5 More Must-Know 2011 Vegan Books
Publisher Joseph Connelly suggests five of 2011's best vegan book-cookbook hybrids.
Some books are cookbooks. Others have zero recipes (and calories). And then there are the hybrids, those with a slight identity crisis, not knowing exactly what they want to be when they grow up. This year saw a banner crop of this new(ish) breed, including these five that, while they didn’t fit on either the 10 Best Vegan Cookbooks of 2011 or 10 Best Vegan Books of 2011, belong on a list all their own.
21-Day Weight Loss Kickstart: Boost Metabolism, Lower Cholesterol, And Dramatically Improve Your Health by Neal Barnard, MD (Grand Central Life & Style)
Looking to start 2012 off on the right foot, yet don’t want to deprive yourself too too much? Pick up Barnard’s latest, sink your teeth into his sensible advice, then enjoy Chef Jason Wyrick’s 21-day meal plan. This duo might just be the new vegan tag-team, and will have you feeling lighter and younger in three weeks. Guaranteed.
Crazy Sexy Diet: Eat Your Veggies, Ignite Your Spark, and Live Like You Mean It by Kris Carr (Skirt!)
Then, there’s the 21-day cleanse-with-recipes that Kris Carr prescribes, which, depending upon how naughty you’ve been since Thanksgiving, might just be what the good doctor would order (if she was a doctor). Karr is a cancer survivor, and Crazy Sexy Diet, which got 2011 off and running, is just as relevant with the new (last) Mayan calendar on the horizon.
I’m Mad As Hell, and I’m Not Going to Eat It Anymore! by Christina Pirello (Perigee Trade)
If media darling and VN Columnist Christina Pirello could cook every meal for you, she would. But she can’t, so here you are: 200 pages of what not to eat (and why), followed by 120 pages of “recipes just like Mama used to make, only healthier.” Pirello serves her sass and sustenance equally well, like a Sweet Almond Chocolate Milkshake … wait, that’s one of the recipes.
Super Immunity: The Essential Nutrition Guide for Boosting Your Body’s Defenses to Live Longer, Stronger, and Disease Free by Joel Fuhrman, MD (HarperOne)
Joel Fuhrman doesn’t stop at suggesting a vegan diet or reversing Western health problems caused by cheap, empty calories. He wants you to be super healthy, to eat nutrient-dense foods, and to fly through the air like Superman, much like he does. Fuhrman’s knowledge is indisputable; with Super Immunity, you get both the facts and the fats—the good kind, of course.
Thrive Foods: 200 Plant-Based Recipes for Peak Health by Brendan Brazier (Da Capo – US; Penguin – Canada)
This one is sort of like a cookbook, except, well, it’s not. Ironman Brazier first sets the table with a thorough, compact analysis of where our food comes from and the effect it’s having on the planet, then serves a wide-range of appetizing recipes, a blend of his own and some from his famous friends and restaurants. (This book was simultaneously published in Canada as Whole Foods to Thrive: Nutrient-Dense, Plant-Based Recipes for Peak Health).
5 Vegan Responses When Your Health Teacher Tells You to Eat Meat
If youre a vegan high school student, health class just might be the hardest course to pass.
Read More »
Vegan Self-Publishing in 4 Easy Steps
Share your work with the world, and spread the vegan message? Yes, and yes.
Read More »
You're 8 Steps Away from Setting a Vegan Easter Table
This year, set your Easter table with cruelty-free plates, faux-grass runners, eggless-eggs, and compostable dessert plates.
Read More »
It's Time You Talked to Your Parents About Your Veganism
They might not understand at first, but with the help of documentaries and delicious meals, your parents will understand that your veganism is more than just a fad.
Read More »
5 Life Lessons I Learned in the Prison Garden
After being sentenced to 240 years behind bars, I wondered: how could I turn my dirt-filled life into something beautiful? I decided to dig deep.
Read More »
- The 10 Vegan Swag Bag Items That Will Make You Wish You Were Going to the Oscars
- Want to Make Sure Your College Choice Is as Vegan as You Are? Here's How
- 8 Vegan Etsy Stickers That Your Car, Laptop, and Water Bottle Need, Like, Yesterday
- Rapper Styles P's Juice Shops are Introducing More Hip-Hop Fans to Plant-Based Living
- Cafeterias Across the Country are Going Vegan. Here's Why ...
- We'd Love These 10 Celebs Even More if They Went Vegan
- Why Going Vegan Can Help You Relax
- Want Political Change? It's Time to Start Voting Vegan
- A Vegan Teen Guide to Ordering Food at Non-Vegan Restaurants
- 5 Reasons Your Next Vacation Should Be Aboard the Vegan Holistic Holiday at Sea
- How Do You Remember 100 Songs in 4 Days? For Pop-Punk Band Alkaline Trio, the Answer is Veganism
- 5 Woman-Owned Vegan Businesses You Should Be Obsessed With
- 6 Valentine's Day Gifts for that Vegan Curmudgeon in Your Life
- 6 Red-Hot Vegan Lipsticks To Drive Your Valentine Crazy
- How a Vegan Canadian Figure Skater Prepared to Win Gold at the Winter Olympics
- How to Be a Vegan Teen Valentine
- Vegan Valentine's Day Tips From No. 1 Best-Selling Author Kathy Freston
- 5 Vegan Turmeric Recipes for Those Who Are Slightly Intimidated by It
- How A Vegan Diet is Making ''Everything'' Easier for One Punk Singer
- Your Meat-Eating Friends Want One of These 10 Vegan Books