5 Foods to Keep Your Teeth Healthy this Holiday Season
As you dig in at your next holiday soirée, make sure to indulge in these five vegan options for optimal dental health.
Holidays are synonymous with food. They’re a time of plates and platters piled high with entrées, appetizers, and desserts just waiting to be dug into while you attempt to keep your tacky Christmas sweater food-free (a nearly impossible feat). The non-stop noshing and packed schedule can take a toll on your dental hygiene, and while the regular regimen of brushing and flossing is ever-important, if you choose the right foods, you can preserve your pearly-whites while you dine. Here are five animal-free options to include on your holiday menu, that will keep your smile as white as the newly fallen snow.
1. Fibrous Vegetables: Fibrous fruits and vegetables such as kale, spinach, and celery provide a whole-body health experience. Besides containing a plethora of vitamins and nutrients, they also clean your teeth while you eat, like tiny delicious toothbrushes. Vegetables also increase saliva levels in the mouth, which helps neutralize cavity culprits such as acids and enzymes. Dine in style with this Kale and Delicata Squash Salad with Citrus-Maple Vinaigrette, courtesy of vegetarian blog Oh My Veggies.
2. Green and Black Tea: Tea has long been touted by health advocates for its cancer-fighting capabilities, but medical evidence also shows that the ubiquitous beverage may help keep tooth decay and dental disease at bay. A 2009 study published in the Journal Periodontology, which analyzed 940 subjects, showed that those who consumed the highest amount green tea had the greatest periodontal (gum) health. Green and black tea’s positive dental effects may be attributed to the their high levels of polyphenols, an antioxidant that reduces the bacteria and acid that lead to cavities and other dental conditions. Get all your friends in on this beneficial beverage by hosting a tea party—check out our how-to guide for a tea-tastic time.
3. Strawberries: Strawberry's superior teeth whitening ability can give you an ultra-white smile for your next holiday card. The red and ripe fruit acts as an astringent, reversing discoloration that you may have gotten from your morning cup of coffee or red wine indulgence; they're is also packed with vitamin C, a nutrient that is crucial for dental health. Add strawberries to this colorful fruity concoction by Melissa Bragg for a beverage that will keep your smile pristine and your whole body healthy.
4. Water: This one-ingredient beverage and elixir for life is a key component to keeping your teeth clean, due to its added fluoride that helps fight tooth decay. If you prefer to indulge in the bottled variety, you may want to check the fluoride levels—some companies leave the cavity-fighting compound out, leaving you devoid of water’s smile-worthy benefits.
5. Nuts: Put out a bowl of mixed nuts at your next holiday shindig. These protein packed morsels not only contain a plethora of nutrients such as magnesium, iron, thiamine, vitamin E, vitamin B6, potassium, and zinc, but they supply a healthy dose of calcium, which helps keep teeth strong. Nuts also stimulate saliva flow to keep harmful bacteria away. This Raw Cranberry Walnut Tart from The Sweet Life is the perfect nutty treat for the dessert course.
Photo credit: fashaddix.com
Very Berry Vegan Popsicles
Make this refreshing homemade version of a classic treat by blending together berries, fruit juice, and a little sweetener.
Read More »
Raw Vegan Teriyaki Noodles
Get ready for warmer weather by sprucing up your raw culinary skills with these light noodles.
Read More »
10 Best Vegan Summer Snacks at Trader Joe's
From new vegan marshmallows to mango mochi, our ultimate list of Trader Joe's snacks will get this summer party started.
Read More »
Vegan Mint Chip Ice Cream
This smooth chocolate ice cream accented by fresh mint is sure to brighten up any hot summer day.
Read More »
10 Best Vegan Summer Ice Cream Photos on Instagram
Summer is here, which means its time to eat ALL the ice cream.
Read More »
- Vegan Mini Lemon Bundt Cakes
- Vegan Coffee Chip Frozen Yogurt
- Vegan Vanilla Ice Cream
- 6 Staples and 6 Saving Strategies for Solo Meals
- Vegan Peanut Butter Frozen Yogurt
- DIY Soy-Free Vegan Pepperoni, Meatballs, and More
- 5 Tips from an Aspiring Vegan Cook
- Vegan Mixed Berry Fruit Crisp
- 7 Inflammation-Reducing Vegan Food Groups
- Vegan Udon Noodle Bowl
- Vegan Fudge Popsicles
- Hampton Creek Reveals 43 New Products
- Vegan Citrus Popsicles
- 3 Irresistible Gluten-Free Summertime Eats
- 10 Things We Cant Wait to Eat at the Vegan Beer & Food Festival
- How to Veganize Any Recipe: Sweet Edition
- A Complete Guide to Vegan Starbucks #PinkDrinks
- 6 Kitchen Staples You Can Make at Home
- 10 Vegan Products to Celebrate Hemp History Week
- Vegan Lemony White Bean Dip