VNs Top 7 Favorite Summertime Recipes
Nosh on our all-time favorite summer eats while you soak up some vitamin D—the only thing missing is a colorful umbrella in your drink.
Want to serve your guests delicious dishes that will make your next beach bash or backyard BBQ unforgettable? We dug into the VegNews vault and scoured some of our favorite food blogs to compile a list of must-have summertime recipes. Here are seven desserts, appetizers, and entrées your party patrons won’t be able to resist digging into.
1. Stone Fruit Bruchetta Orange Cream Crostinis
Nothing screams summer like stone fruits—what are stone fruits you ask? They’re sweet fleshy fruits that have a hard pit center: summer gems such as peaches, nectarines, mangoes, and plums. Juicy bits of peaches and cherries top a luscious bed of cashew-based cream on toasted bread in this must-make summer recipe from Vegan Yack Attack.
2. Summer Reboot Salad
If there’s anyone who knows their way around a delicious salad, it’s vegan blogger Kathy Patalsky, and she’s whipped up a colorful bowl of greens that will give you a radiant glow. A merry blend of kale, corn, white miso tahini dressing, and an optional dollop of hummus for extra zest, is why this is the salad summer was made for.
3. Southern Belle-ini Cocktail
Have a little summertime fun with a Southern-inspired cocktail from Spabettie. It’s infused with the fruity flavors of peach and pina colada and topped with fresh raspberries and green sprigs. Just a few quick whirls in the blender will give way to a lovely gradient from ruby red to pretty pink, accompanied by a sparkle that only rum could give.
4. Coffee Cream Brownie Bites
Everyone knows ice coffee is a summer staple—and around the VNHQ, coffee itself, in every form, is a must. So imagine our surprise when vegan food blog extraordinaire Chocolate Covered Katie made us realize that there was one way we hadn’t yet tried coffee: raw! These no-bake bites are cool on the palate and just sweet enough to make you sing: "Summertime and the livin’s easy..."
5. Cauliflower Jerky
You may have heard a certain someone (psst ... it was us) declare cauliflower as the next kale, but this perfect pool-side snack may just elevate cauliflower above its leafy green counterpart, because we’ve never heard of jerky kale. Smoky, salty, and sriracha-y, nothing beats the flavorful crunch of these jerky cauliflower bites.
6. Smoked Chickpea Burger
Fire up the grill because summer parties just aren’t complete without a hearty burger and side of piping hot fries. Say goodbye to frozen soy patties from your grocery store’s freezer section because these Smoked Chickpea Burgers are here to stay. Want more grill-worthy inspiration? Pick up a copy of our July+August ‘13 burger issue!
7. Vanilla Breve Latte Ice Cream
What is a summer favorites list without ice cream? Not to mention Spabettie's vegan sweet treat has a special ingredient of the cocoa bean variety we’ve already professed our unwavering love for. Combine these three delicious ingredients—raw cashews, French vanilla creamer, and instant coffee granules—in three simple steps and you’ll be able to beat the heat, waffle cone in hand.
Photo credit: Kathy Patalsky
The Top 15 Vegan Recipes of 2014
From mac 'n' cheese to veganized Girl Scout cookies, we unveil the year's most popular (and downright delicious) vegan recipes.
Read More »
Earth Balance Named "Company of the Year"
From mac & cheese, cheddar puffs, and vegan Cheez-Its, Earth Balance does vegan right.
Read More »
DIY Vegan Holiday Gifts
Spending mucho moola not your idea of a happy holiday? These DIY gifts are green and affordable.
Read More »
The 2014 Veggie Awards
Our 13th annual list of the very best of all things vegan is finally here! Read on for this years reader picks for todays hottest vegan people, places, and products.
Read More »
4 Easy Vegan Sides Your Entire Family Will Love
Hosting a family dinner this holiday season? These side dishes are sure-fire winners for every guest at your table.
Read More »
- Thanksgiving Salad with Cranberries, Apples, & Caramelized Pecans
- Robin Robertson: My Top 10 Vegan Dishes Around the World
- 3 Vegan Thanksgiving Sides from the Experts
- 10 Downright Delicious Dessert Thanksgiving Recipes
- 3 Simple Timelines for a Stress-Free Vegan Thanksgiving
- The Ultimate Vegan Halloween Party Tips & Menu
- 5 Mouthwatering Vegan Pumpkin Recipes
- The 2014 VegNews Guide to Vegan Halloween Candy
- How to Make Tofu: A Step-by-Step Photo Guide
- How to Date a Meat-Eater
- Vegan Weddings 2014: Laura Robeson & Danielle Davis
- Vegan Weddings 2014: Alison Longley & Theodore Ross Butler
- Everything You Need to Know About Juicing
- Vegan Weddings 2014: Ashley Moore & Jordan Coates
- Guide to Vegan Baking
- How to Make Great Vegan Mexican Food at Home
- Vegan Weddings 2014: Aliya & Michael Weber
- 10 Creative Ways to Use Nut Butters
- VegNews Exclusive: An Interview with John Joseph
- 10 Foods to Help Get Rid of Stress