VegNews Guide to Coffee Flavored Food
For those hot summer days when iced coffee just isnt enough, we give you coffee sweets, pastries, and one special savory caffeinated dish.
Whether it’s dripped, sipped, percolated, caffeinated, iced, hot, or anything in between, coffee remains an indelible, all-occasion beverage. We use it to kickstart our mornings, take a break from work, or simply socialize with our nearest and dearest. Enjoy these eight, uniquely vegan java-centric recipes that take your morning cup of Joe to a whole new level.
1. Vegan Espresso Coffee Cake
If there’s anything we love more than drinking coffee, it’s eating it—and eating it encased in a warm chocolate-y fresh-from-the-oven cake. This recipe from Vegan Thyme calls for a blend of whole wheat and all-purpose flour to get the coffee cake crumble just right, and did we mention the palate-pleasing addition of sea salt for a sweet-and-savory goodness? You’re welcome.
2. Vegan Coffee Ice Cream
When the mercury rises and summer temperatures begin to boil, top your cold-brew coffee with a cup of homemade vegan coffee ice cream. The coconut milk in this recipe provides the richness while the almond milk smoothes out the rough edges of strong black coffee.
3. Vanilla Latte Chia Parfait
While we generally like our vanilla soy lattes piping hot first thing in the morning, warmer temperatures invite cooler caffeinated alternatives such as Vegan Yack Attack’s Vanilla Latte Chia Parfait. This recipe has a strong espresso flavor, agave and vanilla for a touch of sweetness, and all the health benefits of chia seeds in one beautifully layered morning parfait.
4. Vegan Coffee Cookie
We may be a few months early for Christmas, but we’ve got this Vegan Coffee Cookie recipe on reserve for a certain jolly, red-suited man with a white beard and an affinity for chimneys. While other people place boring cookies beside their glass of soymilk for Santa, we’re going to bake a batch that’ll make sure Saint Nick hits all the houses this year.
5. Coffee Almond Crunch Cupcakes
We couldn’t possibly have such a sweet list of coffee-inspired dishes without coffee cupcakes. But these aren’t just any coffee cupcakes: they’re Coffee Almond Crunch Cupcakes from baking guru Chloe Coscarelli. Enough said.
6. Raw Vegan Espresso Brownies
Just because we’re coffee (and coffee dessert) junkies doesn’t necessarily mean we aren’t conscious of our health! These espresso brownie bites are raw, grain-free, and naturally sweetened with medjool dates. We couldn’t ask for more—except maybe a cool cup of rice milk to wash it all down!
7. Creamy Boozy Iced Coffee
We love decadence and creativity, but you can’t go wrong with a classic. Don’t fix what isn’t broke they say, and we’re listening with this basic iced coffee recipe that calls for a little non-dairy creamer and cold-brew coffee, but we won’t leave it at just that. The recipe also calls for a splash of hazelnut liqueur, which we think is a very good idea.
8. Coffee-Braised Seitan
Though this list may make you jittery from the caffeine and sugar in our sweet recipes, here’s an innovative savory seitan surprise to even you out: coffee-braised seitan topped with toasted pine nuts and served with a side of hearty mashed potatoes. Try ordering that at a Starbucks!
Learn about the unlikely health benefits of coffee.
Photo credit: Veega
DIY Vegan Holiday Gifts
Spending mucho moola not your idea of a happy holiday? These DIY gifts are green and affordable.
Read More »
5 Foods to Keep Your Teeth Healthy this Holiday Season
As you dig in at your next holiday soirée, make sure to indulge in these five vegan options for optimal dental health.
Read More »
Holiday Classics Veganized
This holiday season, indulge in all of your favorite traditions with these cruelty-free renditions of winter's most-anticipated treats.
Read More »
3 Vegan Thanksgiving Sides from the Experts
Three culinary geniuses share scrumptious vegan sides perfect for UnTurkey Day.
Read More »
Thanksgiving Salad with Cranberries, Apples, & Caramelized Pecans
VegNews' co-founder Colleen Holland shares one of her favorite holiday dishes, complete with sweet, caramelized pecans that are sure to dazzle your guests.
Read More »
- 3 Simple Timelines for a Stress-Free Vegan Thanksgiving
- 5 Pancakes for a Cheerfully Decadent Holiday Season
- 10 Downright Delicious Dessert Thanksgiving Recipes
- VN Thanksgiving Exclusive: Five Holiday Centerpieces
- 10 Amazing Savory Thanksgiving Recipes
- Toddy Takeover: 10 Amazing Vegan Cold-Weather Cocktails
- 3 Creative Trimmings for 3 Classic Holiday Pies
- The Ultimate Vegan Getaway: The Stanford Inn
- 7 Inflammation-Reducing Food Groups
- 14 Game-Changing Avocado Recipes
- 5 Foods to Beautify Your Hair from the Inside Out
- VN Recipe Round Up: 7 Fall Favorites
- VegNews Exclusive: Top Tips for An All-Star Vegan Brunch
- Just In Time for Halloween! The 2013 VegNews Guide to Vegan Candy
- The Ultimate Vegan Halloween Party Tips & Menu
- 5 Mouthwatering Vegan Pumpkin Recipes
- A Day in the Life of A Vegan Food Truck Entrepreneur
- The #1 Way to Make Sure You Eat Your Greens First
- LA's Hottest Eatery: Crossroads Kitchen
- Gluten-Free, Kid-Approved Lunchtime Recipes