Vegan Weddings 2011 (Crystal Burnett & Chris Tate)
Meet Crystal and Chris, one of 2011's 10 fabulous wedding couples.
Crystal Burnett & Chris Tate
Guests: 50 (wedding), 100 (reception)
Date: November 9, 2010
Their story: Crystal and Chris were only 13 when they met in the Corpus Christi punk scene. Their relationship grew over the years as they collaborated on music and later moved in together, still as friends, in Austin, Texas. Things heated up a few months after becoming roommates, and Crystal quickly transitioned to veganism out of consideration for Chris. Crystal’s new passion for veganism led her straight to the kitchen where her vegan queso and the couple’s business, Food for Lovers, was born. While pouring their resources into their business, there wasn’t much room left for fancy dates, but this creative couple made the most of their eclectic city. The proposal didn’t go exactly as Chris had planned when they arrived at Town Lake for an afternoon of sipping wine in a rented boat. Once he realized the boats weren’t available, Chris rushed Crystal along the shore toward one of the many bridges lining the water, stopping when they heard a violinist playing “Something,” one of their favorite Beatles’ songs. Chris knelt beside her, asked for her hand in marriage, and once she had said yes, brought her closer to the shore. Finally, the hidden violinist was revealed and under the bridge hung a sign that read, “Crystal, will you marry me?” Although the day veered from Chris’ plan, it ended perfectly!
Housemade chips with trio of salsas
Mexican wedding cookies
Chocolate tres leches cake with fresh strawberry filling, topped with whipped chocolate frosting
Meet all of our 2011 Vegan Wedding couples:
Elizabeth Cook & Alap Shah (Itasca, Ill.)
Joselle Palacios & Brian Kantorek (Philadelphia, Pa.)
Stephanie Karpel & Stephen Wright (Mendocino, Calif.)
Kim Karpel & Ben Milner (Newport Beach, Calif.)
Petrina Katsikas & Kevin Butler (Willow, NY)
Astrum Lux Lucis & Alicia Ojeda (Austin, Texas)
Erin Williams & Andrew Page (Hawaii, Big Island)
Crystal Burnett & Chris Tate (Austin, Texas)
Joan Laguatan & Devin Benjamin (San Francisco, Calif.)
Meghan Campbell & Gareth Smith (Townsend, Tenn.)
For a complete list of caterers, dressmakers, and photographers from each of this year’s wedding couples, visit our 2011 Guide to Vegan Weddings. Want to read all about their actual wedding day and see more photos? Check out the May+June edition of VegNews!
Interested in being a part of next year's VegNews Wedding Feature? Apply now!
5 Things You Learn After Veg Speed Dating
Meeting vegan singles is fun—and only slightly awkward.
Read More »
How to Combat the USDA's Animal Welfare Blackout
The government just made it nearly impossible to track the abuse of millions of animals used in laboratories each year. VegNews speaks to Beagle Freedom Project founder Shannon Keith to find out what we can do to weather the blow.
Read More »
6 Things to Know about Fat Shaming Among Vegans
Sometimes, questionable intentions and misguided attitudes can collide in the form of discrimination, but theres hope for us yet.
Read More »
VegNews Top 8 Ways to Celebrate Valentines Day
Dreamy V-Day proposals, plant-based aphrodisiacs, and salacious chocolate bites are just the start of how you should celebrate your February 14.
Read More »
4 Tips for Nurturing a Great Vegan Romance
Just because someone else is vegan, youre not necessarily going to live happily ever after—even if youre Mistress Ginger.
Read More »
- 5 Dreamy Vegan Valentine's Day Proposals
- 6 Ways to Queer Your Vegan Valentines Day
- 9 Movie-and-Food Combinations for the Single Vegan on Valentines Day
- 6 Ways to Woo a Vegan Girl Online
- Animals in Love: 5 Species That Commit
- 6 Books Changing Veganism in 2017
- 5 Dating Tips from a Vegan Dating Expert
- 5 Heart Health Tips from Plant-Based Medical Pros
- 5 Ways to Heat Up Your Sex Life on Valentines Day
- 12 Vegan Non-Food Gifts to Woo Your Sweetheart This Valentines Day
- 4 Ways to Find Love as a Vegan Using Mobile Apps
- 10 Vegan Game Day Cocktails
- 10 Vegan Chip and Dip Match-Ups Fit For A Super Bowl Smackdown
- An Interview with the Worlds Longest-Running Cat Whisperer
- Top 10 Vegan Body Oils in Stores Now
- 5 Ways 2016 Completely Changed Veganism
- 3 Things Ive Learned Since Working with Chickens
- The VegNews Guide to Vegan Girl Scout Cookies
- Veganism Saved My Life: Jeremy Bartel
- 5 Vegan Beauty Tips from Mistress Ginger