The 11 Best Dishes in LA's Hottest Veg-Friendly 'hood
Silver Lake, one of Los Angeles' most hip 'hoods, is home to some of the best vegan eats in the West.
Named for the man-made reservoir that it surrounds, Los Angeles’ Silver Lake area is known as being one of the city’s most progressive and kooky neighborhoods. A hodgepodge of cultures, it offers sunny coexistence for hippies, artists, musicians, yogis, and dog-walkers, as well as a bevy of Mexican, Thai, and Filipino restaurants. With forward-thinking individuals comes forward-thinking cuisine, and as a result, Silver Lake and neighboring Echo Park are excellent areas for noshing on enticing vegan food of all styles and calibers. We asked some of our local experts to share their favorite plant-based palate-pleasers, and here are the 11 dishes that shined the brightest.
1. Buffalo-style Cauliflower from Mohawk Bend
Who knew cauliflower could be so cool? Subdue the spice of this veg-friendly eatery’s buffalo sauce by slathering on the vegan blue cheese dressing, and wash it down with a brewski from the seemingly endless beer list.
2. Mock Duck Curry from Bulan Thai
This all-veg Thai restaurant delivers the Eastern heat with mouthwatering specials galore. Our pick: the Mock Duck Curry, wherein slightly sweet veggie duck compliments coconut milk, tomatoes, bell peppers, chili, and of course curry spices.
3. Vegan Hawaiian Pizza from Cruzer
Priding itself on being LA’s only 100-percent vegan pizzeria, Cruzer doesn’t skimp in any department. Vegan cheese pizza isn’t too hard to come by, but vegan Hawaiian with meatless ham, pineapple, and Daiya cheese? We’re sold.
4. Caesar Salad from Cru
Missing the cool crunch of the quintessential Caesar? Cru’s got the best plant-based version in town, richened by cheesy sesame croutons, buttery avocado, and a cashew-coconut Caesar dressing that knocks the store-bought stuff out of the water.
5. Tempeh Reuben from Flore
Reubens are a popular choice for sandwich veganization, but Flore hits the nail on the head with its tempeh rendition. Bonus components include scrumptious sauerkraut, two kinds of cheese (cashew- and tofu-based), and thousand-island dressing. Don’t forget extra napkins.
6. Vegan Club Sandwich from Local
This airy lunch spot makes sure to cheers its veg patrons, and what better way to indulge us than with a triple-decker club sandwich piled high with tempeh, avocado, lettuce, tomato, and sunflower sprouts and smeared with tofu-shallot mayo?
7. Acapulco Bowl from Tribal Café
This healthy take on a tostada is like a deconstructed wonder burrito that you can chow down on with a fork. Fill your belly with brown cilantro rice, greens, black beans, lettuce, carrots, corn, guacamole, and salsa fresca, and add soy pepper-beef for a meaty kick. Be sure to ask for the vegan version so that your server knows to skip the sour cream.
8. Mac and Cheese Balls from Sage
Need we say more? Fried vegan macaroni-and-cheese slathered in even more cheese, and best when doused in a little bit of hot sauce. Serve to omnis for maximum gloating as they scarf sans judgment.
9. Chocolate Salted Caramel Ice Cream from Kind Kreme
Sage’s sweet neighbor specializes in gourmet raw, vegan, organic frozen treats, and the almond milk-based Chocolate Salted Caramel Ice Cream is rich, creamy, and decadent enough to hurt so good. It’s dessert, minus the dairy hangover.
10. Fresh Citrus Kale Salad from Elf Café
While myriad mouthwatering options await at this super vegan-friendly eatery, the Fresh Citrus Kale Salad is the perfect healthy, refreshing meal for a hot summer’s day. Avocado, hemp seeds, and oil-free tamari dressing make it as hearty as it is nourishing.
11. Tom Kha Vege from Vegan House
We love the flavors of Thailand, but it can be difficult to avoid sneaky animal ingredients like fish sauce and shrimp paste at many Thai restaurants. Thankfully, Vegan House offers totally plant-based versions of every dish imaginable, impressing us with this veggie-packed version of Tom Kha Gai soup.
Everything You Need to Know About Juicing
From health benefits to how you make it, weve got the basics of this white-hot health trend to get you started on your juice journey.
Read More »
The #1 Way to Make Sure You Eat Your Greens First
Find yourself in need of some healthy habits? Its a lot easier to train your brain than you might think!
Read More »
How to Veganize Any Recipe: Sweet Edition
Dying to revamp a favorite dessert, but don't know where to start? These expert tips will help you convert any recipe vegan.
Read More »
Surprising Vegan Finds at Mainstream Grocery Stores with The Laziest Vegans
No Whole Foods? No Trader Joes? No problem! Thanks to The Laziest Vegans, finding vegan eats at your typical American supermarket is easier than you think.
Read More »
10 More Hot Veg-Friendly Spots in Nashville
Music City, USA has way more vegan fare than what we could cram into two magazine pages. Here are 10 more stellar options for sustenance.
Read More »
- VegNewsletter Giveaway: Trio of Vegan Books
- 3 Mouth-Watering Vegan Mexican Food Recipes
- 5 Next-Generation Vegan Cheese Brands
- Sarno Brothers Secret to Getting Wicked Healthy
- The Three-Day Detox Plan Anyone Can Do
- 11 Reasons Why Oakland is the New Brooklyn
- 11 Spicy Vegan Dishes for Hot Sauce Lovers
- 11 Unbelievably Awesome Uses for Cauliflower
- 3 Gluten-Free Seasonal Springtime Dishes
- 13 New and Unique Ways to Eat PB&J
- VegNewsletter Giveaway: Vegan Alfredo Sauce
- The Best Vegan Brunch Youll Ever Eat
- Joseph Connellys 48 Hours in Los Angeles
- 10 Healthful Foods You Should Be Eating Right Now
- How to Veganize Any Recipe: Savory Edition
- Top 10 Healthy Vegan Products at Expo West
- All Aboard the 100-Percent Vegan Holistic Holiday at Sea Cruise
- VegNews Dessert Contest with Chloe Coscarelli: Winner & Finalists
- Celebrate St. Pattys at One of These 7 Vegan-Friendly Bars
- 3 Kid-Friendly Recipes the Whole Family Will Love