Hip-Hop Mogul Russell Simmons Honored by Mercy For Animals
The INSPIRED gala event in New York City honors one of veganisms brightest stars.
“The show must go on,” inspired Mercy For Animals Executive Director Nathan Runkle in Hurricane Sandy-ravaged Manhattan last Saturday night, barely 24 hours after the plug had been pulled on the famed New York City Marathon due to the aftermath of this year’s “storm of the century.”
And the show did carry on inside Press Lounge, the stunning award-winning rooftop bar with panoramic views of the urban skyline high above the chic, boutique Ink48 Hotel of New York’s Hell’s Kitchen. Nearly 200 MFA supporters gathered for a much-needed evening pause from the power outages, hours-long gas lines, and massive clean up at INSPIRED: A Night with Russell Simmons, to fête the hip-hop mogul with a Compassionate Leadership Award for his “dedication to and compassion for all sentient creatures.”
A who’s-who of the always-fashionable New York veganista scene (Joshua Katcher in a bow tie! My, look at Leanne Mai-ly Hilgart … is that James Bond on her arm? Hold on—a Honey LaBronx citing in Manhattan!) squeezed elbow-to-elbow into the lounge and enclosed wrap-around patio, catching up on Sandy stories and sipping the free-flowing liquid hors d’oeuvres while scarfing down scrumptious, delectable passed appetizers from Print Restaurant. The tasty menu included Shiitake-Cabbage Wontons with Scallion Ginger Sauce, Eggplant Empanadas with Pepper Coulis, and Skewers of Grilled Tempeh.
The guest of honor was introduced by animal activist extraordinaire Simone Reyes, who has somehow managed to work for Simmons for 28 years though she doesn’t appear to be that age herself. Reyes’ speech was passionate and funny, as she compared and contrasted the “old” party-boy Russell Simmons to the new vegan/yogi version, before concluding with “and the old Russell Simmons only dated the world’s most beautiful woman (pause) … well, some things never change” to resounding applause and laughter.
Characteristically, a humbled Simmons thanked all of the activists in the room for their tireless, out-of-the-limelight work, and praised Runkle and the MFA team for bringing continued media exposure to the plight of animals through their investigations and media presence.
Check out a full photo gallery from INSPIRED.
10 Reasons New Vegan Documentary The Game Changers Will Literally Change Every Game
One part What the Health and ten parts of the most inspiring fitness routine you've ever seen, this new film—executively produced by James Cameron—will have you sweating in your seat.
Read More »
25 Accidentally Vegan Snacks You Can Find at Virtually Any Convenience Store
Forget the quinoa, and pass the Sour Patch Kids.
Read More »
14 Ways to Step Up Your Vegan Popcorn Game
Whether you prefer savory or sweet, weve got something for everyone on this list of snack-worthy recipes to celebrate National Popcorn Day.
Read More »
In 2018, Being Vegan Also Means Being a Recycler
Recycling saves the planet (and its inhabitants) and is great for tight budgets.
Read More »
Well, That Was Quick. 7 Ways Were Breaking Our 2018 Resolutions with the New Vegan Ben & Jerrys Flavors
The debut of the new flavors from this iconic ice cream brand have us dreaming of all the ways we plan on eating them.
Read More »
- How a Vegan Celebrity Chef Became One of Biggest Influencers in Atlanta
- 4 Vegan Athletes Who Think You Need to Join the #PlantMilkChallenge
- From 6 Months to Live to a New Lease On Life: Veganism Saved Her Life
- If Your Baby Could Talk, They Would Tell You They Really Want Vegan Diaper Ointments
- If Going Vegan is Your Resolution This Year, Read This
- 2018 is the Year of the Vegan Wine and Cheese Pairings
- How a Vegan Restaurateur Balances Work and a Hunter Husband
- You Are Only 6 Steps Away from Your Best Vegan Year Ever
- Everything You Need to Know About Milk Substitutes
- Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams' Enforced Policy Literally Saved His Life
- Frick 2017! Heres What VegNews Editors Plan to Do in 2018 …
- Want to Lower Your Blood Pressure? Go Vegan!
- Are Your Sweeteners as Vegan and Ethical as You Are?
- Is So-Called Clean Meat Vegan? Paul Shapiro Has the Answer
- The VegNews Vegan Starter Kit
- The 12 Best Vegan Desserts of All Time at Trader Joes
- Winter Doesnt Stand a Chance Thanks to These 5 Vegan Skin Products
- Why Jackie Day Should Be Your New Vegan BFF
- 9 Vegan Startups You Need to Know About in 2018
- 2018 is the Year Your Skin Goes Vegan, Too