9 Must-Have Vegan Cosmetics Picks
Before you gloss your lips, bronze your cheeks, or darken your lashes, make sure your makeup has a solid (vegan) foundation.
The glitz and glamour of cosmetics is not as easy breezy as you may think. While numerous cosmetics companies have stopped testing on animals or have remained cruelty-free, many other companies have not yet adopted this policy (even after Elle Woods beseeched Congress to pass a bill banning it). Additionally, many US-based cosmetic companies have abandoned their principles in order to enter the Chinese market where animal testing is mandatory, but big profits are theirs for the taking. Wondering what new ethical makeup to stock up on now? The following companies offer balms, liners, and shadows that will keep you looking your best, without compromising your values.
To achieve the look of a glowing goddess, 100% Pure’s Fruit Pigmented Tinted Moisturizer is the way to go. This company prides itself on being 100-percent natural, 100-percent vegan, and 100-percent gluten-free. Pigments of peach, cocoa bean, cucumber juice, and cinnamon are some of the few wholesome ingredients packed inside the bottles. After just one small pump and effortless application, your skin will look smoother and brighter than ever before. But what do you do when you run into the age-old beauty quandary and need to go powder your nose? Ecco Bella has the ultimate FlowerColor Face Powder to keep handy in your purse at your convenience. The talc-free powder comes in four shades to match to your skin tone perfectly, and will never fail to absorb any unwanted oil.
Want to play up your pretty cheekbones? Look no further than Tarte Cosmetics’ Maracuja Blush & Glow Brightening Luminizer and Cheek Tint. The two-in-one product allows you to enhance the look of your complexion and create a dewy glow and also make your cheekbones pop. This product can also be applied to bare skin when you are on the go for a low-key, low-maintenance look. If you’d rather your face look sun-kissed, Bare Escentuals’ award-winning bareMinerals READY Bronzer is the perfect way to add some faux sun to your cheeks. Of course, this product can be brushed all over your face, but for a subtle, summer look, a light dusting across your cheekbones and the bridge of your nose will do the trick.
For a super-pigmented blast of color on your lids, Urban Decay has created the perfect line of shadows. With colors ranging from deep mocha to mermaid blue shimmer, your lids will always align with your whims. To add some definition to your eyes, Urban Decay also makes a great eye pencil that stays put for as long as you need it to. The 24/7 Glide-On Pencil comes in 15 vegan colors to please all personalities and suit all occasions. To complete an eye-catching look, Gabriel Cosmetics, Inc.’s ZuZu Luxe Mascara is your best bet for long, thick, sweeping lashes.
Lip Tar by Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics is the lovechild of the classic matte lipstick and modern lip gloss, and beauty editors can’t get enough of it. The greatest part about this product is that it is extremely concentrated; a little really does go a long way. The second greatest thing? It feels weightless on your lips. But before you complete your fresh, polished face with some long-lasting lip color, hydrate your pout with Stark Skincare’s Grapefruit Cleanse + Hydrate Balm. Rich in natural shea fruit butter, raw organic cocoa butter, and essential oils, your lips will look lovely in the nude or under some sherbet-colored Cha Cha Lip Tar.
As you can see, there are still plenty of fabulous cosmetic companies out there that aim to please their customer’s beauty wishes while still caring for animals with the utmost compassion. Now go and give yourself a fabulous makeover.
Stand in Line (or Not) for These 5 Vegan Black Friday and Cyber Monday Deals
Your favorite vegan shops are having great deals this weekend, so get shopping already.
Read More »
7 Foolproof Ways to Help You Survive Thanksgiving As a Vegan
Follow our seven tips for having the sort of Thanksgiving youll never forget.
Read More »
An Open Letter to 18-Year-Old, Soon-to-Be-Vegetarian Me
In honor of my 20-year vegetarian anniversary on Thanksgiving, I decided to write a letter to my younger self.
Read More »
6 Vegan Thanksgiving Dinners for Any Food-Obsessed New Yorker
The Big Apple and its surrounding communities is redefining Thanksgiving with a cruelty-free twist.
Read More »
15 Vegan Hacks for Your Favorite Fast-Food Joints
Drive through one of these eateries for the most vegan National Fast Food Day ever.
Read More »
- Olympic Medalist Bicycles Into Massive Vegan Concert, FTW
- 8 Ways to Veganize Everything in Your Fridge Without Anyone Noticing
- Is Your Meat-Eating Loved One Driving You Up the Wall? Here's How to Deal.
- 10 Foolproof Ways to Make Your Vegan Holiday Celebration Fabulous and Unforgettable
- 5 Life Lessons I Learned in the Prison Garden
- 9 Vegan Ways to Hack Classic Holiday Pies
- 11 Vegan Nacho Recipes That Will Make You Forget About Taco Tuesday
- 9 Ways to Ensure Your Vegan Fall Wardrobe Makes You Look Hella Cute
- 6 Vegan Songs to Add to Your Fall Music Playlist
- 8 Vegan Treats for Your Companion Animals (and Maybe You)
- Vegan Parenting is Taking Over the Internet
- 6 New Vegan Pastas That Will Change the Way You Eat Dinner
- And the Winners of the 2017 Veggie Awards are …
- How Moby is Changing the World One Vegan Concert at a Time
- 10 Scary Halloween Costumes Only Vegans Will Understand
- 6 Vegan-Friendly Cat Cafés Where You Can Celebrate National Cat Day
- 5 Vegan Ways to Drink Your Chocolate
- The VegNews Guide to Perfect Halloween Pumpkins
- 7 Vegan Ways to Eat Your Beer on National American Beer Day
- 4 Innovative Vegan Companies We Found at Boston Veg Food Fest