5 More Must-Know 2011 Vegan Books
Publisher Joseph Connelly suggests five of 2011's best vegan book-cookbook hybrids.
Some books are cookbooks. Others have zero recipes (and calories). And then there are the hybrids, those with a slight identity crisis, not knowing exactly what they want to be when they grow up. This year saw a banner crop of this new(ish) breed, including these five that, while they didn’t fit on either the 10 Best Vegan Cookbooks of 2011 or 10 Best Vegan Books of 2011, belong on a list all their own.
21-Day Weight Loss Kickstart: Boost Metabolism, Lower Cholesterol, And Dramatically Improve Your Health by Neal Barnard, MD (Grand Central Life & Style)
Looking to start 2012 off on the right foot, yet don’t want to deprive yourself too too much? Pick up Barnard’s latest, sink your teeth into his sensible advice, then enjoy Chef Jason Wyrick’s 21-day meal plan. This duo might just be the new vegan tag-team, and will have you feeling lighter and younger in three weeks. Guaranteed.
Crazy Sexy Diet: Eat Your Veggies, Ignite Your Spark, and Live Like You Mean It by Kris Carr (Skirt!)
Then, there’s the 21-day cleanse-with-recipes that Kris Carr prescribes, which, depending upon how naughty you’ve been since Thanksgiving, might just be what the good doctor would order (if she was a doctor). Karr is a cancer survivor, and Crazy Sexy Diet, which got 2011 off and running, is just as relevant with the new (last) Mayan calendar on the horizon.
I’m Mad As Hell, and I’m Not Going to Eat It Anymore! by Christina Pirello (Perigee Trade)
If media darling and VN Columnist Christina Pirello could cook every meal for you, she would. But she can’t, so here you are: 200 pages of what not to eat (and why), followed by 120 pages of “recipes just like Mama used to make, only healthier.” Pirello serves her sass and sustenance equally well, like a Sweet Almond Chocolate Milkshake … wait, that’s one of the recipes.
Super Immunity: The Essential Nutrition Guide for Boosting Your Body’s Defenses to Live Longer, Stronger, and Disease Free by Joel Fuhrman, MD (HarperOne)
Joel Fuhrman doesn’t stop at suggesting a vegan diet or reversing Western health problems caused by cheap, empty calories. He wants you to be super healthy, to eat nutrient-dense foods, and to fly through the air like Superman, much like he does. Fuhrman’s knowledge is indisputable; with Super Immunity, you get both the facts and the fats—the good kind, of course.
Thrive Foods: 200 Plant-Based Recipes for Peak Health by Brendan Brazier (Da Capo – US; Penguin – Canada)
This one is sort of like a cookbook, except, well, it’s not. Ironman Brazier first sets the table with a thorough, compact analysis of where our food comes from and the effect it’s having on the planet, then serves a wide-range of appetizing recipes, a blend of his own and some from his famous friends and restaurants. (This book was simultaneously published in Canada as Whole Foods to Thrive: Nutrient-Dense, Plant-Based Recipes for Peak Health).
NYCs Most Successful Vegan Restaurateur Shares Her Secrets
As the Blossom empire continues to expand, founder Pamela Elizabeth talks celebrity guests, tips for running a vegan business, and lessons she's learned along the way.
Read More »
9 Must-Visit Booths at NYC Vegetarian Food Festival
Books, guest speakers, and—oh yeah, food—take over New York City.
Read More »
5 Vegan Gifts to Give a Grad
Giving a vegan gift is a great way to congratulate a graduate.
Read More »
5 Vegan YouTube Channels to Binge-Watch
Sit back, relax, and spend an entire day with your favorite vegan YouTube stars.
Read More »
5 Ways to Celebrate a Vegan Mothers Day with Your Mom
Show your mom you love her with vegan food, gifts, and fun.
Read More »
- 8 Questions with Veggie Grill Co-Founder T.K. Pillan
- 12 Vegan Unicorn-Themed Things You Need Immediately
- A Sneak Preview of Plant-Based by Nafsikas Second Season
- 5 Vegan Things We Want Delivered by Drone
- 5 Spring Resources for Vegan Athletes
- 9 New Medical Reasons to Never Eat Meat
- 7 Instagram Accounts by Vegan POC You Should Be Following
- 7 Ways School Garden Projects Can Save the World
- 7 Vegan Things My Cats Should Buy Me for National Pet Parents Day
- 5 Reasons to Vote Me as PETAs Sexiest Vegan Next Door
- Brooklyn Chef Veganizes Popular Momofuku Milk Bar
- 7 Vegan Ways to Spend Your Tax Refund
- How to Become an Ageless Boomer
- Mistress Gingers 4 Ways to Be a Sneaky Vegan
- 5 Ways Going Vegan Helped Me Become a Minimalist
- 5 Stories by Vegan Doctors to Celebrate National Doctors' Day
- 5 Ideas for a Great Vegan Spring Wedding
- 5 Hot Vegan Shoes for Spring
- 3 Reasons to Eat Your Fruit and Vegetables
- My Sneaky Plan to Convince a 17-Year-Old to Go Vegan