Vegan Weddings 2012 (Jaya Bhumitra & Christopher Locke)
Meet Jaya and Chris, one of 2012s eight fabulous wedding couples.
Jaya Bhumitra & Christopher Locke
Palos Verdes Estates, CA
Location: La Venta Inn
Date: August 5, 2011
Their story: It’s often said that you should be friends first, and Jaya and Chris are evidence that it works. The two met volunteering for Compassion Over Killing in Los Angeles, and as they got to know each other at events, it was Chris who hoped he’d see Jaya’s face among the crowd. The relationship was so natural, in fact, that their first date (a cupcake taste-off between local bakeries Babycakes NYC and Flore) was an “unspoken” romantic rendezvous. Chris, in a not-so-unspoken way, asked Jaya to be his wife on her birthday in 2010, during which he planned a seriously elaborate scavenger hunt that culminated in a proposal that Jaya never saw coming. “She figures out everything I do. The look on her face when I asked her to marry me was the first and only time I’ve ever seen her genuinely surprised by something I was able to do,” Chris says. Well, that’s as good a time as any, don’t you think?
Butternut squash ravioli with sage sauce
Not-Pigs in a Blanket with apple-sage sausage
Twice-baked fingerling potatoes with crisped dulse
Tempura-beet rollatini with balsamic gastrique
Fresh-baked foccacia with caramelized onions
Pine nut and basil-seared chicken breast with lobster mushroom beurre blanc, braised kale, and roasted fingerling potatoes
Peppercorn-encrusted portabello fillets with yellow-tomato Bearnaise sauce and mashed potatoes
Artichoke-ricotta tortellini with saffron cream sauce
Guava cake with guava-jam filling, cased in marzipan and frosted with almond buttercream
Yellow cake with chocolate rice milk frosting and raspberries
Meet all of our 2012 Vegan Wedding couples:
Alicia Guzman & Nik Sadler (San Diego, CA)
Mae Stier & Bryan Laubhan (Grand Rapids, MI)
Cher Muzyk & Joseph Longobardo (Detroit, MI)
Jaya Bhumitra & Christopher Locke (Palos Verdes Estates, CA)
Kathleen King & Matt Berry (Chicago, IL)
Sarah Stride & Steve Schwass (Las Vegas, NV)
Stacey Bhaerman & Adam Shapiro (Philadelphia, PA)
Stephanie Bain & Ryan Shapiro (Wheaton, MD and New York, NY)
For a complete list of caterers, dressmakers, and photographers from each of this year’s wedding couples, visit our 2012 Guide to Vegan Weddings. Want to read all about their actual wedding day and see more photos? Check out the July+August edition of VegNews!
Interested in being a part of next year's VegNews Wedding Feature? Apply now!
5 Things You Learn After Veg Speed Dating
Meeting vegan singles is fun—and only slightly awkward.
Read More »
How to Combat the USDA's Animal Welfare Blackout
The government just made it nearly impossible to track the abuse of millions of animals used in laboratories each year. VegNews speaks to Beagle Freedom Project founder Shannon Keith to find out what we can do to weather the blow.
Read More »
6 Things to Know about Fat Shaming Among Vegans
Sometimes, questionable intentions and misguided attitudes can collide in the form of discrimination, but theres hope for us yet.
Read More »
VegNews Top 8 Ways to Celebrate Valentines Day
Dreamy V-Day proposals, plant-based aphrodisiacs, and salacious chocolate bites are just the start of how you should celebrate your February 14.
Read More »
4 Tips for Nurturing a Great Vegan Romance
Just because someone else is vegan, youre not necessarily going to live happily ever after—even if youre Mistress Ginger.
Read More »
- 5 Dreamy Vegan Valentine's Day Proposals
- 6 Ways to Queer Your Vegan Valentines Day
- 9 Movie-and-Food Combinations for the Single Vegan on Valentines Day
- 6 Ways to Woo a Vegan Girl Online
- Animals in Love: 5 Species That Commit
- 6 Books Changing Veganism in 2017
- 5 Dating Tips from a Vegan Dating Expert
- 5 Heart Health Tips from Plant-Based Medical Pros
- 5 Ways to Heat Up Your Sex Life on Valentines Day
- 12 Vegan Non-Food Gifts to Woo Your Sweetheart This Valentines Day
- 4 Ways to Find Love as a Vegan Using Mobile Apps
- 10 Vegan Game Day Cocktails
- 10 Vegan Chip and Dip Match-Ups Fit For A Super Bowl Smackdown
- An Interview with the Worlds Longest-Running Cat Whisperer
- Top 10 Vegan Body Oils in Stores Now
- 5 Ways 2016 Completely Changed Veganism
- 3 Things Ive Learned Since Working with Chickens
- The VegNews Guide to Vegan Girl Scout Cookies
- Veganism Saved My Life: Jeremy Bartel
- 5 Vegan Beauty Tips from Mistress Ginger