VegNews Guide to Coffee Flavored Food
For those hot summer days when iced coffee just isnt enough, we give you coffee sweets, pastries, and one special savory caffeinated dish.
Whether it’s dripped, sipped, percolated, caffeinated, iced, hot, or anything in between, coffee remains an indelible, all-occasion beverage. We use it to kickstart our mornings, take a break from work, or simply socialize with our nearest and dearest. Enjoy these eight, uniquely vegan java-centric recipes that take your morning cup of Joe to a whole new level.
1. Vegan Espresso Coffee Cake
If there’s anything we love more than drinking coffee, it’s eating it—and eating it encased in a warm chocolate-y fresh-from-the-oven cake. This recipe from Vegan Thyme calls for a blend of whole wheat and all-purpose flour to get the coffee cake crumble just right, and did we mention the palate-pleasing addition of sea salt for a sweet-and-savory goodness? You’re welcome.
2. Vegan Coffee Ice Cream
When the mercury rises and summer temperatures begin to boil, top your cold-brew coffee with a cup of homemade vegan coffee ice cream. The coconut milk in this recipe provides the richness while the almond milk smoothes out the rough edges of strong black coffee.
3. Vanilla Latte Chia Parfait
While we generally like our vanilla soy lattes piping hot first thing in the morning, warmer temperatures invite cooler caffeinated alternatives such as Vegan Yack Attack’s Vanilla Latte Chia Parfait. This recipe has a strong espresso flavor, agave and vanilla for a touch of sweetness, and all the health benefits of chia seeds in one beautifully layered morning parfait.
4. Vegan Coffee Cookie
We may be a few months early for Christmas, but we’ve got this Vegan Coffee Cookie recipe on reserve for a certain jolly, red-suited man with a white beard and an affinity for chimneys. While other people place boring cookies beside their glass of soymilk for Santa, we’re going to bake a batch that’ll make sure Saint Nick hits all the houses this year.
5. Coffee Almond Crunch Cupcakes
We couldn’t possibly have such a sweet list of coffee-inspired dishes without coffee cupcakes. But these aren’t just any coffee cupcakes: they’re Coffee Almond Crunch Cupcakes from baking guru Chloe Coscarelli. Enough said.
6. Raw Vegan Espresso Brownies
Just because we’re coffee (and coffee dessert) junkies doesn’t necessarily mean we aren’t conscious of our health! These espresso brownie bites are raw, grain-free, and naturally sweetened with medjool dates. We couldn’t ask for more—except maybe a cool cup of rice milk to wash it all down!
7. Creamy Boozy Iced Coffee
We love decadence and creativity, but you can’t go wrong with a classic. Don’t fix what isn’t broke they say, and we’re listening with this basic iced coffee recipe that calls for a little non-dairy creamer and cold-brew coffee, but we won’t leave it at just that. The recipe also calls for a splash of hazelnut liqueur, which we think is a very good idea.
8. Coffee-Braised Seitan
Though this list may make you jittery from the caffeine and sugar in our sweet recipes, here’s an innovative savory seitan surprise to even you out: coffee-braised seitan topped with toasted pine nuts and served with a side of hearty mashed potatoes. Try ordering that at a Starbucks!
Learn about the unlikely health benefits of coffee.
Photo credit: Veega
How to Veganize Syrian Cuisine
Honor Syria by indulging in flavors that celebrate an ancient civilization—sans the meat and dairy.
Read More »
7 Vegan Ice Creams We Love That Arent Ben & Jerrys
Celebrate the vegan ice cream makers whove been doing dairy-free ice cream long before the Vermont brand entered the scene.
Read More »
6 Ways to Make Your Quinoa Taste Even Better
Its time to start incorporating quinoa into your diet in new, fun ways.
Read More »
Vegan Red Velvet Beet Shake
Vibrant, sweet, and super-smooth, this better-for-you shake will make any lovers heart skip a beet.
Read More »
5 Rules for Making Vegan Chocolates at Home
A rich, smooth chocolate confection is a joyous thing. Follow these essential tips to create your own DIY Valentine's gift.
Read More »
- 4 Vegan Tasting Menus to Celebrate Valentines Day
- A Vegan Valentines Day You Cant Beet
- 5 Workout Ideas for the Vegan Couple
- 6 Ways to Raise a Vegan Child in a Non-Vegan World
- 10 Vegan Game Day Cocktails
- 4 Best Vegan-Friendly Chain Restaurants to Watch the Super Bowl
- 10 Best Vegan Super Bowl Recipes on Instagram
- 7 Vegan Super Bowl Recipes That Rule
- 4 Reasons Americans are Addicted to Food
- 5 Hot Food Trends for 2017 that Just Happen to Be Vegan
- Mini Mexican Chocolate Soufflés
- The VegNews Guide to Vegan Girl Scout Cookies
- 7 Tips to Prevent Injury for Vegan Athletes
- Vegan Double-Chocolate Cherry Chunk Ice Cream
- National Peanut Butter Day, Vegans, & Bachelors
- Vegan Super Bowl Eats That are a Culinary Touchdown
- Vegan Chai Breakfast Pudding
- 4 Mouthwatering Vegan Super Bowl Recipes
- 6 Reasons You'll Never Need Dairy Again
- How to Veganize a Traditional English Breakfast