Vegan Weddings 2012 (Jaya Bhumitra & Christopher Locke)
Meet Jaya and Chris, one of 2012s eight fabulous wedding couples.
Jaya Bhumitra & Christopher Locke
Palos Verdes Estates, CA
Location: La Venta Inn
Date: August 5, 2011
Their story: It’s often said that you should be friends first, and Jaya and Chris are evidence that it works. The two met volunteering for Compassion Over Killing in Los Angeles, and as they got to know each other at events, it was Chris who hoped he’d see Jaya’s face among the crowd. The relationship was so natural, in fact, that their first date (a cupcake taste-off between local bakeries Babycakes NYC and Flore) was an “unspoken” romantic rendezvous. Chris, in a not-so-unspoken way, asked Jaya to be his wife on her birthday in 2010, during which he planned a seriously elaborate scavenger hunt that culminated in a proposal that Jaya never saw coming. “She figures out everything I do. The look on her face when I asked her to marry me was the first and only time I’ve ever seen her genuinely surprised by something I was able to do,” Chris says. Well, that’s as good a time as any, don’t you think?
Butternut squash ravioli with sage sauce
Not-Pigs in a Blanket with apple-sage sausage
Twice-baked fingerling potatoes with crisped dulse
Tempura-beet rollatini with balsamic gastrique
Fresh-baked foccacia with caramelized onions
Pine nut and basil-seared chicken breast with lobster mushroom beurre blanc, braised kale, and roasted fingerling potatoes
Peppercorn-encrusted portabello fillets with yellow-tomato Bearnaise sauce and mashed potatoes
Artichoke-ricotta tortellini with saffron cream sauce
Guava cake with guava-jam filling, cased in marzipan and frosted with almond buttercream
Yellow cake with chocolate rice milk frosting and raspberries
Meet all of our 2012 Vegan Wedding couples:
Alicia Guzman & Nik Sadler (San Diego, CA)
Mae Stier & Bryan Laubhan (Grand Rapids, MI)
Cher Muzyk & Joseph Longobardo (Detroit, MI)
Jaya Bhumitra & Christopher Locke (Palos Verdes Estates, CA)
Kathleen King & Matt Berry (Chicago, IL)
Sarah Stride & Steve Schwass (Las Vegas, NV)
Stacey Bhaerman & Adam Shapiro (Philadelphia, PA)
Stephanie Bain & Ryan Shapiro (Wheaton, MD and New York, NY)
For a complete list of caterers, dressmakers, and photographers from each of this year’s wedding couples, visit our 2012 Guide to Vegan Weddings. Want to read all about their actual wedding day and see more photos? Check out the July+August edition of VegNews!
Interested in being a part of next year's VegNews Wedding Feature? Apply now!
4 Vegan Cookbooks For Your Holiday Gift List, Plus What to Pre-Order for 2018
Give the most delicious gift of all with one of these outstanding vegan cookbooks.
Read More »
5 Fun Holiday Movies that Vegans Can Enjoy
Enjoy the spirit of the season while learning a message about compassion with these five flicks.
Read More »
How a 30-Day Vegan Bet Turned Me into a Media Powerhouse
Six years ago, I went vegan to help my wife and her celiac disease. Now, were ethical vegans, and I have a blog, two books, and an internet cooking show.
Read More »
You Are 5 Minutes Away From Having the Perfect Vegan Winter Face
Get your seasonal glow in less time than it takes to brew your morning coffee.
Read More »
VegNews Holiday Cookie Contest 2017 Finalists
Drum roll, please! We present the 10 finalists in this year's VegNews Holiday Cookie Contest.
Read More »
- 18 Vegan Things We Can't Wait to Try in 2018
- Top 10 Vegan Stories of 2017
- No, Hemp Will Not Get You High. Yes, You Need it Anyway.
- 10 Vegan Beauty Products at CVS That Will Save You Some Coin
- Dear Vegans: The Holidays Don't Have to Suck
- 8 Vegan Winter Boots That Will Make You Look Hot
- Top 10 Vegan News Stories of 2017
- 4 Easy Ways to Support Animals During the Holidays
- Veganizing Korean Food, As Told By An American Expat
- VegNews Vegan Wedding Application 2018
- The Healthcare Industry Will Go Completely Vegan, If These Doctors Have Anything to Do With It
- 9 Vegan Cosmetics Youll Buy as Holiday Gifts, Then Probably Keep For Yourself
- If You're A Vegan Stoner, We Have the Perfect Cooking Competition for You
- Forget Milk and Eggs. These 8 Vegan Substitutes Will Make Your Holiday Baked Goods 100 Times Better
- 5 Reasons Animal Testing Will Soon Be a Thing of the Past
- 4 Incredible Ways Animals Can Help Your Child in Need
- VegNews Holiday Gift Guide 2017
- Vegan Black Friday Deals That Will Make You Whip Out Your Credit Card
- 9 Things VegNews Editors Are Thankful For
- Stand in Line (or Not) for These 5 Vegan Black Friday and Cyber Monday Deals