Animal-Free Vegan Winter Fashion
Stay stylish and warm in snow, sleet, and sub-zero temperatures with these cruelty-free finds.
This time of year, when most of the country is blanketed in snow and even walking around the house requires a scarf and parka, you might feel that you need to sacrifice fashion for warmth. Thanks to slews of designers and retailers offering cruelty-free threads, you can find clothes that are cozy, chic, and (most importantly!) animal-friendly. With all of the wonderful alternatives to winter staples like wool, cashmere, and leather, you can be warm, comfortable, and au courant throughout the winter months in these stylish picks.
Out of the Arctic Outerwear
Goose down jackets and wool coats don’t hold a candle to this year’s haul of vegan-friendly outerwear. Patagonia uses organic cotton and recycled polyester in many of their men’s jackets—for a more classic look, try Vaute Couture’s handsome black pea coat. Ladies have myriad options when it comes to overcoats—Madewell’s 100-percent cotton, military-inspired parka is perfect for the everyday, while Kate Spade’s houndstooth cotton coat is a lovely choice for evening. Need something lighter? Anthropologie’s blazer is great for the office and when paired with skinny jeans for a night out.
Not Your Grandma’s Homemade Sweater
Sweaters are a cold-weather staple but can be a challenge when avoiding cashmere. Fortunately, we’ve found a laundry hamper full of cruelty-free options. For men, J. Crew makes the classic sailor stripe sweater in thick, warm cotton, and B:Scott has a button-down sweater that will make an understated statement in any situation. Ladies won’t sacrifice style or warmth in Gap’s biker-chic cardigan. Don’t worry if you’re jealous of the men’s J. Crew sweater—they have one for ladies too.
Scarves, hats, and gloves look good all year—but they’re downright essential in winter. Thick cable-knit and reversible patterned scarves for men and a grey cable-knit beanie and cap with an oversized pompom for ladies are just the tip of the iceberg at ASOS. Urban Outfitters makes it easy for vegan guys to keep their noggins toasty—a marled knit cap with earflaps is just one of many options. Women can wrap up in Shock Boutique’s pocket-adorned scarf or in this fine-knit silver snood from Topshop. Cold hands will stay warm (and look great) in faux fur-trimmed mittens or rust-colored palm warmers, both from Topshop. For the guys, REI makes fleece convertible gloves that can turn into mittens in a snap—perfect for texting during a chilly commute.
Warm and Fuzzy Feet
Vegans can keep their feet warm this season (without five extra pairs of socks!) with numerous animal-free options. Men’s toes will stay toasty while running errands in faux shearling-lined lace-up boots from Loomstate or in high tops from Keep. No need to wear leather kicks for business meetings and evenings out—Italian vegan shoe designer Noah makes many beautiful dress shoes for men and impossibly chic riding boots for women. Speaking of vegan shoes, Olsen Haus’ faux-suede heels and Wanted’s faux-leather biker boots are stylish picks for ladies.
These dashing options will keep you toasty and warm until spring arrives. Here’s to fireside cups of hot cocoa, sledding, and vegan snow angels!
10 Reasons New Vegan Documentary The Game Changers Will Literally Change Every Game
One part What the Health and 10 parts of the most inspiring fitness routine you've ever seen, this new film—executively produced by James Cameron—will have you sweating in your seat.
Read More »
25 Accidentally Vegan Snacks You Can Find at Virtually Any Convenience Store
Forget the quinoa, and pass the Sour Patch Kids.
Read More »
14 Ways to Step Up Your Vegan Popcorn Game
Whether you prefer savory or sweet, weve got something for everyone on this list of snack-worthy recipes to celebrate National Popcorn Day.
Read More »
In 2018, Being Vegan Also Means Being a Recycler
Recycling saves the planet (and its inhabitants) and is great for tight budgets.
Read More »
Well, That Was Quick. 7 Ways Were Breaking Our 2018 Resolutions with the New Vegan Ben & Jerrys Flavors
The debut of the new flavors from this iconic ice cream brand have us dreaming of all the ways we plan on eating them.
Read More »
- How a Vegan Celebrity Chef Became One of Biggest Influencers in Atlanta
- 4 Vegan Athletes Who Think You Need to Join the #PlantMilkChallenge
- From 6 Months to Live to a New Lease On Life: Veganism Saved Her Life
- If Your Baby Could Talk, They Would Tell You They Really Want Vegan Diaper Ointments
- If Going Vegan is Your Resolution This Year, Read This
- 2018 is the Year of the Vegan Wine and Cheese Pairings
- How a Vegan Restaurateur Balances Work and a Hunter Husband
- You Are Only 6 Steps Away from Your Best Vegan Year Ever
- Everything You Need to Know About Milk Substitutes
- Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams' Enforced Policy Literally Saved His Life
- Frick 2017! Heres What VegNews Editors Plan to Do in 2018 …
- Want to Lower Your Blood Pressure? Go Vegan!
- Are Your Sweeteners as Vegan and Ethical as You Are?
- Is So-Called Clean Meat Vegan? Paul Shapiro Has the Answer
- The VegNews Vegan Starter Kit
- The 12 Best Vegan Desserts of All Time at Trader Joes
- Winter Doesnt Stand a Chance Thanks to These 5 Vegan Skin Products
- Why Jackie Day Should Be Your New Vegan BFF
- 9 Vegan Startups You Need to Know About in 2018
- 2018 is the Year Your Skin Goes Vegan, Too