VNs Top 7 Favorite Summertime Recipes
Nosh on our all-time favorite summer eats while you soak up some vitamin D—the only thing missing is a colorful umbrella in your drink.
Want to serve your guests delicious dishes that will make your next beach bash or backyard BBQ unforgettable? We dug into the VegNews vault and scoured some of our favorite food blogs to compile a list of must-have summertime recipes. Here are seven desserts, appetizers, and entrées your party patrons won’t be able to resist digging into.
1. Stone Fruit Bruchetta Orange Cream Crostinis
Nothing screams summer like stone fruits—what are stone fruits you ask? They’re sweet fleshy fruits that have a hard pit center: summer gems such as peaches, nectarines, mangoes, and plums. Juicy bits of peaches and cherries top a luscious bed of cashew-based cream on toasted bread in this must-make summer recipe from Vegan Yack Attack.
2. Summer Reboot Salad
If there’s anyone who knows their way around a delicious salad, it’s vegan blogger Kathy Patalsky, and she’s whipped up a colorful bowl of greens that will give you a radiant glow. A merry blend of kale, corn, white miso tahini dressing, and an optional dollop of hummus for extra zest, is why this is the salad summer was made for.
3. Southern Belle-ini Cocktail
Have a little summertime fun with a Southern-inspired cocktail from Spabettie. It’s infused with the fruity flavors of peach and pina colada and topped with fresh raspberries and green sprigs. Just a few quick whirls in the blender will give way to a lovely gradient from ruby red to pretty pink, accompanied by a sparkle that only rum could give.
4. Coffee Cream Brownie Bites
Everyone knows ice coffee is a summer staple—and around the VNHQ, coffee itself, in every form, is a must. So imagine our surprise when vegan food blog extraordinaire Chocolate Covered Katie made us realize that there was one way we hadn’t yet tried coffee: raw! These no-bake bites are cool on the palate and just sweet enough to make you sing: "Summertime and the livin’s easy..."
5. Cauliflower Jerky
You may have heard a certain someone (psst ... it was us) declare cauliflower as the next kale, but this perfect pool-side snack may just elevate cauliflower above its leafy green counterpart, because we’ve never heard of jerky kale. Smoky, salty, and sriracha-y, nothing beats the flavorful crunch of these jerky cauliflower bites.
6. Smoked Chickpea Burger
Fire up the grill because summer parties just aren’t complete without a hearty burger and side of piping hot fries. Say goodbye to frozen soy patties from your grocery store’s freezer section because these Smoked Chickpea Burgers are here to stay. Want more grill-worthy inspiration? Pick up a copy of our July+August ‘13 burger issue!
7. Vanilla Breve Latte Ice Cream
What is a summer favorites list without ice cream? Not to mention Spabettie's vegan sweet treat has a special ingredient of the cocoa bean variety we’ve already professed our unwavering love for. Combine these three delicious ingredients—raw cashews, French vanilla creamer, and instant coffee granules—in three simple steps and you’ll be able to beat the heat, waffle cone in hand.
Photo credit: Kathy Patalsky
How to Veganize Syrian Cuisine
Honor Syria by indulging in flavors that celebrate an ancient civilization—sans the meat and dairy.
Read More »
7 Vegan Ice Creams We Love That Arent Ben & Jerrys
Celebrate the vegan ice cream makers whove been doing dairy-free ice cream long before the Vermont brand entered the scene.
Read More »
6 Ways to Make Your Quinoa Taste Even Better
Its time to start incorporating quinoa into your diet in new, fun ways.
Read More »
Vegan Red Velvet Beet Shake
Vibrant, sweet, and super-smooth, this better-for-you shake will make any lovers heart skip a beet.
Read More »
5 Rules for Making Vegan Chocolates at Home
A rich, smooth chocolate confection is a joyous thing. Follow these essential tips to create your own DIY Valentine's gift.
Read More »
- 4 Vegan Tasting Menus to Celebrate Valentines Day
- A Vegan Valentines Day You Cant Beet
- 5 Workout Ideas for the Vegan Couple
- 6 Ways to Raise a Vegan Child in a Non-Vegan World
- 10 Vegan Game Day Cocktails
- 4 Best Vegan-Friendly Chain Restaurants to Watch the Super Bowl
- 10 Best Vegan Super Bowl Recipes on Instagram
- 7 Vegan Super Bowl Recipes That Rule
- 4 Reasons Americans are Addicted to Food
- 5 Hot Food Trends for 2017 that Just Happen to Be Vegan
- Mini Mexican Chocolate Soufflés
- The VegNews Guide to Vegan Girl Scout Cookies
- 7 Tips to Prevent Injury for Vegan Athletes
- Vegan Double-Chocolate Cherry Chunk Ice Cream
- National Peanut Butter Day, Vegans, & Bachelors
- Vegan Super Bowl Eats That are a Culinary Touchdown
- Vegan Chai Breakfast Pudding
- 4 Mouthwatering Vegan Super Bowl Recipes
- 6 Reasons You'll Never Need Dairy Again
- How to Veganize a Traditional English Breakfast