5 More Must-Know 2011 Vegan Books
Publisher Joseph Connelly suggests five of 2011's best vegan book-cookbook hybrids.
Some books are cookbooks. Others have zero recipes (and calories). And then there are the hybrids, those with a slight identity crisis, not knowing exactly what they want to be when they grow up. This year saw a banner crop of this new(ish) breed, including these five that, while they didn’t fit on either the 10 Best Vegan Cookbooks of 2011 or 10 Best Vegan Books of 2011, belong on a list all their own.
21-Day Weight Loss Kickstart: Boost Metabolism, Lower Cholesterol, And Dramatically Improve Your Health by Neal Barnard, MD (Grand Central Life & Style)
Looking to start 2012 off on the right foot, yet don’t want to deprive yourself too too much? Pick up Barnard’s latest, sink your teeth into his sensible advice, then enjoy Chef Jason Wyrick’s 21-day meal plan. This duo might just be the new vegan tag-team, and will have you feeling lighter and younger in three weeks. Guaranteed.
Crazy Sexy Diet: Eat Your Veggies, Ignite Your Spark, and Live Like You Mean It by Kris Carr (Skirt!)
Then, there’s the 21-day cleanse-with-recipes that Kris Carr prescribes, which, depending upon how naughty you’ve been since Thanksgiving, might just be what the good doctor would order (if she was a doctor). Karr is a cancer survivor, and Crazy Sexy Diet, which got 2011 off and running, is just as relevant with the new (last) Mayan calendar on the horizon.
I’m Mad As Hell, and I’m Not Going to Eat It Anymore! by Christina Pirello (Perigee Trade)
If media darling and VN Columnist Christina Pirello could cook every meal for you, she would. But she can’t, so here you are: 200 pages of what not to eat (and why), followed by 120 pages of “recipes just like Mama used to make, only healthier.” Pirello serves her sass and sustenance equally well, like a Sweet Almond Chocolate Milkshake … wait, that’s one of the recipes.
Super Immunity: The Essential Nutrition Guide for Boosting Your Body’s Defenses to Live Longer, Stronger, and Disease Free by Joel Fuhrman, MD (HarperOne)
Joel Fuhrman doesn’t stop at suggesting a vegan diet or reversing Western health problems caused by cheap, empty calories. He wants you to be super healthy, to eat nutrient-dense foods, and to fly through the air like Superman, much like he does. Fuhrman’s knowledge is indisputable; with Super Immunity, you get both the facts and the fats—the good kind, of course.
Thrive Foods: 200 Plant-Based Recipes for Peak Health by Brendan Brazier (Da Capo – US; Penguin – Canada)
This one is sort of like a cookbook, except, well, it’s not. Ironman Brazier first sets the table with a thorough, compact analysis of where our food comes from and the effect it’s having on the planet, then serves a wide-range of appetizing recipes, a blend of his own and some from his famous friends and restaurants. (This book was simultaneously published in Canada as Whole Foods to Thrive: Nutrient-Dense, Plant-Based Recipes for Peak Health).
40 Things I Desperately Want to Eat at Los Angeles' Hottest Vegan Festival
My tupperware's set, I've only eaten kale the past four days, and I'm ready for Eat Drink Vegan.
Read More »
How to Throw the Ultimate Graduation Vegan Barbecue
Schools out for summer—or maybe even forever—so fire up the grill and treat yourself and your loved ones to the ultimate celebration.
Read More »
5 Ways to Celebrate a Vegan Mother's Day with Your Mom
Show your mom you love her with vegan food, gifts, and fun.
Read More »
7 Pampering Vegan Products That Say I Love You, Mom
This Mothers Day, say thanks to your mom by creating a relaxing environment that is ethical, cruelty-free, and aesthetically pleasing.
Read More »
Wicked Kitchen Chef Dishes on the Future of Vegan Food
Former Whole Foods UK chef Derek Sarno hops the pond to Tesco.
Read More »
- Why Going Vegan Can Help You Relax
- 3 Vegan Prom Makeup Looks
- The Ex-Airline Pilot Behind New York's Favorite Vegan Burger
- 10 Vegan Oatmeal Cups for the Person on the Go
- 8 Vegan Etsy Stickers That Your Car, Laptop, and Water Bottle Need, Like, Yesterday
- This 10-Minute Documentary Is Showing How Children Are Embracing Veganism
- It's Time for Men to Get Over Their Fears of Being Vegan
- We're Giving 5 Classic Films a Vegan Makeover
- VegFest Puerto Rico Built Community and Mainstreamed Veganism
- 8 Vegan Foods Making the 2018 Food-Trend List
- Fall in Love With Niagara's Vegan Scene
- If Trader Joe's Made These 11 Frozen Foods Vegan, We'd Never Have To Cook Again
- 8 Quirky Vegan Burritos To Make You Rethink Your Favorite Meal
- If You're a Broke Vegan Student, Read This
- It's Time Your Dog Went Vegan
- 6 Tips for Losing Weight on a Vegan Diet
- You're 8 Steps Away from Setting a Vegan Easter Table
- Did You Know César Chávez Was Also an Animal-Rights Activist?
- 10 Medical Reasons to Skip the Eggs on Easter
- 5 Startup Food Companies About to Revolutionize Veganism