Vegan Weddings 2011 (Crystal Burnett & Chris Tate)
Meet Crystal and Chris, one of 2011's 10 fabulous wedding couples.
Crystal Burnett & Chris Tate
Guests: 50 (wedding), 100 (reception)
Date: November 9, 2010
Their story: Crystal and Chris were only 13 when they met in the Corpus Christi punk scene. Their relationship grew over the years as they collaborated on music and later moved in together, still as friends, in Austin, Texas. Things heated up a few months after becoming roommates, and Crystal quickly transitioned to veganism out of consideration for Chris. Crystal’s new passion for veganism led her straight to the kitchen where her vegan queso and the couple’s business, Food for Lovers, was born. While pouring their resources into their business, there wasn’t much room left for fancy dates, but this creative couple made the most of their eclectic city. The proposal didn’t go exactly as Chris had planned when they arrived at Town Lake for an afternoon of sipping wine in a rented boat. Once he realized the boats weren’t available, Chris rushed Crystal along the shore toward one of the many bridges lining the water, stopping when they heard a violinist playing “Something,” one of their favorite Beatles’ songs. Chris knelt beside her, asked for her hand in marriage, and once she had said yes, brought her closer to the shore. Finally, the hidden violinist was revealed and under the bridge hung a sign that read, “Crystal, will you marry me?” Although the day veered from Chris’ plan, it ended perfectly!
Housemade chips with trio of salsas
Mexican wedding cookies
Chocolate tres leches cake with fresh strawberry filling, topped with whipped chocolate frosting
Meet all of our 2011 Vegan Wedding couples:
Elizabeth Cook & Alap Shah (Itasca, Ill.)
Joselle Palacios & Brian Kantorek (Philadelphia, Pa.)
Stephanie Karpel & Stephen Wright (Mendocino, Calif.)
Kim Karpel & Ben Milner (Newport Beach, Calif.)
Petrina Katsikas & Kevin Butler (Willow, NY)
Astrum Lux Lucis & Alicia Ojeda (Austin, Texas)
Erin Williams & Andrew Page (Hawaii, Big Island)
Crystal Burnett & Chris Tate (Austin, Texas)
Joan Laguatan & Devin Benjamin (San Francisco, Calif.)
Meghan Campbell & Gareth Smith (Townsend, Tenn.)
For a complete list of caterers, dressmakers, and photographers from each of this year’s wedding couples, visit our 2011 Guide to Vegan Weddings. Want to read all about their actual wedding day and see more photos? Check out the May+June edition of VegNews!
Interested in being a part of next year's VegNews Wedding Feature? Apply now!
Well, That Was Quick. 7 Ways Were Breaking Our 2018 Resolutions with the New Vegan Ben & Jerrys Flavors
The debut of the new flavors from this iconic ice cream brand have us dreaming of all the ways we plan on eating them.
Read More »
How a Vegan Celebrity Chef Became One of Biggest Influencers in Atlanta
Chef Ahki brings a much-needed relevance and relatability to many who never imagined themselves going vegan.
Read More »
4 Vegan Athletes Who Think You Need to Join the #PlantMilkChallenge
Cruelty-free athletes explain why they ditched dairy and how they fuel their bodies with plant-based milks.
Read More »
From 6 Months to Live to a New Lease On Life: Veganism Saved Her Life
In the popular Veganism Saved My Life series, we share stories of people who have witnessed extraordinary health overhauls thanks to a plant-based diet.
Read More »
If Your Baby Could Talk, They Would Tell You They Really Want Vegan Diaper Ointments
Thanks to us, theres no reason your babies behinds shouldnt be as vegan as the rest of their bodies.
Read More »
- If Going Vegan is Your Resolution This Year, Read This
- 2018 is the Year of the Vegan Wine and Cheese Pairings
- How a Vegan Restaurateur Balances Work and a Hunter Husband
- You Are Only 6 Steps Away from Your Best Vegan Year Ever
- Everything You Need to Know About Milk Substitutes
- Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams' Enforced Policy Literally Saved His Life
- Frick 2017! Heres What VegNews Editors Plan to Do in 2018 …
- Want to Lower Your Blood Pressure? Go Vegan!
- Are Your Sweeteners as Vegan and Ethical as You Are?
- Is So-Called Clean Meat Vegan? Paul Shapiro Has the Answer
- The 12 Best Vegan Desserts of All Time at Trader Joes
- Winter Doesnt Stand a Chance Thanks to These 5 Vegan Skin Products
- Why Jackie Day Should Be Your New Vegan BFF
- 9 Vegan Startups You Need to Know About in 2018
- 2018 is the Year Your Skin Goes Vegan, Too
- Top 10 Vegan Recipes of 2017
- Forget Cookies. Here are the 7 Vegan Treats Santa Really Wants This Year ...
- 6 Survival Tips for Vegans at Holiday Parties
- 10 Last-Minute Vegan Stocking Stuffers for the Best Christmas Ever
- 7 Household Items Easily Transformed into Vegan Holiday Décor