Instant Mood Boosters
When you're feeling down, these 10 tips will help cure bad moods and low spirits in an instant.
With stressful jobs, a million things on your to-do list, and the constant reality of living vegan in a non-vegan world, it’s only natural to get down in the dumps occasionally. Fortunately, these 10 tips are surefire ways to pull yourself out of any rut in no time.
1. Write it down. It has long been touted that putting inner thoughts on paper can have an immediate effect of release and relief. A bad day at work nagging you? Write about it. Annoyed with your partner? Pen a letter. The simple act of taking your thoughts out of your own head and onto another medium will give you feelings of resolution.
2. Tune out. Studies show that music releases feel-good chemicals in your brain. Next time you’re feeling down, take a five-minute break to listen to your favorite song and blast the blues away.
3. Move your bod. Exercise, whether it’s hard-core strength training or a simple stroll, releases endorphins, otherwise known as happiness chemicals. When your mood drops, take a brisk walk. You’ll feel better than before.
4. Hang with Fido. Simply petting a dog or cat has been shown to lower blood pressure and calm nerves. If a stressful day has you frazzled, give your pup some special attention—it will make both of you happy. Not a companion-animal guardian? Try volunteering at your local shelter or simply pet the next pooch you see.
5. Make plans. Having something to look forward to can raise spirits. Call a friend you need to catch up with and invite her to dinner. You’ll get the added benefit of spending time with someone you like—another way to feel better fast.
6. Take a breather. Used for centuries as a relaxation technique, meditation has been shown to ward off depressive thoughts and anxiety. Try taking in slow, deep breaths for five minutes and see where it takes you.
7. Laugh. Laugher releases endorphins, improving your mood instantly. When you’re feeling blue, go talk to that funny co-worker, watch your favorite comedy, or check out websites like Funny or Die, filled with short videos sure to release some giggles and guffaws.
8. Engage your senses. Most of the time, we use some senses (like sight and hearing) more than others. To give yourself a break, grab a lemon. Researchers found that linalool, a chemical found in lemons, may reduce stress responses in the brain. Sniff lavender and mint to get similar benefits.
9. Get organized. Cluttered desks and drawers can distract you, making you less productive and fouling your mood. Organizing your environment will clear your head as well as your workspace. You don’t have to clean out your closet to get these effects, however—simply organizing a drawer will boost your productivity and spirits.
10. Go outside. Sunshine is a proven mood lifter, and helps to increase serotonin, an important mood-boosting chemical that also assists in sleep. In addition, sunlight provides the vitamin D necessary for the body’s absorption of calcium. Take a 10 to 20 minute walk on a sunny day to max out the sun’s benefits.
NYCs Most Successful Vegan Restaurateur Shares Her Secrets
As the Blossom empire continues to expand, founder Pamela Elizabeth talks celebrity guests, tips for running a vegan business, and lessons she's learned along the way.
Read More »
9 Must-Visit Booths at NYC Vegetarian Food Festival
Books, guest speakers, and—oh yeah, food—take over New York City.
Read More »
5 Vegan Gifts to Give a Grad
Giving a vegan gift is a great way to congratulate a graduate.
Read More »
5 Vegan YouTube Channels to Binge-Watch
Sit back, relax, and spend an entire day with your favorite vegan YouTube stars.
Read More »
5 Ways to Celebrate a Vegan Mothers Day with Your Mom
Show your mom you love her with vegan food, gifts, and fun.
Read More »
- 8 Questions with Veggie Grill Co-Founder T.K. Pillan
- 12 Vegan Unicorn-Themed Things You Need Immediately
- A Sneak Preview of Plant-Based by Nafsikas Second Season
- 5 Vegan Things We Want Delivered by Drone
- 5 Spring Resources for Vegan Athletes
- 9 New Medical Reasons to Never Eat Meat
- 7 Instagram Accounts by Vegan POC You Should Be Following
- 7 Ways School Garden Projects Can Save the World
- 7 Vegan Things My Cats Should Buy Me for National Pet Parents Day
- 5 Reasons to Vote Me as PETAs Sexiest Vegan Next Door
- Brooklyn Chef Veganizes Popular Momofuku Milk Bar
- 7 Vegan Ways to Spend Your Tax Refund
- How to Become an Ageless Boomer
- Mistress Gingers 4 Ways to Be a Sneaky Vegan
- 5 Ways Going Vegan Helped Me Become a Minimalist
- 5 Stories by Vegan Doctors to Celebrate National Doctors' Day
- 5 Ideas for a Great Vegan Spring Wedding
- 5 Hot Vegan Shoes for Spring
- 3 Reasons to Eat Your Fruit and Vegetables
- My Sneaky Plan to Convince a 17-Year-Old to Go Vegan