Instant Mood Boosters
When you're feeling down, these 10 tips will help cure bad moods and low spirits in an instant.
With stressful jobs, a million things on your to-do list, and the constant reality of living vegan in a non-vegan world, it’s only natural to get down in the dumps occasionally. Fortunately, these 10 tips are surefire ways to pull yourself out of any rut in no time.
1. Write it down. It has long been touted that putting inner thoughts on paper can have an immediate effect of release and relief. A bad day at work nagging you? Write about it. Annoyed with your partner? Pen a letter. The simple act of taking your thoughts out of your own head and onto another medium will give you feelings of resolution.
2. Tune out. Studies show that music releases feel-good chemicals in your brain. Next time you’re feeling down, take a five-minute break to listen to your favorite song and blast the blues away.
3. Move your bod. Exercise, whether it’s hard-core strength training or a simple stroll, releases endorphins, otherwise known as happiness chemicals. When your mood drops, take a brisk walk. You’ll feel better than before.
4. Hang with Fido. Simply petting a dog or cat has been shown to lower blood pressure and calm nerves. If a stressful day has you frazzled, give your pup some special attention—it will make both of you happy. Not a companion-animal guardian? Try volunteering at your local shelter or simply pet the next pooch you see.
5. Make plans. Having something to look forward to can raise spirits. Call a friend you need to catch up with and invite her to dinner. You’ll get the added benefit of spending time with someone you like—another way to feel better fast.
6. Take a breather. Used for centuries as a relaxation technique, meditation has been shown to ward off depressive thoughts and anxiety. Try taking in slow, deep breaths for five minutes and see where it takes you.
7. Laugh. Laugher releases endorphins, improving your mood instantly. When you’re feeling blue, go talk to that funny co-worker, watch your favorite comedy, or check out websites like Funny or Die, filled with short videos sure to release some giggles and guffaws.
8. Engage your senses. Most of the time, we use some senses (like sight and hearing) more than others. To give yourself a break, grab a lemon. Researchers found that linalool, a chemical found in lemons, may reduce stress responses in the brain. Sniff lavender and mint to get similar benefits.
9. Get organized. Cluttered desks and drawers can distract you, making you less productive and fouling your mood. Organizing your environment will clear your head as well as your workspace. You don’t have to clean out your closet to get these effects, however—simply organizing a drawer will boost your productivity and spirits.
10. Go outside. Sunshine is a proven mood lifter, and helps to increase serotonin, an important mood-boosting chemical that also assists in sleep. In addition, sunlight provides the vitamin D necessary for the body’s absorption of calcium. Take a 10 to 20 minute walk on a sunny day to max out the sun’s benefits.
LGBTQ Vegans Speak Out on Orlando Shooting
VegNews talks to queer vegans for their responses to the deadliest mass shooting in US history.
Read More »
7 Almost-Vegan Celebrities Were Rooting For
Mostly vegan is good, but fully vegan is better.
Read More »
A Vegan Fathers Day Letter to an Omnivore Dad
Want to give your father a great gift on his special holiday? Tell him why he should go vegan.
Read More »
5 Vegan Coffee Creamers to Spruce Up Your Morning Latte
Being vegan doesnt mean you cant have a great cup of coffee.
Read More »
How to Host a Summery Vegan Cocktail Party on the Cheap
Don't let limited funds get in the way of your urge to throw a swanky soirée—just think thrifty with these tips.
Read More »
- Subscriber Appreciation Month: VegNews' Office Tours!
- How Loving Animals Can Benefit Your Health
- 10 Great Vegan Graduation Gifts
- 3 Vegan Myths Debunked
- Four Tips for Grocery Shopping on a Budget
- 7 Unexpected Phrases Rooted In Animal-Cruelty
- 6 Ways to Recharge this Weekend
- A Vegan Mothers Day Your Mom Will Love
- The Ultimate Vegan Spring Picnic
- New Website Founded to Connect Black Vegan Community
- How to Create Healthy Habits
- 5 Vegan-Friendly Apps to Make Your Life Easier
- 5 Must-Have Vegan Starbucks Snacks (+ Drink Pairings!)
- 9 Ways to Get a Vegan Education
- The VegNews Guide to Vegan Girl Scout Cookies
- 5 Things We Learned from the World's First Vegan Makeup School
- 6 Tips for Losing Weight on a Vegan Diet
- The Unlikely Health Benefits of Coffee
- VegNews Celebrates Black History Month
- Vegan Mount Rushmore