Interview with a Vegan Drinks Veteran
Vegan Drinks is taking the nation by storm. From snowy DC to sunny LA, meet, drink, and be merry!
OK, you don’t technically have to be vegan to attend Vegan Drinks—no one will check your Vegan ID at the door. However, if you want to take part in a socializing opportunity that is taking the nation by storm, definitely stop by your local chapter. Even if alcohol is as verboten for you as meat, Vegan Drinks is a great way to meet other veg-friendly folk in your area, talk shop, talk things other than shop—for once!—and generally kick back and unwind, whether it’s with a custom martini, discounted brew, or tall, chilled glass of cranberry-orange juice. Getting together with other people who are as dedicated to the cause as you are—and inviting those who are just dipping their toes into the veg pool—can be a refreshing, energizing experience, not to mention a fantastic way to wind down after work.
Don’t know of an event in your neighborhood? Not to worry, you can always start your own! To get a little more insight into the sipping sensation, VN caught up with Deborah Diamant, who co-organized the very first Vegan Drinks in New York City way back in May of last year.
VegNews: What’s your favorite aspect of Vegan Drinks?
Deborah Diamant: I’ve witnessed many friendships form and strengthen since we launched back in May. In particular, I loved watching some of the Long Island Food Not Bombs folks meet some of their Brooklyn (Bedford-Stuyvesant) Food Not Bombs counterparts for the first time during the June Vegan Drinks. Both groups now regularly support one another.
VN: Since the event’s inception last May, there are now Vegan Drinks in eight cities across the country. Did you expect Vegan Drinks would catch on in as many cities as it has?
DD: I expected that the idea would catch on, but not nearly as quickly as it did.
VN: What about vegans who don’t drink? Is Vegan Drinks still fun?
DD: I can’t speak for all teetotalers (especially since I’m not one), but of my friends who don’t drink and regularly come to Vegan Drinks, I can safely say that they have a very good time. Vegan Drinks certainly isn’t for everyone—not everyone likes a loud bar—but we get many repeat attendees (drinkers and non-drinkers alike) to our event.
VN: What’s the most unexpected event/connection/random circumstance to come out of Vegan Drinks so far?
DD: I met someone with the same last name as me! And, we’re apparently not related! It only took 31 years, a few months, and a vegan happy-hour to make it happen!
The first installment of San Francisco Vegan Drinks will be held this Thursday, and is proudly sponsored by VegNews Magazine. Around the country there are events in Cleveland, Los Angeles, New York City, Philadelphia, Salt Lake City, the Twin Cities, and Washington DC.
3 Vegan Thanksgiving Sides from the Experts
Three culinary geniuses share scrumptious vegan sides perfect for UnTurkey Day.
Read More »
Thanksgiving Salad with Cranberries, Apples, & Caramelized Pecans
VegNews' co-founder Colleen Holland shares one of her favorite holiday dishes, complete with sweet, caramelized pecans that are sure to dazzle your guests.
Read More »
3 Simple Timelines for a Stress-Free Vegan Thanksgiving
Your ultimate checklist for getting everything done for UnTurkey Day.
Read More »
5 Pancakes for a Cheerfully Decadent Holiday Season
Why deck the halls when you can deck out hotcakes? These festive flapjacks make a perfect holiday meal.
Read More »
10 Downright Delicious Dessert Thanksgiving Recipes
Follow up your appetizers and entrées with a sensational, dairy-free dessert menu thats unique and satisfying.
Read More »
- VN Thanksgiving Exclusive: Five Holiday Centerpieces
- 10 Amazing Savory Thanksgiving Recipes
- Toddy Takeover: 10 Amazing Vegan Cold-Weather Cocktails
- 3 Creative Trimmings for 3 Classic Holiday Pies
- The Ultimate Vegan Getaway: The Stanford Inn
- 7 Inflammation-Reducing Food Groups
- 14 Game-Changing Avocado Recipes
- 5 Foods to Beautify Your Hair from the Inside Out
- VN Recipe Round Up: 7 Fall Favorites
- VegNews Exclusive: Top Tips for An All-Star Vegan Brunch
- Just In Time for Halloween! The 2013 VegNews Guide to Vegan Candy
- The Ultimate Vegan Halloween Party Tips & Menu
- 5 Mouthwatering Vegan Pumpkin Recipes
- A Day in the Life of A Vegan Food Truck Entrepreneur
- The #1 Way to Make Sure You Eat Your Greens First
- LA's Hottest Eatery: Crossroads Kitchen
- Gluten-Free, Kid-Approved Lunchtime Recipes
- 7 Steps to Becoming a Healthier Vegan
- 3 Amazing Back-to-School Allergen-Free Recipes
- 20 Recipes for a Tasty Vegan Labor Day Celebration