5 Foods to Keep Your Teeth Healthy this Holiday Season
As you dig in at your next holiday soirée, make sure to indulge in these five vegan options for optimal dental health.
Holidays are synonymous with food. They’re a time of plates and platters piled high with entrées, appetizers, and desserts just waiting to be dug into while you attempt to keep your tacky Christmas sweater food-free (a nearly impossible feat). The non-stop noshing and packed schedule can take a toll on your dental hygiene, and while the regular regimen of brushing and flossing is ever-important, if you choose the right foods, you can preserve your pearly-whites while you dine. Here are five animal-free options to include on your holiday menu, that will keep your smile as white as the newly fallen snow.
1. Fibrous Vegetables: Fibrous fruits and vegetables such as kale, spinach, and celery provide a whole-body health experience. Besides containing a plethora of vitamins and nutrients, they also clean your teeth while you eat, like tiny delicious toothbrushes. Vegetables also increase saliva levels in the mouth, which helps neutralize cavity culprits such as acids and enzymes. Dine in style with this Kale and Delicata Squash Salad with Citrus-Maple Vinaigrette, courtesy of vegetarian blog Oh My Veggies.
2. Green and Black Tea: Tea has long been touted by health advocates for its cancer-fighting capabilities, but medical evidence also shows that the ubiquitous beverage may help keep tooth decay and dental disease at bay. A 2009 study published in the Journal Periodontology, which analyzed 940 subjects, showed that those who consumed the highest amount green tea had the greatest periodontal (gum) health. Green and black tea’s positive dental effects may be attributed to the their high levels of polyphenols, an antioxidant that reduces the bacteria and acid that lead to cavities and other dental conditions. Get all your friends in on this beneficial beverage by hosting a tea party—check out our how-to guide for a tea-tastic time.
3. Strawberries: Strawberry's superior teeth whitening ability can give you an ultra-white smile for your next holiday card. The red and ripe fruit acts as an astringent, reversing discoloration that you may have gotten from your morning cup of coffee or red wine indulgence; they're is also packed with vitamin C, a nutrient that is crucial for dental health. Add strawberries to this colorful fruity concoction by Melissa Bragg for a beverage that will keep your smile pristine and your whole body healthy.
4. Water: This one-ingredient beverage and elixir for life is a key component to keeping your teeth clean, due to its added fluoride that helps fight tooth decay. If you prefer to indulge in the bottled variety, you may want to check the fluoride levels—some companies leave the cavity-fighting compound out, leaving you devoid of water’s smile-worthy benefits.
5. Nuts: Put out a bowl of mixed nuts at your next holiday shindig. These protein packed morsels not only contain a plethora of nutrients such as magnesium, iron, thiamine, vitamin E, vitamin B6, potassium, and zinc, but they supply a healthy dose of calcium, which helps keep teeth strong. Nuts also stimulate saliva flow to keep harmful bacteria away. This Raw Cranberry Walnut Tart from The Sweet Life is the perfect nutty treat for the dessert course.
Photo credit: fashaddix.com
Vegan Strawberry Shortcake
In addition to being the base of a mouthwatering fruit filling, strawberries add flavor and sweetness to the biscuits, which are delicious enough to be eaten on their own.
Read More »
Top 10 Vegan Dishes to Celebrate Junk Food Day
Towering double-decker burgers, deep-fried Oreos, and apple pie pizza are a few of the ways to get into the holiday spirit.
Read More »
Vegan Avocado Nori Crostini
Take your morning avocado toast to the next level with the addition of nori, walnuts, and chia seeds.
Read More »
Vegan Tofu Scramble
Who needs eggs when a delicious, cholesterol-free tofu scramble can be whipped up in no time?
Read More »
Vegan Chocolate Pudding Popsicles
For a smooth chocolaty pudding pop, turn an easy chocolate mousse into a great frozen summer treat.
Read More »
- 3 Cheap Ways to Stock Your Vegan Bar
- Baked Vegan Eggplant & Zucchini Chips
- Vegan Harissa Sauce
- 6 Vegan Fried Chicken Dishes to Celebrate National Fried Chicken Day
- Ultimate Guide to Vegan Baking
- Garden Fresh Vegan Ratatouille
- 5 Delectable (and Easy!) Gourmet Vegan Popsicles
- Vegan Orange Creamsicle Popsicles
- Vegan Zucchini Walnut Bread
- 7 Ways To Create Healthy Desserts
- 10 Cool Waters You Need to Know Now
- Vegan S'mores Brownies
- Vegan Vegetable Couscous
- 7 Expert Tips for Making Vegan Ice Cream
- The Ultimate Vegan Grilling Menu
- Vegan Chocolate Ice Cream
- 9 Kid-Friendly Summer Starbucks Drinks
- Vegan Basil Pistou
- 3 Delectable Summer Dips
- Very Berry Vegan Popsicles