Vegan Weddings 2012 (Jaya Bhumitra & Christopher Locke)
Meet Jaya and Chris, one of 2012s eight fabulous wedding couples.
Jaya Bhumitra & Christopher Locke
Palos Verdes Estates, CA
Location: La Venta Inn
Date: August 5, 2011
Their story: It’s often said that you should be friends first, and Jaya and Chris are evidence that it works. The two met volunteering for Compassion Over Killing in Los Angeles, and as they got to know each other at events, it was Chris who hoped he’d see Jaya’s face among the crowd. The relationship was so natural, in fact, that their first date (a cupcake taste-off between local bakeries Babycakes NYC and Flore) was an “unspoken” romantic rendezvous. Chris, in a not-so-unspoken way, asked Jaya to be his wife on her birthday in 2010, during which he planned a seriously elaborate scavenger hunt that culminated in a proposal that Jaya never saw coming. “She figures out everything I do. The look on her face when I asked her to marry me was the first and only time I’ve ever seen her genuinely surprised by something I was able to do,” Chris says. Well, that’s as good a time as any, don’t you think?
Butternut squash ravioli with sage sauce
Not-Pigs in a Blanket with apple-sage sausage
Twice-baked fingerling potatoes with crisped dulse
Tempura-beet rollatini with balsamic gastrique
Fresh-baked foccacia with caramelized onions
Pine nut and basil-seared chicken breast with lobster mushroom beurre blanc, braised kale, and roasted fingerling potatoes
Peppercorn-encrusted portabello fillets with yellow-tomato Bearnaise sauce and mashed potatoes
Artichoke-ricotta tortellini with saffron cream sauce
Guava cake with guava-jam filling, cased in marzipan and frosted with almond buttercream
Yellow cake with chocolate rice milk frosting and raspberries
Meet all of our 2012 Vegan Wedding couples:
Alicia Guzman & Nik Sadler (San Diego, CA)
Mae Stier & Bryan Laubhan (Grand Rapids, MI)
Cher Muzyk & Joseph Longobardo (Detroit, MI)
Jaya Bhumitra & Christopher Locke (Palos Verdes Estates, CA)
Kathleen King & Matt Berry (Chicago, IL)
Sarah Stride & Steve Schwass (Las Vegas, NV)
Stacey Bhaerman & Adam Shapiro (Philadelphia, PA)
Stephanie Bain & Ryan Shapiro (Wheaton, MD and New York, NY)
For a complete list of caterers, dressmakers, and photographers from each of this year’s wedding couples, visit our 2012 Guide to Vegan Weddings. Want to read all about their actual wedding day and see more photos? Check out the July+August edition of VegNews!
Interested in being a part of next year's VegNews Wedding Feature? Apply now!
Meet the Vegan Anthropologist Changing Academia
Dan Sayers is changing the way we view anthropology—and those who follow vegan lifestyles.
Read More »
Vegan Food Will Be Served at the NFL Draft, Thanks to This Dallas Chef
Soulgoods organic food is converting people to veganism by showing customers that cruelty-free doesnt have to taste like cardboard.
Read More »
5 Vegan Responses When Your Health Teacher Tells You to Eat Meat
If youre a vegan high school student, health class just might be the hardest course to pass.
Read More »
Vegan Self-Publishing in 4 Easy Steps
Share your work with the world, and spread the vegan message? Yes, and yes.
Read More »
Vegan St. Patricks Day 101
Learn about St. Pattys Day parades, vegan food and drinks, and the man who started it all.
Read More »
- You're 8 Steps Away from Setting a Vegan Easter Table
- It's Time You Talked to Your Parents About Your Veganism
- 5 Life Lessons I Learned in the Prison Garden
- The 10 Vegan Swag Bag Items That Will Make You Wish You Were Going to the Oscars
- Want to Make Sure Your College Choice Is as Vegan as You Are? Here's How
- 8 Vegan Etsy Stickers That Your Car, Laptop, and Water Bottle Need, Like, Yesterday
- Rapper Styles P's Juice Shops are Introducing More Hip-Hop Fans to Plant-Based Living
- Cafeterias Across the Country are Going Vegan. Here's Why ...
- We'd Love These 10 Celebs Even More if They Went Vegan
- Why Going Vegan Can Help You Relax
- Want Political Change? It's Time to Start Voting Vegan
- A Vegan Teen Guide to Ordering Food at Non-Vegan Restaurants
- 5 Reasons Your Next Vacation Should Be Aboard the Vegan Holistic Holiday at Sea
- How Do You Remember 100 Songs in 4 Days? For Pop-Punk Band Alkaline Trio, the Answer is Veganism
- 5 Woman-Owned Vegan Businesses You Should Be Obsessed With
- 6 Valentine's Day Gifts for that Vegan Curmudgeon in Your Life
- 6 Red-Hot Vegan Lipsticks To Drive Your Valentine Crazy
- How a Vegan Canadian Figure Skater Prepared to Win Gold at the Winter Olympics
- How to Be a Vegan Teen Valentine
- Vegan Valentine's Day Tips From No. 1 Best-Selling Author Kathy Freston