The 11 Best Dishes in LA's Hottest Veg-Friendly Neighborhood
Silverlake, one of Los Angeles' most hip 'hoods, is home to some of the best vegan eats in the West.
Named for the man-made reservoir that it surrounds, Los Angeles’ Silverlake area is known as being one of the city’s most progressive and kooky neighborhoods. A hodgepodge of cultures, it offers sunny coexistence for hippies, artists, musicians, yogis, and dog-walkers, as well as hosts a bevy of Mexican, Thai, and Filipino restaurants. With forward-thinking individuals and a mix of cultures comes great cuisine, and as a result, Silverlake and neighboring Echo Park are excellent areas for noshing on enticing vegan food of all styles and calibers. We asked some local experts to share their favorite plant-based palate-pleasers, and here are the 11 dishes that shined the brightest.
1. Buffalo-style Cauliflower from Mohawk Bend
Who knew cauliflower could be so cool? Subdue the spice of this veg-friendly eatery’s buffalo sauce by slathering on the accompanying vegan blue cheese dressing, and wash it all down with a brewski from the seemingly endless beer list.
2. Mock Duck Curry from Bulan Thai
This all-veg Thai restaurant delivers Eastern heat with mouthwatering specials galore. Our pick: the Mock Duck Curry, wherein slightly sweet veggie duck complements coconut milk, tomatoes, bell peppers, chili, and, of course, curry spices.
3. Vegan Hawaiian Pizza from Cruzer
Priding itself on being LA’s only 100-percent vegan pizzeria, Cruzer doesn’t skimp in any department. Vegan cheese pizza isn’t too hard to come by, but vegan Hawaiian with meatless ham, pineapple, and Daiya cheese? We’re sold.
4. Caesar Salad from Cru
Missing the cool crunch of the quintessential Caesar? Cru’s got the best plant-based version in town, richened by cheesy sesame croutons, buttery avocado, and a cashew-coconut Caesar dressing that knocks the store-bought stuff out of the water.
5. Tempeh Reuben from Flore
Reubens are a popular choice for sandwich veganization, but Flore hits the nail on the head with its tempeh rendition. Bonus components include scrumptious sauerkraut, two kinds of cheese (cashew- and tofu-based), and thousand-island dressing. Don’t forget extra napkins.
6. Vegan Club Sandwich from Local
This airy lunch spot makes sure to cheers its veg patrons, and what better way to indulge us than with a triple-decker club sandwich piled high with tempeh, avocado, lettuce, tomato, and sunflower sprouts, and smeared with tofu-shallot mayo?
7. Acapulco Bowl from Tribal Café
This healthy take on a tostada resembles a deconstructed wonder burrito that you can chow down on with a fork. Fill your belly with brown cilantro rice, greens, black beans, lettuce, carrots, corn, guacamole, and salsa fresca, and add soy pepper-beef for a hearty extra. Be sure to ask for the vegan version so that your server knows to skip the sour cream.
8. Mac and Cheese Balls from Sage
Need we say more? Fried vegan macaroni-and-cheese slathered in even more cheese, and best when doused with a bit of hot sauce. Serve to omnis for maximum gloating as they scarf sans complaints.
9. Chocolate Salted Caramel Ice Cream from Kind Kreme
Sage’s sweet neighbor specializes in gourmet raw, vegan, organic frozen treats, and the almond milk-based Chocolate Salted Caramel Ice Cream is rich, creamy, and decadent enough to hurt so good. It’s dessert minus the dairy hangover.
10. Fresh Citrus Kale Salad from Elf Café
While myriad mouthwatering options await at this super vegan-friendly eatery, the Fresh Citrus Kale Salad is the perfect healthy, refreshing meal for a hot summer’s day. Avocado, hemp seeds, and oil-free tamari dressing make it as hearty as it is nourishing.
11. Tom Kha Vege from Vegan House
We love the flavors of Thailand, but it can be difficult to avoid sneaky animal ingredients like fish sauce and shrimp paste at many Thai restaurants. Thankfully, Vegan House offers totally plant-based versions of every dish imaginable, impressing us with this veggie-packed version of Tom Kha Gai soup.
Cape Cod Restaurants Take On Vegan Challenge
Local vegan group successfully challenges eateries to add vegan options during the month of October.
Read More »
The 9 Best Vegan Breakfasts on Instagram
From smoothie bowls to a meaty fast-food throwback, we round up the most like-worthy breakfasts on Instagram.
Read More »
10 Drinks with Benefits
Say goodbye to traditional beverages with an array of drinks that offer both health and social benefits.
Read More »
Watermelon Cucumber Salad
Rehydrate after all those active adventures with this bright and juicy summer salad.
Read More »
Blueberry Lavender Popsicles
This incredible fusion of flavor makes for a refreshing treat on a hot afternoon.
Read More »
- Mango Slushie
- Three Cool-Down Treats for Hot Summer Days
- 8 Best Places for Vegan Frozen Yogurt
- Guide to Vegan Ethiopian Food
- Vegan Meal Delivery Services (with Discount Codes!)
- 9 Game-Changing Nut Butters Were Loving
- An Open Letter to Coffeehouses Who Charge for Soy Milk ...
- 5 Ways to Create a Great Vegan Picnic
- The VegNews Guide to Vegan Milk
- Going Vegan: How One Meat-Serving Restaurant is Catering to the Meat-Free
- Sneak Preview: What's on the Menu at Chloe Coscarelli's NYC Restaurant?
- 14 Reasons Why Pitchfork Music Festival Is Vegan Paradise
- Vegan Meringue Has Arrived
- Morrissey Uses NYC Concert to Promote Veganism
- Top 10 Male Vegan Bloggers
- How to Veganize Any Recipe: Sweet Edition
- 10 Foods You Never Thought Youd Eat Again
- 5 Ingenius Ways to Eat Chocolate Chips
- Subscriber Appreciation Month Giveaway: Miyoko's Kitchen
- A Vegan Mothers Day Your Mom Will Love