Instant Mood Boosters
When you're feeling down, these 10 tips will help cure bad moods and low spirits in an instant.
With stressful jobs, a million things on your to-do list, and the constant reality of living vegan in a non-vegan world, it’s only natural to get down in the dumps occasionally. Fortunately, these 10 tips are surefire ways to pull yourself out of any rut in no time.
1. Write it down. It has long been touted that putting inner thoughts on paper can have an immediate effect of release and relief. A bad day at work nagging you? Write about it. Annoyed with your partner? Pen a letter. The simple act of taking your thoughts out of your own head and onto another medium will give you feelings of resolution.
2. Tune out. Studies show that music releases feel-good chemicals in your brain. Next time you’re feeling down, take a five-minute break to listen to your favorite song and blast the blues away.
3. Move your bod. Exercise, whether it’s hard-core strength training or a simple stroll, releases endorphins, otherwise known as happiness chemicals. When your mood drops, take a brisk walk. You’ll feel better than before.
4. Hang with Fido. Simply petting a dog or cat has been shown to lower blood pressure and calm nerves. If a stressful day has you frazzled, give your pup some special attention—it will make both of you happy. Not a companion-animal guardian? Try volunteering at your local shelter or simply pet the next pooch you see.
5. Make plans. Having something to look forward to can raise spirits. Call a friend you need to catch up with and invite her to dinner. You’ll get the added benefit of spending time with someone you like—another way to feel better fast.
6. Take a breather. Used for centuries as a relaxation technique, meditation has been shown to ward off depressive thoughts and anxiety. Try taking in slow, deep breaths for five minutes and see where it takes you.
7. Laugh. Laugher releases endorphins, improving your mood instantly. When you’re feeling blue, go talk to that funny co-worker, watch your favorite comedy, or check out websites like Funny or Die, filled with short videos sure to release some giggles and guffaws.
8. Engage your senses. Most of the time, we use some senses (like sight and hearing) more than others. To give yourself a break, grab a lemon. Researchers found that linalool, a chemical found in lemons, may reduce stress responses in the brain. Sniff lavender and mint to get similar benefits.
9. Get organized. Cluttered desks and drawers can distract you, making you less productive and fouling your mood. Organizing your environment will clear your head as well as your workspace. You don’t have to clean out your closet to get these effects, however—simply organizing a drawer will boost your productivity and spirits.
10. Go outside. Sunshine is a proven mood lifter, and helps to increase serotonin, an important mood-boosting chemical that also assists in sleep. In addition, sunlight provides the vitamin D necessary for the body’s absorption of calcium. Take a 10 to 20 minute walk on a sunny day to max out the sun’s benefits.
13 Adorable, Adoptable Feline Friends
These fine felines will, purr, climb, and pounce their way into your heart this Adopt a Cat Month
Read More »
Colleen Holland: How I Became a Healthy Vegan
Seduced by the amazing array of vegan junk food available today, VegNews co-founder Colleen Holland shares her personal transformation to becoming a healthy vegan.
Read More »
A Vegan Fathers Day Letter to an Omnivore Dad
Want to give your father a great gift on his special holiday? Tell him why he should go vegan.
Read More »
VegNews Music Week: Converges Jacob Bannon's Ethical Arsenal
The hardcore vocalist shares whats spinning on his record player, his current creative projects, and the connection between vegetarianism and punk rock.
Read More »
VegNews Music Week: Eating Vegan On the Road with Black Flags Greg Ginn
We check in with Ginn on the Black Flag reunion tour to see what fuels this plant-powered punk legend.
Read More »
- VegNews Music Week: Mobys Punk Roots and Compassionate Activism
- VegNews Music Week: Justin Bua Raps About the Ethics of Hip-Hop and Veganism
- VegNews Music Week: The History of Pop Music and Vegetarianism
- 5 Amazing Vegan Subscription Boxes
- The #1 Way to Make Sure You Eat Your Greens First
- Surprising Vegan Finds at Mainstream Grocery Stores with The Laziest Vegans
- 5 Tips for Choosing the Right Acupuncturist
- The 5 Best Moms of All Time
- 50 Years Young: The Enduring Vitality of Vegans
- Sarno Brothers Secret to Getting Wicked Healthy
- 5 Reasons Im Glad to Be Vegan
- Earth Day Interview with NASCARs Vegan Leilani Münter
- 72 Hours With The Big Bang Theorys Mayim Bialik
- Exclusive Interview: Kim & Kanye Go Vegan for Baby
- Exclusive VegNews Issue Preview
- 13 Adoptable Pups for National Puppy Day
- 5 Tips for Making Your Career Dreams Come True
- Colleen Hollands 15 Most-Anticipated Vegan Cookbooks of 2013
- 72 Hours with the Goo Goo Dolls Mike Malinin
- Chloe's Desserts Sneak Peek: 3 Exclusive Recipes from Chloe Coscarelli's New Cookbook