Instant Mood Boosters
When you're feeling down, these 10 tips will help cure bad moods and low spirits in an instant.
With stressful jobs, a million things on your to-do list, and the constant reality of living vegan in a non-vegan world, it’s only natural to get down in the dumps occasionally. Fortunately, these 10 tips are surefire ways to pull yourself out of any rut in no time.
1. Write it down. It has long been touted that putting inner thoughts on paper can have an immediate effect of release and relief. A bad day at work nagging you? Write about it. Annoyed with your partner? Pen a letter. The simple act of taking your thoughts out of your own head and onto another medium will give you feelings of resolution.
2. Tune out. Studies show that music releases feel-good chemicals in your brain. Next time you’re feeling down, take a five-minute break to listen to your favorite song and blast the blues away.
3. Move your bod. Exercise, whether it’s hard-core strength training or a simple stroll, releases endorphins, otherwise known as happiness chemicals. When your mood drops, take a brisk walk. You’ll feel better than before.
4. Hang with Fido. Simply petting a dog or cat has been shown to lower blood pressure and calm nerves. If a stressful day has you frazzled, give your pup some special attention—it will make both of you happy. Not a companion-animal guardian? Try volunteering at your local shelter or simply pet the next pooch you see.
5. Make plans. Having something to look forward to can raise spirits. Call a friend you need to catch up with and invite her to dinner. You’ll get the added benefit of spending time with someone you like—another way to feel better fast.
6. Take a breather. Used for centuries as a relaxation technique, meditation has been shown to ward off depressive thoughts and anxiety. Try taking in slow, deep breaths for five minutes and see where it takes you.
7. Laugh. Laugher releases endorphins, improving your mood instantly. When you’re feeling blue, go talk to that funny co-worker, watch your favorite comedy, or check out websites like Funny or Die, filled with short videos sure to release some giggles and guffaws.
8. Engage your senses. Most of the time, we use some senses (like sight and hearing) more than others. To give yourself a break, grab a lemon. Researchers found that linalool, a chemical found in lemons, may reduce stress responses in the brain. Sniff lavender and mint to get similar benefits.
9. Get organized. Cluttered desks and drawers can distract you, making you less productive and fouling your mood. Organizing your environment will clear your head as well as your workspace. You don’t have to clean out your closet to get these effects, however—simply organizing a drawer will boost your productivity and spirits.
10. Go outside. Sunshine is a proven mood lifter, and helps to increase serotonin, an important mood-boosting chemical that also assists in sleep. In addition, sunlight provides the vitamin D necessary for the body’s absorption of calcium. Take a 10 to 20 minute walk on a sunny day to max out the sun’s benefits.
Top 3 Vegan Parenting Myths, Busted
Set the record straight with these answers to three of vegan parentings most common questions.
Read More »
A Vegan Moms Guide to the Kid Party Circuit
Whether youre hosting or attending, keeping your and your childrens vegan diet in check is easy with these six simple steps.
Read More »
The VegNews Bloggy Awards
From recipes and travel to product reviews and lifestyle advice, if its vegan, these 21 blogs have it covered.
Read More »
5 Ways a Vegan Diet Can Help with Pregnancy
Ditching bad habits and saying hello to a healthy lifestyle can increase a couples odds of having a baby.
Read More »
9 Vegan Foods to Beat the California Heat
From avocado smoothies in Palm Springs to ice cream sandwiches in Berkeley, these eight vegan foods are helping the Golden State stay cool this summer.
Read More »
- 5 Vegan Summer Date Ideas
- 6 Things You Didnt Know About Veganic Farming
- 10 Best Shops For Vegan Ice Cream
- How the Culinary Institute of America Trained Me to be a Vegan Chef
- Amys Drive Thru Celebrates First Anniversary
- VegNews Vegan Cruise Giveaway
- 5 Delectable (and Easy!) Gourmet Vegan Popsicles
- 9 Essentials for the Ultimate Fourth of July
- 10 Fourth of July Vegan Finds on Etsy
- How to Pack the Perfect Vegan Beach Bag
- The 10 Best Viral Vegan Videos
- LGBTQ Vegans Speak Out on Orlando Shooting
- 7 Almost-Vegan Celebrities Were Rooting For
- A Vegan Fathers Day Letter to an Omnivore Dad
- 5 Vegan Coffee Creamers to Spruce Up Your Morning Latte
- How to Host a Summery Vegan Cocktail Party on the Cheap
- Subscriber Appreciation Month: VegNews' Office Tours!
- How Loving Animals Can Benefit Your Health
- 10 Great Vegan Graduation Gifts
- 3 Vegan Myths Debunked