Ways to Talk to Young People About Going Vegan
- 8 Animal Sanctuaries on My Bucket List
- Vegan Weddings 2017 (Alana Cowl & Daniel Ferens)
- 5 Vegan Summer Date Ideas
- 4 Ways to Celebrate National Ice Cream Sandwich Day—Vegan Style!
- 7 Ways Going Vegan Helps a Middle-Aged Man
- VegNews Launches 16th Annual Veggie Awards
- 5 Things I Learned Working as a Vegan Camp Counselor for Teenagers
- Vegan Weddings 2017 (Lindsay Jones & Daniel Cano)
- 6 Vegan Lip Glosses Perfect for Summer
- The Ultimate Guide to Vegan Camping
- Vegan Weddings 2017 (Monica Pandian & Praveen Raj)
- 5 Ways Roosters Help Me Stay Sober
- 7 Facebook Groups You Need to Join if You're a New Vegan
- 9 Questions with Vegan Pro Wrestler Zack Sabre, Jr
- 7 Steps to Getting Over Vegan Heartbreak
- Vegan Weddings 2017 (Emily Brobeck & Pierre Wooldridge)
- A Vegan Guide to Eugene, Oregon
- Q&A with Celebrity Chef Matthew Kenney